Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:21:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Your clothing preferences

Started by Mister Cairo, February 18, 2007, 01:28:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Cairo

What combination of your clothes do you most enjoy? Do you go for certain colours or styles? I was originally going to ask what people's favourite outfits were, but decided to broaden it.

I like blue jeans and dark tops (in particular black jumpers), and often wear the two together with some nice black socks. I don't know why I prefer drab clothes, it  might be because I feel more "urban" in them.

Shirts are okay but I loathe polo shirts. I hate the way the collar curls, the feel and the look. They look to me like someone is wearing a tiny flannel with buttons. I usually stick to t-shirts if I am not doing something very formal.

I don't like spending a lot of money on clothes, as I find I can get jeans for around £4 at Primark (horrible shop though, like walking into an idiot's living room) and t-shirts are often quite cheap if you just want plain ones.

Smackhead Kangaroo

I have spelling prefrances.

Although yes I am a cheapskate when it comes to clothing, and my ahem- style is fairly bland.

gazzyk1ns

I like a bit of meat on my girl, I'm not one of these SEXIST TOSSERS who... er, sorry, wrong biased generic spiel.

I like plain clothes.

I'm always baffled by people who declare their utter hate for "labels", but will then deliberately and proudly wear band T-shirts out and about. It's the same thing.

Brutus Beefcake

I don't see how.  I wear a band's shirt because I like their music.

gazzyk1ns

No, you wear a band's T-shit because you want to let other people know that you like their music. It's an advert, isn't it - "Look, I like this.". I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, of course, I don't believe there is.

I wear anything.  I don't mean I gut a fish and wear it as a t-shirt, like.  I mean my clothing preferences change.  

Some given things are that I change my hair colour often, as much of out habit as boredom.  I wear dresses and cardigans far more often than I wear trousers.  This is practical, as I am so short, yet big hipped, that I can't find trousers to fit.  I have the odd pair of jeans I've had to butcher to wear.  Dresses and tops of mine tend to show off cleavage- again, not intentional, I am tiny, things don't fit me properly. Due to taking some medications, my weight flucuates wildly (I've gained a stone and 7lbs in a month) so my clothes look a bit "off".  I favour bright colours.  I like stripes and red.  I wear bold make-up when out but no make up any other time. I like heels with dresses and flat, spotty trainers and DMs without.  I don't wear any jewellery.  I don't wear labels or logos and buy most of my clothes from charity shops as I tend to find the odd thing that fits there.

That's it, really.

My students asked me the other day why I dress like an army man. I said what do you mean and they said your clothes are such boring colours. I said it makes my face seem even more pretty and they laughed coyly with a glint so I know it's true. Chineys do tend to wear some pretty garish outfits though so I'm not that offended. I just have a propensity for wearing fairly muted clothes the older I get. As a student I'd wear some real 'wacky' stuff, you know brown jacket, red and white check shirt and green, blue and yellow tie with black skinny jeans plus ludicrous Japanese sneakers and suchlike. I don't look back and cringe, it was entirely appropriate at the time and really quite fun to dress up like a complete idiot when punting taxpayers' money down the river. In your face, White Van Man!

I still wear the odd flashy t-shirt but my definition of flashy is probably a lot more boring than yours. These days I like to wear a nice shirt, jeans and sweater, I've even started wearing shoes again for the first time since school, I think it suits me although sometimes I'll go freakout just because I know it makes my girlfriend excited. I think if she's making an effort to look dazzling the least I can do is give her a little support. It doesn't bother me either, I'm not ashamed or embarrassed about getting attention, I just think that it's not really my particular way of expressing myself. I think another thing is when the whole metrosexual shebang kicked in, I completely lost interest in clothes. I don't want to look like a clothes horse and I don't want my t-shirts ripped with streaks of cerise all over my jeans. Hideous prints and asymmetric detail, fucking repulsive clothes. It is absolutely hilarious though to see all the young dudes with their hair sculpted like Sonic, wearing a dayglo torn t-shirt, battered bleached lederhosen and flip-flops in your local pub, still drinking Wife Beater. A year earlier they were head-to-toe in Three Stripe, it's just a beautiful example of the blind leading the blind. I blame the fashion section of FHM. I guess my non-expression is a self-expression in itself - I reject everything you offer. Then again, I suppose it's the best way to attract a girl of equal mentality so there's no need to scoff, it's just normal people living normal lives with no sense of control over their choices.

Milo

My jeans are always black rather than blue.

Catalogue Trousers

My style was always cuban heeled ankle (or higher) boots, very long skirts and a pinched in waist. Blouses either in the high necked Edwardian style, or low cut Bavarian style. Generally dark colours and natural fibres. Wore my hair in a bun.

