Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:14:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

People you like who everybody else hates.

Started by Ciarán2, February 16, 2007, 12:50:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

23 Daves

Quote from: "Shoulders?-Stomach!"What exactly has she said that is so controversial? All I've read is some predictable and rather mild comments that effectively harm no-one. She isn't really outspoken, just a person who is in the right position in the market to be able to say some of what she thinks. And given how depressing that sounds, it doesn't make for likeability in my opinion.

She completely slagged the NME off to the extent that I'd be surprised if they bother to interview her or give her a favourable review again...  making remarks about the editor's sexist attitude towards female musicians.  I would dig it all out again, but we've already been through it on here once before.

Jemble Fred

I'll always sneer at Paul McCartney-haters â€" very rarely bother to defend him though, partially because he has made a lot of shit decisions in his life, but mainly because he needs no defending. He's paul fucking McCartney, aftr all.

And I still don't understand any problems folk have with Phill Jupitus. The closest I can get is contemplating envy â€" the guy's worked with Billy Bragg AND The Bonzos! And he seems incredibly genuine and pleasant through and through.

Mr Wrong

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"

And I still don't understand any problems folk have with Phill Jupitus. The closest I can get is contemplating envy â€" the guy's worked with ...
Guy? Isn't Phill Jupitus that lesbian off Buzzcocks?

23 Daves

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"And I still don't understand any problems folk have with Phill Jupitus. The closest I can get is contemplating envy â€" the guy's worked with Billy Bragg AND The Bonzos! And he seems incredibly genuine and pleasant through and through.

For reasons known only to himself, Phil Jupitus lives in the same (utterly rubbish) town as my parents, and can regularly be seen chatting with the serving ladies in the bakery section of the local Sainsburys.  As soon as my mother told me this, though, I found myself thinking "Ha, cakes and pastries... that makes sense, he would be friendly to them, wouldn't he?"

He is apparently an incredibly nice chap, though.  And if he's nice to my mother then that's extra-impressive, because she can be a right cow.

Ciarán2

Quote from: "Brutus Beefcake"I thought everyone loves Tony Benn?  He seems like a nice enough guy but he comes across as an idiot in this clip with Richard Dawkins...

Well I think quite the opposite! Interestingly, Dawkins and Benn seem to kind of persuade each other to some extent there. Both go from their original positions to a kind of tentative agnosticism.

The Duck Man

Regarding Warnock, you Premiership-centric chaps have only seen the open, honest, fairly witty and smiley Warnock. You forget that for ten years he's been arsing on in Division One about how poor old Sheffield United, kings of the Division, should be in the Premiership. Now they're there he's dropped that and just kept the above stuff because they're the hard-done-by underdogs.

For that reason I've warmed to him this season, and would probably say I like him. He certainly is aware of his villain-status amongst many sets of fans and plays up to it. But he can frequently be an arse.

Boothroyd's better.

Geraint

i have a soft spot for Warnock because he did a good job at Plymouth Argyle under difficult circumstances, and was sacked for siding with his playing squad in a dispute with our terrible then-chairman.

i can see exactly why he comes off as a bit of a twat, and that game where he was encouraging his players to get sent off in order to get the match abandoned was disgraceful, but anything bad you can say about him applies tenfold to Sam Allardyce, surely the biggest hypocrite in top flight football?

hoverdonkey

Well Russell Brand springs to mind, but he's a tricky one in this context because there are plenty of people on here who like him. Still, most of the world seems to hate him and I can see why, but he makes me laugh.

Quote from: "hoverdonkey"Well Russell Brand springs to mind, but he's a tricky one in this context because there are plenty of people on here who like him. Still, most of the world seems to hate him and I can see why, but he makes me laugh.

Seconded.

Fielding

One to rile the snooker heads here. But...

Peter Ebdon (or 'Ebbo' as he is affectionately known to me). A colour-blind snooker player who became world champion. Exciting player? No, but a gritty and determined one, focused and prepared for each match - and not just from hours at the practice table.

I don't care that he's gone to live in Dubai, because I'd probably do the same if I had the oppurtunity. To me, Ebbo represents making the most of the talent that you've got. A professional who holds himself together and doesn't squander oppurtunities - unlike a certain other player who is way out ahead in the snooker popularity stakes.

I know that Mark Williams is colour blind (can't tell the difference between brown and red).  What colourblindness does Ebbo, the tax dodging cunt who feels that he doesn't have to pay for society have?

Glebe

Garam

Tom Green for me. For 6 years or so, Tom Green has been the worst, most untalented comedian of all time and if you dispute this FACT then you're a moronic moron who doesn't appreciate clever comedy like Woody Allen, etc.

