Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:17:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Amusing Names

Started by Milo, February 26, 2007, 09:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milo

I like slightly daft names so thought I'd create a thread where people could share the ones they encounter in their day-to-day lives. Real ones only, please.

Dr Sweetlove - I imagine he is some kind of sex machine/rapper.

and the appropriately named psychological researcher Dr Brain

We've also had Adam West visit the university. Not the Adam West, I suppose. I didn't go to check.

quadraspazzed

My brother had a lecturer called Anil Kokaram, and I swear to god though no-one will probably believe me that in my brother's class in primary school there was a kid called Wayne Kerr (I swear!). There was also I girl in my art class called Anne-Marie Orange, which was inevitably shortened to 'An Orange'.

non capisco

I went to school with a Chris Wanklyn.

I also used to regularly despatch things to someone called Gwilyiam Gwilyiam.

Toad in the Hole

I used to work telemarketing... we had a list at one point, which I will try to dig out.

A couple I remember offhand:  there was a Scott Scott, who my mate rang up to speak to, and was hear at the switchboard saying 'hang on, that can't be right... oh... it is... ok...'

Possibly my favourite, though, was Jane Tai-Currie.

Comestibles-related names are the way forward.

shite on a bike

There is one Nobo Fanny-Granite currently at my exchange university. I shit you not.

Some gems from school days were Colin Hoare, whose middle name we later discovered to be Seymore and a guy called Ricky Condon who quickly became Ricky Condom as soon as we were old enough to know what a condom was. Last I heard he'd changed his second name to Thompson. I'm one of the few who still remember the original.

Deadman97

I once met a Melody Bobo.

Labian Quest

'Nobo fanny-granite' surely the parents must have been Python fans. My mum told me one of the kids at a school she was a nurse at was called 'Krystal memory' which I though sounded like an electronic component, someone that used to process payrolls said she'd seen a lot of daft names in her time but the worst was probably 'Needa cockin' (not sure of the spelling of 'Needa'

Branching off into the web for a minute:

We take web hosting VERY seriously

the midnight watch baboon

Quote from: "non capisco"I went to school with a Chris Wanklyn.

I knew a Ben Wanklyn!

I went to school with a Sandy Bush, too. Meaning I knew a girl with that name, I didn't sleep on the beach on schoolnights and fail to shower before setting off.

Milo

Quote from: "Deadman97"I once met a Melody Bobo.

Genius.

My school had a Wanklyn too. They are more common than expected. Unless... we were all at the same school.

extradave

Dirk Viviers has just joined our company.

I presume he flew in the great war, although I have not met him yet to confirm this.

swarfmonkey

We had a local loon called Johnny Mycock.

Milo

In the same vein as Dirk Viviers, I was in university halls with someone called Felix Fox. Always sounded like a bit of an action hero name to me. Plus his email address was something like fantastic_mr_fox@something.com, which amused me.

Probably not that amusing but I knew a guy at uni called Robin Hood, his father was also named Robin Hood, his grandfather, great grandfather and so on...he got booted out at the end of the first year and left me two Camel filter-less cigs wrapped in a goodbye note.

It turns out he actually went to study forestry somewhere else, which seemed funny at the time. Guess which uni...

Marvin

I do genuinely know of a man called Ivor Hardy. He's a vet I think.

There's a Euro news presenter called Torsten Poppel, with loads of accents.

There's also a man in Belfast called Mr. Zebeedee.  I know this because I rang him every week for about two years and sang the Magic Roundabout theme tune down the phone.

My boyfriend works with one Rosy Crack.

gazzyk1ns

chocky909

I've got a Stirling Moss and  a Chris(topher) Guest at my work.

I also had a teacher when I was young called Mrs Coffee. It was the 80's, I was 8 and I thought it would be hilarious if I told everyone that she was married to Mr T(ea) (pity the fool etc). For some reason I didn't get the reaction I was hoping for, even though I still think it's funny today.

Ronster

Not necessarily the most amusing but the coolest name I've come across is someone in our work phone list called Don Vigilante.

I really don't want to meet him as I know he will be a disappointment to the image I have in my head of what he should look like.

A friend of mine used to work with a guy called Johnny Jesus.  That always amused me.

hansen mork

A friend of mine went to school with a Ben Larden.

extradave

Quote from: "The Boston Crab"Probably not that amusing but I knew a guy at uni called Robin Hood, his father was also named Robin Hood, his grandfather, great grandfather and so on...he got booted out at the end of the first year and left me two Camel filter-less cigs wrapped in a goodbye note.

It turns out he actually went to study forestry somewhere else, which seemed funny at the time. Guess which uni...

Nottingham!

Am I right?

surreal

Quote from: "trotsky assortment"A friend of mine used to work with a guy called Johnny Jesus.  That always amused me.

pronounced Jeezus or Heysoos?

I worked with a Dave Mycock - saw him go ballistic when someone called him "suck" as a joke... obviously got sick of it over the years.

Best one I heard (and I've posted it on here before now) was one of our sales guys calling a customer "Hello, can I speak to Mr Pance please" - cue me spitting my drink everywhere....

hansen mork

Mrs Mork spoke to a Mr Onions the other day. He insisted it was pronounced Oh-nye-ons.

mothman

Quote from: "The Unicorn"(picture)

Shouldn't that be

?

samadriel

...Why?

There was a girl in school named Queenie Vapours.  And I was acquainted with a corpulent and instensely unhygienic landwhale named Rohan Musch.

My local doctor's name is Nitirut Srinkapaibulaya.  That's a name worth memorising.

the midnight watch baboon

On my last job's global telephone list were a Misty Bell and DeeDee Dunbar, two names that always seemed cool.

Milo

Quote from: "hansen mork"Mrs Mork spoke to a Mr Onions the other day. He insisted it was pronounced Oh-nye-ons.

I used to encounter a surprising number of Mr Onions when I worked for a utilities company. They'd give me huge lists of names to correlate with letters that were being sent out and the first thing I always did was trawl them for funny names. Wish I could remember more of them.

mothman

I once knew someone with the surname Rowswell. We all called him Roswell, because he looked so repulsive and alien and could have landed in New Mexico in 1947.