Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:56:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Grand Theft Auto IV

Started by El Unicornio, mang, March 02, 2007, 12:34:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Unicornio, mang

Just got a Rockstar email saying that the trailer is coming 29th March. I am literally wetting myself right now.

Doesn't seem to be a lot of info about it, but the XBOX 360 and PS3 versions will be released at the same time, and apparently there will be several different islands, with "add-ons" which will be different for the two different systems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_IV

QuoteSpeculation about the location of GTA IV is rife, though there has been no official word from Rockstar at all. However, in December 2004, games industry trade paper MCV claimed that "sources close to the project" suggested "the team is looking beyond the United States for the setting of the next title, with Europe a strong contender." Furthermore, in December 2005, The Inquirer also claimed that Grand Theft Auto IV would return to London, and that the game would be split into sub-regions of London, for example: the East End, West End and City of Westminster.

Other info:

Voodoo Extreme has exciting news that Rockstar has signed a deal with NaturalMotion to use it's Euphoria engine in GTA IV.

QuoteNaturalMotion, the award-winning developer of 3D animation technology based on Dynamic Motion Synthesis (DMS), today announced a partnership with Rockstar Games, the world-renowned publishing label, to integrate NaturalMotion's revolutionary euphoria engine into upcoming next-generation Rockstar Games titles. Rockstar's integration of euphoria is well advanced, with today's announcement following several months of close collaboration between the two companies.

Based on NaturalMotion's DMS technology, euphoria uses the processing power of PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 to simulate the human body and motor nervous system, thus creating fully interactive game characters that act differently every time. With euphoria, games move away from canned animation, towards a much richer, life-like experience that is unique to the player.

Futurebobbers

Photo realistic whore stabbing in a recognisable London setting!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I don't think photorealism really suits the style of GTA. It's always been a bit cartoony and that's what gives it its charm.

Surely they can't go back to just one city after San Andreas. I think they should collect together all the cities from the previous three, stick a few new ones in and call it GTA USA. That's probably quite unlikely, but I think it'd be good.

Also, they should set it in the late 60s/early 70s, so they could work in references to stuff like Vietnam, Watergate and Woodstock and lots more classic rock. Plus it could tie up things from the other games, like why Tommy Vercetti went to prison and the backstory of characters like The Truth and Mitch Baker.

Another thing I'd like to see, which could work with the GTA USA idea quite well, is a branching storyline. I like the idea that at some point you'd have to choose which city to travel to and after that all your missions would revolve around it and the surrounding cities until the end, when you'd go to Washington and take part in some big unifying event. Then, next time you play, you'd choose a different city and fall in with different characters and see the ending from a different perspective.

And another thing they should do is a pisstake of Prison Break, in which you go to jail and accidentally ruin the blokes map tattoo while making your escape.

I've got too much time on my hands, haven't I.

Rubbish Monkey

http://www.rockstargames.com/IV/

Not much on there apart from a countdown until the first trailer.
I wonder how both the PS3 and 360 versions will differ, apart from the 360 exclusive episodic content.

chumfatty

Is this just going to be out on the PS3 and 360, or will we get a PS2 version. I'm not ready to buy a next-gen console at the moment, but this may force me to do so. My bank balance (or Mrs Chumfatty) will not like this, no sir ree bob!

Slaaaaabs

No PS2 version, they are releasing Vice City Stories for the PS2 though.

I expect a lot of people will be quite disappointed when GTA4 doesn't look like reality and only marginally better than something like Saint's Row. I mean GTA games on the PS2 are pretty damn ugly when you take a look at the individual parts, some excellent art direction (and gameplay of course) is what gives it the cohesion.

samadriel

Does anyone know what 'Rockstar Presents: Table Tennis' looks like?  Apparently GTA4 is going to be 'using the same engine' (presumably referring to the graphics engine.)

*does image-search*

...Oo, that's quite nice really.  Of course, in Table Tennis it's not rendering an entire city vista thronging with pedestrians and vehicles -- so god knows what amount of polygon tonnage it'll actually be able to shoulder per-character. (then there's the issue of one's hardware -- for the moment, the 360 and PS3 are on par with only the very mightiest of gaming PCs; they'll inevitably fall far behind over time, but we're not there yet...)

Hypnotoad.

Can't wait for some info on this, seeing this franchise on a next-gen platform will be awesome

I run the 360 through a 42inch LCD in hi-def, the cinematic widescreen effects of a large city such as Saints Row is something to behold, it really is

GTA on this platform is too incredible to comprehend

InfiniteFury

Bah!

I was determined to find out nothing about the game this time round - I can't help but wonder how much *even* better San Andreas would have been had I not  gorged myself on every minute detail in the six month pre-launch hype.

Ain't going to happen.

Only thing I know for sure about characters and settings is that there'll be no connection between old characters/locations as Rockstar have stated a few times that it will be a fresh story arc completely independent of previous installments.

