Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:27:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What will date horribly?

Started by Beagle 2, February 22, 2007, 12:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beagle 2

A chance to sneer at the young and impressionable and their, huh, "fashion" as they call it, and make wildly inaccurate predictions about technology and culture. Basically a pre-emptive shit "I love" list show, but in shit thread form.

Shit hair Every generation has it. This one really has it. I'm talking about blokes really, the shockwaves, "Make it as shit as possible, and make sure it stays that way even in the strongest gales" look. Copy the shittest hair ever, eighties hair, because it was shit, just to prove that you know how shit it looked, and so you win, somehow.  Emo fringes. Urgh.

Youtube I think this is going to look amazingly quaint in a few years, that we all got so excited about a crappy little jerky grainy picture with barely legible graffiti by some morons underneath. I hope the idea that vast amounts of minority appeal copywrited material can be shared instantly doesn't in itself become a very "of it's time" concept.

That bit in a film where it stops and then pans all the way around the subject, who is usually doing a fly kick or something Well, alright this is pretty dated anyway, but I saw it in that terrible Robin Hood thing recently and thought "Aw god, still?".

Justin Lee Collins A safe target, and he's earnt it.

Must be much better ones, but lunch break is over.

Only having three christing computers in a firm of over 300 people you're allowed to go on the internet on for a bit at dinner...

Mister Six

mook

iPods, I was just looking at mine, admiitedly it's a couple of years old now, it's a 4g 40gb one, and I was thinking how big and cumbersome it looks. I guess that's where apple have you by the short and curlies with upgrading the fucking things.

Blumf

Blue LEDs, they're fucking everywhere and, in most cases, pointless.

ccab

Cargo Pants, which are blatantly ridiculous.

And any of the 60s or 70s echoes ubiquitous in fashion & music. I remember once how I (& everyone else) would cringe at those styles when we saw them in tv re-runs, flashbacks or our parents photos. I still find it hard to explain why these lurid, flowery, messy, utterly shit styles were ever revived. Whatever it was it had nothing to do with that wonderful thing Taste.

Has anyone said Mike Tyson yet?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The idea of the U.S being the lone superpower.

ccab

Quote from: "Shoulders?-Stomach!"The idea of the U.S being the lone superpower.

All white American culture, top to bottom - shitty new york comedies, hollywood, music, literature, ideas.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I would add that I'm not exactly relishing the U.S's competition, much as I dislike many elements of the country. so it wasn't meant as a "haha, u yanks are well cocky but in 2020 china will be fucing your in the ass!!' style comment.

ccab

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Won't you just love it the day the Americans are clamouring for the latest album by Wong Pee Fong or plastering their teenage walls with posters of A-List Chinese celebs?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Pretty much any new band that gets on the cover of the NME.

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: "ccab"Cargo Pants, which are blatantly ridiculous.

Blimey, I haven't heard Combat Trousers called that since maybe 2002. Are you some sort of non-descended bollocked drainpipe-clad diet-emo Russell Brand-fellating fanboy decorating his unmanly choice of stretch-polycotton leggings with an overcompensating and unneccessary studded belt? I'll admit that civilian carry-all-your-shit-around trousers featuring large pockets on the front of the thighs are usually superior to many military designs where small articles are wont to tumble unnoticed out of knee-side locations, but that's it.

As someone who has to tote a bare minimum of dog treats, poo bags, water, travelling bowl, ball, leash, tissues, torch, hat, wallet, notebook and pen, mobile phone, camera, penknife, keys, fags and lighter every time he steps outside his own front door, what can you recommend that's less ridiculous? A delightfully fetching manbag with (limp)wriststrap maybe, or some kind of Batman utility belt, perhaps?

Cack Hen

Not just YouTube, but anything Internet related. I think it'll be a long, long time before we're all walking around in a virtual world a la Futurama Internet, but it won't be too much longer until the Internet is insanely fast. They're already working on 200gb fibreoptic lines in Korea. At that pace, you could in theory download a 10gb torrent (something else which will fade out) in seconds.

