Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,405
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 916
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:52:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Amusing Names

Started by Milo, February 26, 2007, 09:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: "samadriel"...Why?

Because there's four of them...

Shoulders?-Stomach!

There's a BBC reporter called Terry Stiastny. Her surname puts me in mind of an eye infection or something. 'What's up with your eye? Oh, I have a stiastny...'

And it sounds made up by a satirist.

Here she is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv64_AMx-UI

That said, I'd love it if she did a report from my bedroom.

EddyWhore

My Great Uncle's name is John Thomas Thrush, or so my dad tells me.

Musicoutoftrousers

I know that this isn't really on in this topic, but this page is pretty amusing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unusual_personal_names

Just so I'm adding something of my own, there's someone who works in the University Library called Claire Muddyman. Great surname to say.

I recieved a letter at my last job asking me to change the records of someone's middle name from Gary to "Sunderland AFC" - he'd even sent the official deed poll document.

mothman

I just overheard someone in the office initiating a phone call to a Mr. Brownsword. Resisted the urge to call out "He's not in - would his colleague Mr. Shitstabber be able to help?"

buttgammon

I once heard about an Australian man who changed his name to "Prime Minister John Piss The Family Court And Legal Aid". He must have had trouble fitting that on his passport!

Godzilla Bankrolls

Quote from: "Banana Woofwoof"There's also a man in Belfast called Mr. Zebeedee.  I know this because I rang him every week for about two years and sang the Magic Roundabout theme tune down the phone.

My landlord is Mr Szabady, pronounced Zebadee.

Years ago, I used to knock about with a boy called Adam. One day, me and my best mate got into a taxi with him, and the drive asked "Number 24? That's... Haddock, isn't it?" Never fails to make me smile. Also, I find it hard to take the name 'Clint' seriously.

Fry

I was walking through a graveyard and I found a grave marked for 'Fanny Jennings'.

I have no idea why this still cracks me up, It's not funny in the slightest.

Koant

I've always found "Jenny Taylor" tantalizingly close to "genitalia", but it might just be my foreign ears.

El Unicornio, mang

There's a baseball player called Scott Munter. It's not used here but I seem to recall that being a rather derogatory term for an unattractive lady back home.

jonno

Quote from: "Fry"I was walking through a graveyard and I found a grave marked for 'Fanny Jennings'.

I saw a book in the library that seemed to have been written by one 'Fanny Water'. Unfortunately there was a 'man' on the end, obscured by another book.

boki

Armando Ianucci thinks my name sounds funny.  He can talk.

Best name I ever encountered at work was Wai Fuk Ho. Presumably because you'd paid upfront.

samadriel

Quote from: "jonno"
Quote from: "Fry"I was walking through a graveyard and I found a grave marked for 'Fanny Jennings'.

I saw a book in the library that seemed to have been written by one 'Fanny Water'. Unfortunately there was a 'man' on the end, obscured by another book.
Disappointing, but not a complete loss.  For example: "I'm a Fanny Waterman, me."

...Oh dear.

Lady Beaner

Ahhhh it tickled me when I found out that one of our contractors was called Gay...tee hee indeed. But, I just got some email correspondence from her and her name is actually, Gay Loverock. Hoot!

Pseudopath

There were three Chinese brothers at my school named Wai Lo, How Lo and Hung Lo. Hence the 'hilarious' joke:

Boy 1: I'm Hung Lo.
Boy 2: How Lo?
Boy 1: Wai Lo!!!

Nice to know that 'ironic' racism existed even then.

Quote from: Lady Beaner on June 01, 2007, 03:56:06 PM
Ahhhh it tickled me when I found out that one of our contractors was called Gay...tee hee indeed. But, I just got some email correspondence from her and her name is actually, Gay Loverock. Hoot!

There was a TV person, a producer possibly, called Gay Search.  That always tickled me.

A couple of my mates met a guy called Levi Spronk when they went camping

Pseudopath

Quote from: aaaaaaaaaargh! on June 01, 2007, 04:15:37 PM
There was a TV person, a producer possibly, called Gay Search.  That always tickled me.

Aw shit...why did I just put that into Google? Anyway, I seem to remember her being a gardening advisor on programmes like Delia Smith and think she actually presented Gardeners' World for a bit.

I work alongside the delightful Kerry Fairie

buntyman

I used to work with a lady called Rhoda Gentleman and there was a guy in my Chemistry tutorials at uni called Juan Long Dong.

actwithoutwords

CaledonianGonzo

The corporate directory of the firm I used to work for had various amusing names.

There was a Hobbit, a Frodo, a Chewbacca and a Yoda.  And an Alberto Arsola in the Spanish division.

But my favourite was a guy in the Phillipines office called Fritzie Gay Bong.

I also took great amusement from the fact that the monthly legal update was sent out by someone called Soo Mi.

actwithoutwords

Ah, just remembered. A friend of mine works in the NHS and the correspondence he has had with his local sexual health division has been with a Peter Burns, whose email account, inevitably, shortens it to P. Burns.

chocky909

I got a (stool) sample (at work) from a Mr Ronald Packman aged 68. I thought, he had a perfectly ordinary surname until 1979 and suddenly he's bombarded with smart arse comments and nuisance phonecalls.

I bet he pronounces it Packm'n.

Shane G

My optitions has the rather lovely-sounding name Muldoon and Tongue.

duckorange

I have dined out for many years on the fact that when I worked at the dole office, one of my claimants was a Mr Erwin Wanker.

When asked whether he might think of changing his name to increase his chances of finding a job, he told me that "I am a Wanker and proud of it."

End of interview, pretty sharpish.

spraticus

a guy at my art college changed his name by deed poll to Hercules Fisherman - he got expelled for swallowing a live goldfish during a "performance" - he was also stopped in his car by the police for a minor misdemeanor but when he gave his name they arrested him for giving a false one

i was at school with a Gavin Gavin & my local GP is a Doctor Dock

niat

I used to work with a charming chap called Richard Mould. Of course, he shortened his Christian name to Dick.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Koant on March 06, 2007, 08:34:21 PM
I've always found "Jenny Taylor" tantalizingly close to "genitalia", but it might just be my foreign ears.

Two house moves ago, my then-next-door-neighbour's daughter went to school with a Jenna Taylor.  Her life was indeed made a misery.  :-S

Jenna Taylor's, that is, not my then-next-door-neighbour's daughter.