Since I've got ill though it's been almost entirely jeans, flat sandals and those loose low cut tops where the waist is just under the boobs.  Muted colours. Hair down.

Stylistically I've gone from T-Bag to Mamma Cass over the past two years.

Catalogue Trousers

Balls. That was MRS Trousers. Catalogue's style is more 'gay Harry H Corbett'.

Heh, I was wondering when you'd had the operation!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"No, you wear a band's T-shit because you want to let other people know that you like their music. It's an advert, isn't it - "Look, I like this.". I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, of course, I don't believe there is.

;-) He's right. A healthy proportion of people are being right this afternoon. Morbo is pleased.

I wear plain long sleeved tops usually brown, blue or olive green or grey with mostly blue loose fitting jeans. If I'm going out the tops sometimes turn into shirts. I do have a few items of clothing that could divide opinion style-wise but they only come on depending whether I'm feeling good about myself or not.

On other people (IE- ladies, most mens fashion is boring but acceptable), I always tend to veer towards those wearing nice dresses, floral patterns, anything eastern style or vaguely gothic is also quite attractive, and away from the ones wearing tops that hang off them to disguise disgusting beer-bellys, leggings, denim skirts, denim tops and bloody furry boots, or boots of any variety really.

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"No, you wear a band's T-shit because you want to let other people know that you like their music. It's an advert, isn't it - "Look, I like this.". I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, of course, I don't believe there is.

It's not just a "I like this thing" all the time though.  A lot of people wear Ramones T-shits (sic) because they look cool rather than because they like the music.  Those people are cunts.

Oh yeah clothing preferences, right.  Nice pair of trousers from G&H, shirt from Paul Smith/Richard James, jumper from John Smedley, shoes from Loake/Barker*.  My office dress code is pretty relaxed which is good.  When I'm at home I just sit around in my pants really.

*not just listing labels to sound like a flash cunt, just because they have a fairly distinctive style so you know.

non capisco

I've got more polo shirts with vertical stripes than any one person needs. It usually is just one of them with loose fitting blue jeans/brown cords and a pair of Stan Smiths.

Since filling out over the last couple of years my sister's wedding last summer was the first occasion I wore a suit and didn't feel like a gauche young apprentice on his first day at H Samuels, or David Byrne at the end of 'Stop Making Sense'.

Mr Mr

I normally wear black jeans, a black t-shirt and a black shirt, not for any gothy reasons, but largely because I'm fat and black is slimming. And I know this for a fact, a fair few times when I've become intimate with a woman they've felt mislead because of what I wear.

Since I broke my leg a month ago I'm just wearing horrible track suit bottoms, a black t-shirt and nothing else, and I don't care. I'm even growing a moustache too, but that might be because I'm going slowly mental being stuck in bed all day.

SOTS

I am nearly always wearing blue, grey or black jeans. This is usually matched with a fairly tight t-shirt that shows that I have quite decent sized boobs but not one that shows off the cleavage or anything.

I'm not particularly girly when it comes to clothes you see. I don't like showing myself off, and i'm just more comfortable in the clothes I wear currently. None of my friends dress particularly girly either, it's just the way I am.

I often profess how much easier it is for you blokes to buy clothes. Female clothes shops are nearly always stacked up with the latest awful trend and I find it quite hard to find anything I actually like in there.

Spiteface

At the moment, I seem to wear nothing but black.  Black Jeans, black converse, and a black T shirt, although the t shirts are usually wrestling or music ones - my current favourite being a TNA Jeff Hardy "enigma" shirt, which also glows in the dark, but what use that is I have no idea.

Mr Wrong

Quote from: "Spiteface"At the moment, I seem to wear nothing but black.  Black Jeans, black converse, and a black T shirt, although the t shirts are usually wrestling or music ones - my current favourite being a TNA Jeff Hardy "enigma" shirt, which also glows in the dark, but what use that is I have no idea.
:-(

hundred

I ONLY wear dark selvege jeans and garish coloured tops sometimes with nonsensical ebonic/rap phrases that only a few people will 'get', thus making me feel superior, and deadstocked trainers. This is all in preparation to me seamlessly melting into the LA/Tokyo hipster scene.

actwithoutwords

I have been wearing almost the same type of thing for the last 6 years. But that's what I'm comfortable in so ah well. Blue converse, trousers or cords, band/homemade/threadless t -shirt and velvet jacket, though have been experimenting with cardigans recently. It was 'cool' for a brief period in 2001/02, but I have thankfully long been relieved of that burden.

