Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:43:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What have you given up for Lent?

Started by Mister Cairo, February 27, 2007, 05:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Cairo

I have a terrible habit of snacking whle I use the PC or read a book, in fact I'm eating a big bag of popcorn right now. I go walking a lot so do burn it off, but as it's usually crisps or biscusits I have a poor diet as a result.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

Lent has already started, you twonk.

Mister Cairo

Okay, I've changed the thread title as I was a few days out. (Lent began on the 21st).

Nothing, you twonk! If I was going to give something up, I wouldn't wait til an abitrary date! You twonk!

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Christianity...oh ho ho I am so funny.

Cack Hen

Ha, this idiot can't get simple tenses right.

ffogems

I was walking past a church recently and I saw a sign on their 'events' noticeboard advertising a 'Lent Lunch'. Which seemed a bit silly.

Mister Cairo

Quote from: "Cack Hen"Ha, this idiot can't get simple tenses right.

Do fuck off.

I failed to check what day Lent started, so insted of posting "What have you given up for Lent?" I posted "What are you giving up for Lent?". I'm perfectly able to understand what tense to use. Perhaps it was a little stupid not to check the date Lent starts beforehand.

In fact you're the idiot because you seem to think I edited my post because I can't tell what word to use, where as from ETT's response it's perfectly obvious why I edited my post-because Lent has started and I forgot that it has. I presume that you only clicked on the thread to post your "Ha, look at the thickie who can't use his tenses properly" when in fact I edited my post for a completly different reason.

My as well lock this, it's not really going anywhere.

I apologise to anyone who became distressed by my failure to check when Lent started.

Suttonpubcrawl

I've given up meat and become a vegetarian for lent. So far it's going pretty well. I just thought I'd give it a try to see how I could manage it and to prompt me to try new things. It forces you to think a little bit more about food and the things you're eating, which can only be a good thing.

Cack Hen

Quote from: "Mister Cairo"
Do fuck off.

I failed to check what day Lent started, so insted of posting "What have you given up for Lent?" I posted "What are you giving up for Lent?". I'm perfectly able to understand what tense to use. Perhaps it was a little stupid not to check the date Lent starts beforehand.

In fact you're the idiot because you seem to think I edited my post because I can't tell what word to use, where as from ETT's response it's perfectly obvious why I edited my post-because Lent has started and I forgot that it has. I presume that you only clicked on the thread to post your "Ha, look at the thickie who can't use his tenses properly" when in fact I edited my post for a completly different reason.

I apologise to anyone who became distressed by my failure to check when Lent started.

I was joking about, I wasn't really calling you a thick twat. Sorry, anyway.

Mr Wrong

Quote from: "Mister Cairo"

Well its given me a bloody good laugh so far.

biniput

Brad

Why give up anything? What does it prove or achieve?

Quote from: "Cack Hen"
I was joking about, I wasn't really calling you a thick twat. Sorry, anyway.

Same here, innit.

ccab

I've given up lending people money.

rudi

easytarget

Quote from: "Brad"Why give up anything? What does it prove or achieve?
Proves you're better than Jesus.
Forty days in the desert without food or water (or whatever it was)? Pah that's nothing, I haven't had a chocolate biscuit since last week (except for Kit Kats, which don't count).

TotalMink

The wife is a left footer and she is still deciding what to give up, sweets or chocolate, but she is 6 months pregnant  so I suggest neither.

levitica

Quote from: "Suttonpubcrawl"I've given up meat and become a vegetarian for lent. So far it's going pretty well. I just thought I'd give it a try to see how I could manage it and to prompt me to try new things. It forces you to think a little bit more about food and the things you're eating, which can only be a good thing.

I'm doing exactly the same, only not for lent.  I started last Sunday, and hadn't really registered that it was lent.  I'm also not going right up to Easter though, only to the Easter college holiday.  It's fine at home but I had a lot of problems with lunch at college today.

gazzyk1ns

Quote from: "easytarget"Pah that's nothing, I haven't had a chocolate biscuit since last week (except for Kit Kats, which don't count).

I watched a documentary about Kit-Kats about a month ago, and officially, the four-finger variety is classed as a chocolate bar, whereas the two-finger variety is a biscuit. Seriously, Wikipedia only half backs me up with a reference to where UK supermarkets usually store the respective kinds of Kit-Kat, but I'd hope this documentary was correct, what with it being solely about Kit-Kats. It was part of that "Great British brands" series.

dr beat

What am I giving up for Lent?

The usual.

All hope.

Suttonpubcrawl

We had sausages for dinner tonight. Fucking hell I wanted the meat ones so much. They just smelled so good, I was really craving them. I had to make do with some quorn ones and some leek and cheese ones. They just weren't the same. That's the first time I think I've really suffered so far and thought "God, I wish I wasn't vegetarian right now".

easytarget

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"
I watched a documentary about Kit-Kats about a month ago, and officially, the four-finger variety is classed as a chocolate bar, whereas the two-finger variety is a biscuit. Seriously

No no, I quite believe you.
On the same subject (and not wanting to open a can of hackneyed confectionary-based worms) Jaffa Cakes: cake or biscuit?
Did the documentary answer that?

lardboy

Quote from: "easytarget"On the same subject (and not wanting to open a can of hackneyed confectionary-based worms) Jaffa Cakes: cake or biscuit?
Both at the same time.  Legally a cake, scientifically a biscuit.  Bit like wave/particle duality, but I've never seen a Jaffa Cake in two places at the same time.

Neville Chamberlain

What am I giving up for lent? Nothing. I don't do that shit.

Suttonpubcrawl

Quote from: "lardboy"
Quote from: "easytarget"On the same subject (and not wanting to open a can of hackneyed confectionary-based worms) Jaffa Cakes: cake or biscuit?
Both at the same time.  Legally a cake, scientifically a biscuit.  Bit like wave/particle duality, but I've never seen a Jaffa Cake in two places at the same time.

My word, the court case where McVities proved that they're cakes sounds rather fun:
QuoteMcVitie's defended the classification of Jaffa Cakes as a cake by producing a giant Jaffa Cake to illustrate that their Jaffa Cakes were simply mini cakes.

I want a giant Jaffa Cake!

ccab

Quote from: "ccab"I've given up lending people money.

I'm not sure how much more of this I can bear - would someone like to borrow a tenner? 30p for a phone call? anything?

Quote from: "ccab"
Quote from: "ccab"I've given up lending people money.

I'm not sure how much more of this I can bear - would someone like to borrow a tenner? 30p for a phone call? anything?

Can I borrow your girlfriend?

Quote from: "Suttonpubcrawl"My word, the court case where McVities proved that they're cakes sounds rather fun:
QuoteMcVitie's defended the classification of Jaffa Cakes as a cake by producing a giant Jaffa Cake to illustrate that their Jaffa Cakes were simply mini cakes.

I want a giant Jaffa Cake!

Behold, Giles Coren's Jaffa Quake!