Little Hoover

^ Surely they have to keep Lazlow, on the radio though.

Hypnotoad.

Totem Hokum

I'm hoping that you begin the game on some small island township just off the mainland, cycling around on a pushbike and not being able to open or operate a car until you've had a boat trip over to the first main 'proper' city location, where you then have to earn money for lessons and your licence.
I know that will most likely be a suicidal design decision as they'll probably want gamers to be powersliding around hairpin bends in the second mission, but I think it will add to a definate sense of progression from pavement pounder to schumacher over the course of the game.

Mister Six

Quote from: "Totem_Hokum"not being able to open or operate a car until you've had a boat trip over to the first main 'proper' city location, where you then have to earn money for lessons and your licence.

You don't appear to understand how criminals work.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteI don't think photorealism really suits the style of GTA. It's always been a bit cartoony and that's what gives it its charm

GTA III being the least cartoony and least charming as a result. Though it did actually force me to start the missions.

One of my housemates was such a nice person, his mind couldn't conceive criminal logic either. Every time he watched one of us killing a whore for money it was 'Why did you do that?' and 'That's a bit nasty'. Yeah, state the fucking obvious, cunt.

Maybe they'll finally fix the appalling aiming system, appalling controls and the way the game generally lets you down in the fundamentals in a way that interferes with your completion of the game. I never figured how any of these games got good reviews when reviewers criticise other less-hyped games for the same fundamental flaws.

Mister Six

I never had trouble with the gun combat system from San Andreas (except when, annoyingly, people would shoot through walls on occasion).

Totem Hokum

Quote from: "Mister Six"
Quote from: "Totem_Hokum"not being able to open or operate a car until you've had a boat trip over to the first main 'proper' city location, where you then have to earn money for lessons and your licence.

You don't appear to understand how criminals work.

Oh I know it wouldn't fit with the psyche of the game character, it's just that for so long now, GTA has been fixated from the go on hijacking any and all vehicles you come accross as soon as you put the disc in.
With each subsequent PS2 GTA, they added more storyline and plot progression to the game , so I just thought it would be a nice and controversial option for it to start out this time around, as well as distance itself from all the other GTA wannabe games that all begin the same way. There were driving schools in San Fierro in San Andreas, so it still could be likely that something similar is involved in GTAIV, but not as drastically as I suggest.

While I'm certainly excited about it - and it'll almost certainly be the first XBox 360 game I'll buy on release at it's no doubt extortionate price - I hope they learn a few things from Saints Row, eg. side missions. They're far more entertaining in SR, not just an annoying chore (12 levels of ambulance missions without being able to stop and come back to it? needless).

I have my doubts whether they'll want to be seen admitting that one of their many clones actually got a few things right though, so who knows. Either way, there's no doubt the story itself will be better, Rockstar has a proven track record in that regard.

Slaaaaabs

I'd love to see the game start off with your main character as a scumbag chav in the suburb of a London themed city and then taking you across the continent into three or four other European styled capitals.

Without Danny Dyer voicing the main character.

VegaLA

Sweet.

I'm chuffed I get in on this from the get-go ! I remember back in 04 you whores were talking about climbing over some fence into some kids house where you would steal his camera from his bedroom. I had visions of this kid getting home from school and finding yet again his camera has been stolen for the umpteenth day in a row and the parents would sigh "Looks like another trip to Best buy".

I have got no idea what that post means Vega!

I am seriously addicted to Vice/Liberty City stories on the PSP and would be almost prepared to get a PS3 for this game alone (or possibly an xbox 360)

Totem Hokum

I am bitter because I can't play Vice City stories (or any game) on my PSP anymore, I got one of those 3rd party rubber thumbstick attachments to replace my old one and all it took was one wrong knock at a dodgy angle while it rested in my bag for it to dileanate the whole mechanism. Has this happened to anyone else - or at least, has any 'whore here opened up their PSP before to fix/have a looky-loo? Any help would be appreciated. I want to moyder prostitues with a helicopter again.

Hypnotoad.

Quote from: "Slaaaaabs"I'd love to see the game start off with your main character as a scumbag chav in the suburb of a London themed city and then taking you across the continent into three or four other European styled capitals.

Without Danny Dyer voicing the main character.

Ooh, how about your character as a tough street urchin in the East End, running errands for small time drug dealers and crooks in the seventies, bit of a sweeney vibe, so good scope on vehicles and music, then moving up to a bit of a kingpin in the eighties, owning a few pubs and greasy spoon cafes, bit of protection racket, market stalls that kinda thing, then selling up and moving to the Costa Del Sol where the story continues in the eighties

Kind of a "Vice City" cockernee style, again lots of music possibilities in the eighties, over-sized mobiles, Capris, Duran Duran, dahn Marbella way

The final chapter could be moving back to Lahndon in the early nineties and getting involved in acid house clubs and ecstasy

I am 30 years old

-edit- actually I can't see anyone other than Danny Dyer voicing that character, with Ray Winstone taking over when he becomes an adult

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

If it was to be set in Britain I wonder what the chances are of them getting Gary Bellamy in to replace Laszlow.

