Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:34:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Monk

Started by wherearethespoons, February 27, 2007, 08:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wherearethespoons

Searched a couple of times but not found a thread.

Are there any Monk fans here? I recently got the boxset that contains series (or 'season') 1-4 and am enjoying it. I first watched it by accident when I was visiting my grandad. I love the Monk character and Tony Shalhoub plays him with some brilliance. Currently on series three.

Anyone else like to comment? Has anyone seen Shalhoub in anything else? I'm just curious as to what he's like as an actor in other things. Also, what about the theme tune? That first one is nothing short of great, the new one is just a typically bland and annoying Randy Newman type thing.

Waldo Jeffers

Oh, Monk's ace. First things that spring to mind are the keys/coffin/floss/waving corpse gag and Jason Alexander's appearance as a rival detective, which was the funniest I'd seen him in anything for ages.

Neil

I saw Shalhoub as an immigrant in an episode of Frasier a while back.  He's very good in Monk, aye...seemed alright in this too.  I gave up on Monk though after they got rid of yer woman, it seemed to get a bit silly after that.  Actually, it was very disappointing when they got rid of her as she was such a great character, and very well acted.  At the time I did some Googling, and it seemed to be down to her wanting more money when the show ended up being way more popular than expected.

Hemorrhoid Shark

I absolutely adore Monk, although I haven't seen much of it since the end of Series 3 (is it still showing on the BBC?) Great acting, and a fantastic combination of comedy, drama and mystery. There's usually at least a couple of scenes each episode which make me laugh out loud, which is more than most comedy shows do these days.

Marv Orange

I enjoy monk but I find the crime element is a bit weak and tends to play second fiddle to the comedy which is a shame.

Marty McFly

Monk is brilliant. Always has the best guest stars too.  

I was going to buy the R2 DVDs until I realised they were all cropped to 4:3, while the much more expensive R1s are in widescreen. Bah.

a little-known Monk fact: the pilot was written with Michael Richards in mind for the role.

A Passing Turk Slipper

I'm a big Monk fan. Have been really enjoying season 5 actually, the newer two series seem to be a lot more about the comedy than the others, not that I think that's a bad thing. He's such a great character, the writing is just superb, the first couple of seasons were more of an introduction to him I think, now it's really in it's stride. I was a bit worried when they replaced Sharona but Natalie is okay, a couple of my friends actually prefer her as the sidekick, I wouldn't not watch the newer episodes on the basis of that anyway, there's some superb storylines and the dialogue, acting and, well, everything is as good as it was at the start. A favourite line from a recent episode, Monk got a job request from a strange man with leprosy, and didn't take it because 'A, what he's asking me to do could be illegal, and B through Z, he's a leper'. I urge folks to check out the 'Jury Duty' season 4 finale to get back into it or just as an introduction to the character. It's a good starting point.

Famous Mortimer

I bought the series 1-4 boxset (rude not to, 16 discs for £35.99 off Play) and have been thoroughly enjoying it. Tony Shalhoub is brilliant in the role and I'm loving the expanding role Sharona is taking in his investigations (I'm about halfway through series 2 at the moment). It's a shame she leaves, but the rest of the characters in the show are really strong and I hope the replacement is decent. I just watched the one where John Turturro plays his brother, and even though it's got some great funny moments it's incredibly sad at times.

I got into it thanks to the connection between it and WFMU (creator Andy Breckman has a show on there, and producer / writer Tom Scharpling does too).

It's a bit reminiscent of Columbo played for laughs, but with the occasional great serious moment. Brilliant show, and I highly recommend it to anyone.

I was very dissapointed when Sharonna left, the foursome seemed very strong. But I must admit to preffering Natalie now - she's not a nurse, she's just an assistant and is a lot more intollerant of Monk as a result. I've only seen a couple of episodes of season 5 because I'd prefer to get the dvd when it comes out but I agree they are concentrating more on comedy now than crime, I hope it doesn't get too silly - I want his wifes murder to re-enter the story again really, it's been out of the episodes since the New York one.

samadriel

Shalhoub's great as the shit-talking lawyer in the Coen Bros film "The Man Who Wasn't There" (their last 'proper' movie, sigh).  Check that'n out.

Neil

Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"I was very dissapointed when Sharonna left, the foursome seemed very strong. But I must admit to preffering Natalie now - she's not a nurse, she's just an assistant and is a lot more intollerant of Monk as a result. I've only seen a couple of episodes of season 5 because I'd prefer to get the dvd when it comes out but I agree they are concentrating more on comedy now than crime, I hope it doesn't get too silly - I want his wifes murder to re-enter the story again really, it's been out of the episodes since the New York one.

I was gonna mention you last night, it was you that got me into it!  Nice to see you about fatso.  As for silliness:

Spoiler alert
I'll tell you what really pissed me off, apart from Sharon departing...it was that story afterwards where Monk was cured, and then his wife 'came back' and he got all ill again.  That was just shit.  I must try and catch up though, the reports make it sound like it could be worth watching again.
[close]

re: the spoiler - I didn't like that one either, too emotion heavy - that and the one where he 'adopts' a kid are quite irritating, but the poor ones are few and far between and yes it is worth persisting with, you'll get used to Natalie - she's a good character.

For any 'ardcore fans - monk novels are available in the States, you do have to be a diehard because they aren't exactly booker prize material but they're good light fun, check them out on amazon - I've read the first three, the fourth is due out in July I think and marks the return of Sharona. Should be good, Monk presumably being all resentful over her leaving him, Nat getting all jealous over her.

mothman

Much as I like Tony Shalhoub as an actor (check him out in the MiB films, he has a small role, and also in the Bruce'n'Denzel'n'Annette terrorist film The Siege) and the Monk character, the rather old-fashioned style of the show puts me off - it could have been made 20 years ago and wouldn't look any different.

thewomb

I've never seen Monk, but as someone who has OCD and multiple phobias as well as only recently having recovered from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, as well as a love of detective shows and comedies, I have a feeling I'm about to enter the world of what might be my favourite show ever. I really hope it's as good as everyone is saying.