Mr Wrong

Mister Cairo

The fashion of using a product name to describe an action

"I Googled it". No, you used a search engine

"I Xeroxed it" No, you used a photocopier.

Otherwise we'll end up with people saying

"I Tesco'd this morning then Tubed to Covent Garden and saw the opera before Stellaering in a pub."

quadraspazzed

Quote from: "ccab"Cargo Pants, which are blatantly ridiculous.

I've worm combats for over ten years, and don't intend stopping anytime in the forseable future. Because they are comfortable, you can carry a lot of shit, and they come in many different colours.

Undoubtedly big labels will stop making them when they go out of 'style', but fuck it. I wore them before All Saints and the like made them popular and all the cunts that used to slag me for being 'army boy' all started wearing them too. And I'll be wearing them when those same people resort to crap insults once again.

*cries*

quadraspazzed

Quote from: "Mister Cairo"The fashion of using a product name to describe an action

"I Tesco'd this morning then Tubed to Covent Garden and saw the opera before Stellaering in a pub."

Given that people still stay 'Hoovering', I doubt it.

Ciarán2

The Horrors, The Fratellis, The Kooks, the big hair NME brigade.

levitica

They censored my post...  I feel so violated.

quadraspazzed

[I hope to Christ] Celebrity/Reality TV shows.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!

23 Daves

Gastropubs.  Given that I don't really know anyone who likes them, or anyone who gets excited when a gastropub replaces their otherwise perfectly OK local, I have to wonder how much longer this idea will go on for.  Mind you, the fact I don't hang around with twats probably has a lot to do with their unpopularity in my social circle.

They are the wine bars of the noughties.

Women wearing thigh length boots over their jeans  What was a fashion faux pas once can only return to being a fashion faux pas.  I don't have any particular problem with the ladies doing this, and indeed never did, but it's one of those things I distinctly remember people scoffing about years ago, and it's got the whiff of transience about it.

It's the wearing-socks-with-your-sandals of the noughties.

Home cinema systems  You see, I think that far from finding them cutting edge, clever, desirable or exciting, home cinema systems with surround sound is just the kind of wanky home accessory most men get for the sake of it.  They'll move on.  

In the seventies they invited you around to their houses to show off their stereos and give you an impression of the "true stereo picture".  But home cinema systems are the hi-fis of the noughties.  

Etc.  etc.  Et-bloody-cetera.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

Quote from: "Mister Cairo"The fashion of using a product name to describe an action

While this is quite amusing, it belongs in this thread, largely because it is complete bollocks.

Charles Charlie Charles

Quote from: "hundred"(picture)

THIS.

I like that. Reminds me a bit of Gaudi. What/where is it?

Ciarán2

Yes, but hasn't the "home-cinema bore" been around for about 8 years now, 23 Daves? Maybe they won't go out of fashion so much as develop onto something else. It is a bit bloody pathetic I agree.

Fielding

Those stupid haircuts women have where the fringe makes them look like they're wearing a scooter-type crash helmet made out of hair. Lilly Allen has one apparently.

Also - being Orange. People will realise what a stupid thing to have an all year tan - what damage it does to the skin. Plus you get the added bonus of all the tanning "salons" going down with the 'fading' (ha ha - just like their tans) fad.

Fielding

Quote from: "Charles Charlie Charles"
Quote from: "hundred"(picture)

THIS.

I like that. Reminds me a bit of Gaudi. What/where is it?

It's Selfridges in Birmingham. I happen to think it looks pretty cool - dudes, although it doesn't quite look like that in real life. That's an 'artists impresssion' thingy.

23 Daves

Quote from: "Ciarán"Yes, but hasn't the "home-cinema bore" been around for about 8 years now, 23 Daves? Maybe they won't go out of fashion so much as develop onto something else. It is a bit bloody pathetic I agree.

I don't really mind it if someone's a film buff and really wants to see films in high quality - it's not my cup of tea personally, but replicating the cinema in the home must be like a wet dream to those people.

On the other hand, the above doesn't really seem to apply to any of the people I've met who own them.  It's the same with absurdly expensive stereos - they almost never have good CDs to go with them.