Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:24:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

(Thwokkk!!!) "Don't bite your nails!"

Started by The Boston Crab, February 27, 2007, 05:19:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Ever since I was a kid, I've 'enjoyed' chewing my nails into a state of ruination. Why? I don't know, perhaps it is simple nerves, I can be a fairly agitated, excitable fella even if on the surface I'm fairly cool. It's habit of course, my old man bit his nails and then stopped shortly after I started doing it too, thanks Dad! What a strange lesson to teach your highly susceptible kid.

There's definitely a certain sense of pleasure at times, I remember reading about how a cigarette is the finest pleasure because it's never completely satisfying, it's so fleeting that you can never be bored of it and you can go again shortly after. I think that biting your nails is the equal, for a start, you never can stop really, there's always another little edge, or jutting straight edge or ridge or thorn of hard skin to be nibbled down delicately until you're in physical pain and your teeth are too blunt to get any more access.

That said, it's fucking revolting, looks dreadful both during and after the event, creates a shocking impression to others and generally reminds you that you're bad at taking care of your own one-and-only body. It serves no purpose and in fact seems to stimulate anxiety more than anything else, in the same way that if I ever smoke these days, the anxious guilt I've built up easily matches the calming effect, meaning I get stuck in a vicious circle of chain-smoking all evening, two dragons chasing each other's tails, only to wake up the next day with a throat like a bastard and honking banana fingers, but this isn't about smoking...

I stopped biting them, twice. Once when I was about 12, I had some Stop'n'Grow, which I would put on my nails, it was akin to biter aloes, which I scoffed at mercilessly, licking off the supposedly unbearable coating before tucking in to a nice healthy plate of nails. This Stop'n'Grow stuff was hardcore though, it was basically paint thinner in a glue form, my mum said to me, please son, don't even try to lick it off. It also seemed to somehow stimulate growth (perhaps psychosomatic...) and I got nails for the first time with relative ease until the day my brother, angry at me for some reason, poured the whole lot down the bloody bin. I went West because I knew somehow that my chance was gone, I'd not quite overcome the habit, I was still reliant on this crutch and for reasons unknown, perhaps poverty, I also felt sure that we wouldn't buy this stuff again. My hopes were dashed, it still smarts.

The second time was shortly after I met my current girlfriend, a wonderful person for whom I pulled out all the stops, so to speak. When I'm around her, I don't even start chomping fingers out of habit, I just don't do it, which is weird, it doesn't really require any effort. I grew my nails back with a few gentle reminders and for the first time in my entire life I cut my nails with nail clippers, this brought me quite some level of satisfaction which you either will or won't understand. Then one night, I went out and got pissed and when I woke up my fingers were really sore, I'd chewed them to buggery. Why? Why?!! Habit took over in my weakest moment and I've not been able to claw my way back since then, that's about a month ago and I've spent the last few weeks idesperately searching for a way to break the routine because try as I might, you can't keep watch on yourself all the time. If I'm watching a movie or something, it's just my natural inclination to bite bite bite and I don't even notice it until the damage is done. This may seem laughable to many of you but if you understand what I mean, you appreciate the problem, it's not as simple as 'just stop'. I did do that recently so I know I can actively stop but it's the unconscious biting I want to put an end to. I'm looking for shared experiences, people who've stopped and how, top tips, humorous anecdotes, best (and worst) bites etc.

Share and share alike.

Mr Wrong

Have you tried dipping your fingers in shit?

Labian Quest

Is this thread purely about nail biting or just bad habits/addictions in general?

Nail biting, I should have been more focussed.

I'm searching for a cure, I would dip my fingers in shit as Mr Wrong suggested but it would go down terribly at my ASDA Greeter job.

Jemble Fred

mothman

I tried chewing a nail once, I really don't see the attraction.

I bite mine ferociously. I have Nail Bitten hands down to the quick and an ingrown fingernail that has swollen my fingertip to twice its size.

My hands are in a right state.

Little Hoover

This certainly is a nail-biting thread.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

JesusAndYourBush

When I used to bite mine it was because I was continually picking at any rough edges.  Get a nail file and when you notice a rough edge, use the nail file.  It may seem a bit girly but it does work.

Lt Plonker

I pick my nails - not bite, but pick away my nails. I've done it since I was a little sprog and have never stopped. I honestly don't think I've ever had full grown nails. They're awful, truly awful. I can guarantee you that if you think yours are bad, mine are worse. At the moment at least three of my nails are half gone and the rest are below what would be considered 'normal' length. I've got little nail shards poking out and the odd bit of flappy skin.

The thing with picking my nails, is that putting glue or varnish on them, simply won't work, because I can pick that away.

It's a general habit, but when I'm anxious or stressed, they just disappear.

Marvin

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"SMOKE!

Yes! This works a treat, the only time I've ever not bitten my nails was when smoking regularly, and they say it's bad for you.

I bite my nails and pick at my toenails sometimes, saves money in nail scissors.

I also smoke fairly often. These last 24 hours I've not though and I've also been trying to  actively prevent myself from biting my nails yet I look down now to see evidence of a minor gnawing on my left index finger. When?! When did I do it?!!?!!

I'm just going to wear gloves all the time.

TotalMink

I have bitten my nails (but not usually  to the quick) all of my life.  I trained myself a few times to stop, and grew nails which i thought could be nice and manicured like my old cello teachers but i only ended up looking like catweasel.  You have to have certain shaped fingers to carry off nice looking nails. Mine are infinitely better bitten.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

mothman

I'm rather fond of BWW*, so I mean no malice when I say that the information that she chews her nails perhaps isn't the most stunning revelation of all time.

*No, not that way!

Sorry ETT, it's absolutely vile I agree, that's why I want out.

I must admit though, I've got a horrible sinking feeling in my mouth (!) like when you ditch the fags, it's fucking strange, yet if I put my fingers in my mouth it subsides...so I guess it is a true addiction of sorts, or perhaps I'm addicted to all the germs and filth and bacteria that collect on and around fingertips!

REVOLTING

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteI had some Stop'n'Grow

Noooooo, there goes the repulsive chemical sting of my childhood!! Even the smell of that stuff now sets me on edge. I can psychosomatically taste it on my tongue and at the back of my throat.

Actually that stuff tasted nice after a day or so.

It hasn't stopped me biting my nails now. I listen to football on the radio, so give me a break.

TotalMink

I think there is an Alan Carr book on this - Stop Biting Your Nails , the EasyWay.  You have to learn to recognise the brainwashing, then the actual physical addiction to nails ceases to be an issue.

As if I'd listen to what some flouncing ponce funnyman would...no, it's just not going to be funny.