Pffft. Tom Green's just as bizarre as Andy Kaufman and funnier, he just doesn't hold with him anywhere near the same amount of hip points when you put him in your 'heroes' list on MySpace. Tom Green's great.

Errr, for the most part. Sometimes he does go a little bit OTT, I must say.

I don't think I've ever seen this Tom Green bloke, but this doesn't make me thirst for more:
Quote from: "Wikipedia"Tom and Glenn met and became friends, based on a common love of zany antics.
And another vote for "The Simpsons" from me.*  The episodes I've watched have often been funny but I do find the zeal for it sometimes overwhelming.  I've been thinking about it since this thread was started and come to the not very world shattering conclusion that it's simply because it's foreign.  I'm very keen on "The Larry Sanders Show" but there's a distancing layer there too.  Mind you, I really liked "Les Visiteurs" so maybe it's just American foreign that gets in the way.

* edit: oops, I've conflated the "Overrated" thread with this one.

Timmy O'Toole

Quote from: "Fielding"
I don't care that he's gone to live in Dubai, because I'd probably do the same if I had the oppurtunity.

Really? Really?

Glebe

I've seen Tom Green do a couple of funny things, but he sure got old fast.

Fielding

Quote from: "Timmy O'Toole"
Quote from: "Fielding"
I don't care that he's gone to live in Dubai, because I'd probably do the same if I had the oppurtunity.

Really? Really?

At least give it a try for a year or two.

levitica

I like Tony Blair.  Well, in a sympathetic sort of way.  Poor Tony Blair.
And Ronnie O Sullivan, Noel Fielding and Alaistair Cambell.

Captain Crunch

Why would anyone hate Ronnie O'Sullivan?  Did he beat up his missus or something?  I've always thought he was quite er, 'nice'.

Jack Shaftoe

I can't bring myself to hate Tony Blair - I keep thinking there's probably a really good reason for the Iraq thing (The US threatening us with bombs?) , and he's dying to tell us, but he might get shot if he does.

Also I quite like Razorlight, and Coldplay. But only for driving.

buttgammon

Quote from: "Captain Crunch"Why would anyone hate Ronnie O'Sullivan?  Did he beat up his missus or something?  I've always thought he was quite er, 'nice'.

I think his dad murdered someone. My grandmother always moans when the snooker comes on the TV, because she thinks it's an escaped murderer playing rather than the son of a murderer. It's not her fault, though. She's misinformed because she reads the Daily Express.

Abbatoir worker

Cristiano Ronaldo, Noel Fielding and Russell Brand - ALL for sex reasons, what have I become?

Also, no amount of backlash or pub bile will stop me loving Arctic Monkeys (although I reserve the right to shit-second-album based withdrawal from the argument, a la The Killers).

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteCristiano Ronaldo, Noel Fielding and Russell Brand - ALL for sex reasons

Argh

Abbatoir worker

Quote from: "Shoulders?-Stomach!"

Argh

Well, he did say it was the coming out thread...

butnut

Quote from: "Jack Shaftoe"Also I quite like Razorlight, and Coldplay. But only for driving repeatedly over their squashed, mulchy heads

Ah, much better.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: "Abbatoir worker"
Quote from: "Shoulders?-Stomach!"

Argh

Well, he did say it was the coming out thread...

And coming out is a difficult experience where you attract criticism. So I hear....

Jack Shaftoe

butnut describing the new darker-themed Top Gear there.

Note that I'm okay with Tony Blair, but can't quite bring myself to approve of Jeremy Clarkson.

Thus: my ethics. Clearly some work needed.

levitica

Quote from: "Captain Crunch"Why would anyone hate Ronnie O'Sullivan?  Did he beat up his missus or something?  I've always thought he was quite er, 'nice'.

I don't know why, but my relatives and my boyfriend both hate him.  Because he acts silly and they think his behavior means he should be barred from tournaments.  Pah.

I agree with Tony Blair.  I got to meet with him last year.  He seemed very depressed, like he didn't have the influence he wanted and people expected him to have.

Jack Shaftoe

I'm fairly sure the first thing that happens when you become PM is they tell you all the things you can't affect, but will be blamed for anyway. Then you must just think 'Oh. Right. Well, better make the best of it then.'

Hopefully they show you the aliens after that, to cheer you up a bit.

Mr Wrong

Quote from: "Jack Shaftoe"I'm fairly sure the first thing that happens when you become PM is they tell you all the things you can't affect, but will be blamed for anyway. Then you must just think 'Oh. Right. Well, better make the best of it then.'

Hopefully they show you the aliens after that, to cheer you up a bit.
I think when you enter number ten an American comes out of a secret door and says "Do everything we say Limey or we screw you and your little country into the dirt."