Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:18:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What will date horribly?

Started by Beagle 2, February 22, 2007, 12:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ciarán2

Yes, I mean someone who I know quite well is a bit of a home cinema bore. You're listening to a record with them and they're alerting you to the surround sound or watching Eastenders to listen out for the sound of footsteps panning from left speaker to right. I feel like screaming "You don't need this! A normal amp and speakers sounds better!"

hundred

Quote from: "Charles Charlie Charles"
Quote from: "hundred"(picture)

THIS.

I like that. Reminds me a bit of Gaudi. What/where is it?

It's Selfridges in Birmingham. It doesn't look too bad in that photo, i should have looked around for a more damning photo that shows its true hideousness.

And I'm a Le Corbusier man myself.

Actually, looking around google images, it doesn't look bad at all in photos, but every time I go near it in real life, I can't help thinking to myself 'how's that gonna work in 30 years time?'

weekender

I feel compelled to point out that the big mammoth Dalek building is in fact the New Bullring Shopping Centre, as opposed to a Selfridges shop as I inferred from your post.

The Selfridges shop is presumably the weird translucent bit on the bottom, but that could have been photoshopped.

To be fair though, it took me 28 years for me to understand the triangle navigation from Moor Street Station to Colmore Row to New Street, then they build a new fucking shopping centre over my entire fucking paths.  Oh how I laughed as I fell down another staircase which wasn't there before.  Into a fountain.

hundred

Quote from: "weekender"I feel compelled to point out that the big mammoth Dalek building is in fact the New Bullring Shopping Centre, as opposed to a Selfridges shop as I inferred from your post.

Nah, the bulbous mess is Selfridges alone, there's about 5 floors to it. The New Bullring Centre is all the indoor shops around it. It was designed specifically for Selfridges.

micanio

Quote from: "Blumf"Blue LEDs, they're fucking everywhere and, in most cases, pointless.

Not as long as they're used for stuff like   this.....

Pointless, yes. Sexy, mmmm, definitely...

Brad

Your latest snazzy expensive PCI Express graphics card.

Bigflood

That Alembic is nice, but I prefer this one.  The sexiest bass I've ever seen, if a little overblown (Dragon inlaid into the fretboard? Check).

Anyway, sorry for derailing, carry on.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

'Molecular gastronomy'. Foams, gels, all that weird stuff that they try to make food out of nowadays...

Blumf

Quote from: "micanio"
Quote from: "Blumf"Blue LEDs, they're fucking everywhere and, in most cases, pointless.

Not as long as they're used for stuff like   this.....

Pointless, yes. Sexy, mmmm, definitely...

Right there see! That'll date for sure! It'll only be a matter of months before the owner decides he'd rather have red LEDs on it to make it look more 'dark' and 'metal'.

My prediction is that white LEDs will supercede blue ones in the tech-fashion league.

Mister Cairo

Quote from: "Eight Taiwanese Teenagers"
Quote from: "Mister Cairo"The fashion of using a product name to describe an action

"I Googled it". No, you used a search engine

"I Xeroxed it" No, you used a photocopier.

Otherwise we'll end up with people saying

"I Tesco'd this morning then Tubed to Covent Garden and saw the opera before Stellaering in a pub."

While this is quite amusing, it belongs in this thread, largely because it is complete bollocks.
Do you mean that you don't think people do it? I've heard people use "Googling" for searching lots of times, for example. "Xeroxing" is often used in America for photocoyping, and I've heard it used sometimes in this country.

Suttonpubcrawl

Quote from: "Mister Cairo"Do you mean that you don't think people do it? I've heard people use "Googling" for searching lots of times, for example. "Xeroxing" is often used in America for photocoyping, and I've heard it used sometimes in this country.

I don't know what ETT meant, but I'd say it's bollocks because it probably won't date badly. People have been using the word "xeroxing" for decades now, and it hasn't started to seem dated yet. There are other examples of this which haven't dated after a long period of use, like "hoovered" for vacuum cleaned, but other than that one I can't really be bothered to come up with a list of them.

MonkeyDrummer

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

Quote from: "Suttonpubcrawl"
Quote from: "Mister Cairo"Do you mean that you don't think people do it? I've heard people use "Googling" for searching lots of times, for example. "Xeroxing" is often used in America for photocoyping, and I've heard it used sometimes in this country.

I don't know what ETT meant, but I'd say it's bollocks because it probably won't date badly. People have been using the word "xeroxing" for decades now, and it hasn't started to seem dated yet. There are other examples of this which haven't dated after a long period of use, like "hoovered" for vacuum cleaned, but other than that one I can't really be bothered to come up with a list of them.

That is what I meant and I also thought about the Tannoy!

mothman

Tannoy? People still use that? "PA System" surely?

Joe Maplin

Waiting minutes for your DVD disc to "format"

Brutus Beefcake

Quote from: "MonkeyDrummer"Tannoy!

Escalator, Jacuzzi.

Blumf

Wikipedia to the rescue!!
List of genericized trademarks

How many can you find that you weren't aware of?

Analrapist

In my experience some penniless person with no table manners, rubbish social skills and a one inch cock will be a pretty horrible date.

Mister Cairo

Quote from: "Eight Taiwanese Teenagers"
Quote from: "Suttonpubcrawl"

That is what I meant and I also thought about the Tannoy!

Ah, I get you. Sorry, I got a bit confused and thought you didn't think people used words like "Googling". I take your point it is probably more wisful thinking on my part-although I do use the word Hoovering I find people using the word Googling to be really annoying. It does seem to have become more widespread now in popular culture. In particular, I have never seen a US Tv show where the word photocopying is used-it is always Xeroxing.

gazzyk1ns

One of the things about using 'google/googling' is that at the moment, it can provide someone with specific information. For example, the other day, I was talking to my golf-loving mate about a golfing gadget I'd seen on TV. I'd had a quick look at it on the net too, but I couldn't quite remember the URL of the site which was most useful - so I said to him "Just google for [some term which I've forgotten now], it's the third one down.". So whilst Google remains the most popular search engine on the internet I'd say the want/need to use the term is bolstered.

Shaun

I don't think the verb google is really the same as hoovering though, because no one (that I know of, anyway) uses it to refer to searching using another search engine, although Google has such dominance I don't think I know anyone that frequently uses another search engine anyway. Hoovering on the other hand is used regardless of whether the vacuum cleaner is a Hoover model.