El Unicornio, mang

Trailer for LA Noire might give an idea of what GTA IV will look like

http://www.rockstargames.com/lanoire/html/trailer.html

Famous Mortimer

I am a huge fan of the GTA games, Vice City was one of the first games I ever bothered to do the side-stuff on as well as the main completion of the game. The end mission, where I ran on the roof of my mansion and blew up the limo outside to stop the bad guys from respawning before running back inside to finish the job off, is as fun and cinematic as any film on a similar topic in years.

This game will make me buy a next-gen console. Simple as.

Re: the earlier criticism, I never had a single problem with the aiming mechanism, but then again I never played any of the FPS games where I imagine it was a bigger element. Might that be the problem? As good as it is, it can't be all things to all people.

SetToStun

Quote from: "Famous Mortimer"I am a huge fan of the GTA games, Vice City was one of the first games I ever bothered to do the side-stuff on as well as the main completion of the game. The end mission, where I ran on the roof of my mansion and blew up the limo outside to stop the bad guys from respawning before running back inside to finish the job off, is as fun and cinematic as any film on a similar topic in years.

Fuck me! That's how it's done!  Christ's cockend, I was stuck on that for so long I just gave up and all the time it was that simple. *slaps forehead in disbelief*

My name is Terry Fuckwit and I claim my miniature ironing board.

quadraspazzed

Quote from: "SetToStun"
Quote from: "Famous Mortimer"I am a huge fan of the GTA games, Vice City was one of the first games I ever bothered to do the side-stuff on as well as the main completion of the game. The end mission, where I ran on the roof of my mansion and blew up the limo outside to stop the bad guys from respawning before running back inside to finish the job off, is as fun and cinematic as any film on a similar topic in years.

Fuck me! That's how it's done!  Christ's cockend, I was stuck on that for so long I just gave up and all the time it was that simple. *slaps forehead in disbelief*

My name is Terry Fuckwit and I claim my miniature ironing board.

I never did that, just shot my way down with the M16. I did it first time too. I did use the rocket launcher to kill Lance on the roof though.

Anyway, so am I right in thinking that us PC gamers are going to be denied this then? Just like Call of Duty 3. Fucking consoleheads I hate you all!

PS: That Rockstar Bully game (Canis Canem Edit or something in the UK) is a big pile of boring wank.

Mr. Analytical

Quote from: "quadraspazzed"
PS: That Rockstar Bully game (Canis Canem Edit or something in the UK) is a big pile of boring wank.

I don't think so... it has a number of nice ideas and nice moments.  It just suffers for the bad writing.  The main character (Jimmy?) is never anything less than unsympathetic, the "baddie" is poorly designed and conceived (the ending's completely ridiculous... it's like Grange Hill meets that Emmerdale episode with the plane crash) and aside from Petey, the support characters are weak.

For example, it's weird that the girl that gets the most screen-time is the one who is the moll of the leader of the greasers.  But she's supposed to be one of about five girls.  It doesn't really make sense.

I'd really like to see them take a more character-centric approach to plot.  Rockstar would have worked so much better if the plot had been less linear.  You should have been able to win over the girls by doing missions for them directly, getting to know them through the cut scenes.  Then you could have won over the cliques by getting to know each of the characters in them.

Murdo

Quote from: "quadraspazzed"

Agreed. I'm about half way through and am wondering if it's worth the effort to keep going? Anyone completed it?

Edit. I see. Thanks Mr Analytical, it doesn't sound worth the effort at all.

quadraspazzed

Re: CCE

QuoteAgreed. I'm about half way through and am wondering if it's worth the effort to keep going? Anyone completed it?

No, I've given up basically. I might go back to it when I'm done with Psychonauts and KOTOR II on the PC (another potentially great game, this time suffering from innumerable bugs - goddam LucasArts and their money grubbing forced scheduling) - but I might have to give the PS2 back to my mate by then.

the last thing I did was unlock the first town bit and done the fairground mission, but I just can't be arsed anymore. And it's severely suffers from the lack of ability to kill people for fun (like you do in the GTA's when you get so fucked off with a particular mission and need a break and some comedy slaughter). I just feel that CCE has none of the charm, humour or scope for random acts of murder that GTA has, and as Mr. Analytical says, the writing and characters are pretty terrible too.

And as for the classroom subgames... what possessed them? Especially the English class one - word games are alright when you're in the mood, but at 2am after a few drinks and smokes... just no.

A wasted oppurtunity for a great game I think. Though as (the Irish version at least) is rated 15, I guess having killer schoolkids is a no-no for the target audience.