Neil

Good that you're better.  And yeah, I think you'll love it, the OCD is generally handled very well, way moreso than you'd expect, really.  It does actually add to the character, and to the overall show.

Quote from: "thewomb"I've never seen Monk, but as someone who has OCD and multiple phobias as well as only recently having recovered from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, as well as a love of detective shows and comedies, I have a feeling I'm about to enter the world of what might be my favourite show ever. I really hope it's as good as everyone is saying.

It must be hard to do a show based around mental illness, make it light and funny and not cause offence - one of the strengths of this one is that I think it manages just that, to my knowledge it remains free of controversy.

Also, anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think OCD is ever mentioned by name on the show - presumably a concious decision on the part of the shows writers - infact I don't think Monk is ever diagnosed as having anything in particular.

Goldentony

Monk's fucking fantastic aye, i haven't seen it as much since they moved it to Saturdays but back in April and May of last year when it was on in the afternoons i really really enjoyed it. I'm gonna have to pick it up on DVD at some point.

In fact the few times i have seen it on a Saturday it's been positioned perfectly so i could watch Cosby Mysteries then Monk. Last one isaw ahd Costanza in it.

wherearethespoons

Quote from: "samadriel"Shalhoub's great as the shit-talking lawyer in the Coen Bros film "The Man Who Wasn't There" (their last 'proper' movie, sigh).  Check that'n out.

Ah, so I have seen him in something before, I had a strange feeling I had.

I think I've just watched the episode between Sharona leaving and Natalie appearing - the quiz show episode where he only speaks to Sharona on the phone. So when I next get back to watching it, Sharona will be gone for ever. I've actually found that I've been looking forward to the change - just to see how it goes. I'm quite fond of Traylor Howard because I like Two Guys and a Girl.

EDIT - And I'd agreed that the crime element is never that strong and I've figured a fair amount of them out early on. However, there's an episode where a bloke dies by a weight strangling him and I really enjoyed that one. Thought it was pretty good way to kill someone.

Marv Orange

He was in Men in Black he has done a lot of bit parts.

squinky

Shalhoub has a fantastic but small part in Barton Fink, which I'd highly recommend. Love him in Monk, too.

Amusing Monk fact: the US release of the first season DVD boxset came with a free sachet of antibacterial hand gel...

Marty McFly

Quote from: "mothman"Much as I like Tony Shalhoub as an actor and the Monk character, the rather old-fashioned style of the show puts me off - it could have been made 20 years ago and wouldn't look any different.

I don't get it.. how can something supposedly timeless like this be a bad thing? Surely that prolongs the life of the show? Eh, if you miss Monk, it really is your loss, it's a great show. In fact I'd even go so far as to say a superb one.

Quite why the BBC have pigeonholed it into the traditional Diagnosis Murder / Murder She Wrote slot I don't know.

And while we're on the subject of missing out (even more tenuously so because Enrico Colantoni has also appeared in an episode of Monk) when is Veronica Mars, another amazing yet underrated US detective show, going to be shown on terrestrial?

Quote from: "Marty McFly"
Quite why the BBC have pigeonholed it into the traditional Diagnosis Murder / Murder She Wrote slot I don't know.

Because that's where it belongs! It's something I admire about it, that a show can be made with that whole 80's family viewing whodunnit vibe about it and succeed in the days of lost and heroes. Hoorah for Monk!

wherearethespoons

Yeah, I think it's a fairly decent slot. Children should be watching it, I reckon. If Blue Peter is still going, replace it with Monk.

Anyway, was just thinking about some of my favourite moments and I thought about the ridiculously long bit where he keeps trying to talk and the road worker starts up every time he begins. It seemed to go on for ever and his persistence was spot on.

thewomb

Just saw the pilot episode and loved it. Great stuff. The character is very relatable too, as I share a lot of the same obsessions/compulsions, only without the side-effect of super crimefighting ability (though I'm working on it).

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

That's one of the great things about it.  I recognise my own tendencies in the character - albeit accentuated for comic effect with Monk - without it ever being condescending or patronising.

There's the odd daft episode, but on the whole it's fantastic entertainment, with a heavy leaning towards the comedy.

Godzilla Bankrolls

I see a lot of myself in Columbo. I can relate with the glass eye.

threestripes

Monk is fantastic viewing. I caught it by accident one day - usually avoiding daytime tv - and couldn't wait to watch another one. The mix of comedy and drama seem just about right for it.

MuteBanana

I love Monk and I love the Randy Newman is it? Theme tune.  I was disappointed when Sharona left, but I thought it was incredibly sweet the way Nancy and her daughter fell for Monk.

I think the first episode I ever saw was the Willy Nelson one. Right at the end, Monk gets the chance to play clarinet live on the radio with Willy. But just before someone hands him the clarinet, they test it.  As the band starts up Monk just cannot put his mouth to the instrument, although he desperately wants to. Maybe I was drunk, but I just thought it was the funniest thing in a Peep Show-esque way 'This is just a moment that'll haunt me for the rest of my life.'

I've been enjoying the Saturday showings, todays was great. Monk really came up against someone that frightened him.  Must buy DVDs.

Goldentony

Todays had one of the fuenneiest parts i've seen in the series, when he was running to find the astronaut before he took off with the evidence, him and Natalie ran past what looked like display missiles with one of the ends unscrewed on one of them and placed on the floor, he stopped completely to try and screw it back on to it

"what are you doing?!"

"i...dont know"

Brilliant, i really need it on DVD.