Oh forgot to mention colours, lots of navy, brown and dark green.

lankinpark

Dark browns and greens and black. Passably smart comfy trousers, long- or short-sleeved t-shirts, zipped tops or jumpers. Fairly dull and innofensive really, and mostly bought from supermarkets, H&M and Matalan. Comfort is the main aim, closely followed by not looking like a tosser.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

When it's cold, I mostly wear hoodies. I have some plain and dark ones and some colourful ones. When it's less cold I like to wear polo shirts or long sleeved shirts with the sleeves rolled up, as I look best when I'm showing a bit of chest! But then I also have a lot of Threadless t-shirts and the like.

I'm particularly pleased with my new t-shirt I got from America with this design:

Captain Crunch

Black black black black black, layers and layers of flat, black, matt, black clothing all day every day irrespective of season or mood.  In fact I look almost exactly like a huge pile of animated laundry shuffling around with a little red face frowning out somewhere near the top.

In an ideal world I'd spend every day like Bobby Gillespie circa 'Give Out But Don't Give Up' - leather trousers, boots, dodgy gypsy shirt, greasy hair.  It's not going to happen unless I get dysentery though.

mothman

Much as I like black, I've never seemed to be able to make black jeans work for me, even when a student. My wife has however tempted me from straight-leg jeans to loose-fit (but never bootcut or flared, I hate that look), just as straight-leg seems to be coming back in.

Now I'm a wage slave I at least can make sure that all my suits are black, and also wear smart-casual trousers which are cut like jeans (but cotton, not denim) for days when I don't want to wear a suit.

For a long time I favoured the T-shirt and buttoned-shirt on top look, whether tucked-in or not (sleeves rolled up or not), but then went through a big phase of long-sleeved T-shirts which has now evolved into wearing trendy light-weight knits/pullovers, with a T-shirt underneath when cold for that layered look.

Footwear tends to be leather trainerish shoes or Chelsea boots. Socks, black sports socks from M&S, and have been for 15 years. If you're into stretchy boxers/trunks, then get Thomas Nash ones from Debenhams, they're great.

(It's just a shame I look like a cross between Gary Busey and Tom Sizemore. Or a fatter Stephen Baldwin when I have the mirror-universe beard)

The Duck Man

Quote from: "Banana Woofwoof"Some given things are that I change my hair colour often, as much of out habit as boredom.
You are Kate Winslet in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and I claim my £5.

My clothes: Cheap, parent/grandparent bought, practical, comfy, unfancy, not-torn-by-screaming-hordes-of-women

23 Daves

To my shame, I purchased a Mod compilation CD at the weekend and realised from reading the "what mods wear" part of the booklet that I owned at least half the items of clothing mentioned at some point or another, most especially in the "casual wear" section.  It's not as if this was entirely deliberate, just that I prefer a lot of sixties retro clothes really - I'm of a trim build, of average height, and they just suit men like me a lot better.  They're designed for the less chunky male.

Generally at the moment, though, due to the cost implications of forever going around buying retro stuff in rip-off Soho stores which usually fades after ten washes  - I wear Camper shoes, second-hand designer shirts or very good High Street replicas, jeans, and glasses if I'm doing a lot of reading or VDU work and contact lenses otherwise.  I got a spare pair of glasses free with my last purchase, and made sure they were a really chunky pair to contrast with my smaller, daintier ones.  I'll normally wear the smaller pair, but sometimes the larger ones end up on my nose.

If I have to wear a suit I've got a cheap-ish one I obtained from an Italian store in Melbourne.  Mrs Daves is forever nagging me to replace it, even though we got married in it - you'd have thought she'd have expressed her worries long before.

I've also got a polyester sheepskin jacket which I bought thinking I was getting a winter bargain -it was only when I got home and gave myself an electic shock putting the key in the door that I realised I'd been had.  If anyone tries to touch me in a friendly, matey way at work now they get a small shock.  It's not deliberate.

Sheepskins are really unpopular with a lot of people, but I quite like strolling around looking like a disgruntled 1970s football manager.  Or a member of Earl Brutus.

samadriel

I'm about 5'10 with massive shoulders, and 20 kilos overweight, so I look like a Photoshop accident; my inclination towards blank, coloured t-shirts with black trousers and coats/jackets sits far better on a man more svelte than myself.  But then, what doesn't, eh?

I'm fond of the 'Reservoir Dogs' look -- black suit, black tie, white shirt -- preferably offset by green/neon-red/blue/blonde hair; currently, however, it is an unpleasant black, in case I get a job (hahAhaHAHAHahaHAhaHa!)

the midnight watch baboon

I wear whatever trousers fit me, which is 38"waist x 36"leg. I currently have 2 pairs of size-suitable jeans in differing shades of blue. Hardly any shops ever sell trousers that fit me, shop assistants eye me like I've asked if they sell wetsuits for monkeys if I enquire, and High & Mighty is just shit.

Above the troosers, inoffensive t-shirt/shirt. No boxer shorts protrude from my waistband, cos I'm old and cool.