Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:09:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"In Conversation With Chris Morris" - Bootleggers required,

Started by Neil, March 02, 2007, 04:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

UPDATE:  A nice fellow called Tommy Trumpet has just provided us with an audience recording of the whole event:

Chris Morris - Live At Bournemouth University

Please get in touch if you happen to have recorded a better-sounding one.

This is an odd one...a nice chap called Tim Maynard just tipped us off about this, thanks Tim.  

In Conversation with Chris Morris
Tuesday 6th of March

Wessex Media Group

In Conversation with Chris Morris
Satirist, Comic Writer and Actor
Journalist Paul Lashmar talks to Chris Morris about his work.

The Media School - Weymouth House - Bournemouth University

6-30pm - Tues March 6th
5-45 â€" Networking and Refreshments  

This event is ticket only and open to Wessex Media Group members only who should e mail the Cluster Manager Lena Samuels for an e ticket. lena@wessexmediagroup.co.uk

You can join Wessex Media Group (currently at no charge) by going to the WMG web site www.wessexmediagroup.co.uk , clicking on About WMG and following the instructions for joining.

Just having a sniff about, seems like a legit site - despite their use of Comic Sans - so if this is indeed going ahead, then can one (or more) of you lot please get down there and bootleg the bugger, and then get in touch at waynecarr@gmail.com please?  Nice to see Morris beginning to defy expectations again, what with his appearance in The IT Crowd last year, and now (apparently) this.

Joe Maplin

At last we'll get to find out where he gets all his crazy ideas from.

Deadman97

Just to reiterate Neil's plea, PLEASE someone get down there and sort it for evereyone at the blue, you'll probably be a Verbwhore legend forevermore.

Lt Plonker

Beagle 2

Heh, that's a bit of a wierd one!

I often wonder if anybody involved with this site had ever considered trying to get an interview with Morris? I mean, I know it's not the kind of thing it was set up for, that it organically grew out of a desire to share and archive his stuff, and I also know that people involved with the running of this or any related site to any major degree have stated many times their uncomfortableness with the idea of fan-sites being close to their subjects. But did anybody ever think of just calling up talkback and asking for a CaB exclusive? Would it be out of the question for the reasons stated above?

In the extremely unlikely and massively hypothetical event that he should one day email the site and said "Hi, it was great listening to some of my old stuff I hadn't heard for years, though I don't certainly seem as popular as I used to be these days ROFL!!1!, say how about an interview if your interested?" - what would the response be?

Tommy Trumpet

Quote from: "Deadman97"Just to reiterate Neil's plea, PLEASE someone get down there and sort it for evereyone at the blue, you'll probably be a Verbwhore legend forevermore.
To repeat what I said in the Comedy Chat thread, I'll be going provided I manage to get a ticket.

I'll try and get in touch with people in charge to see if they could record it 'properly' and if not I should be able to borrow an mp3 player off someone  (conveniently, I've just lost mine) and just record from my seat.

notsci

Beagle. Indeed that would be a treat beyond treats, but somehow I doubt he will acknowledge the fact he regards this site...

StuartGranger

I have a ticket and will be making my way down there shortly.

Regarding 'bootlegging' I realised this morning all my equipment is in London/Manchester, so  I have no way of recording the (2 hour) event.

But,....I know a guy that works there, and he will try and sort something, but don't hold your breathe.

SG

StuartGranger

Well,..that was fucking awesome.

Did I get a recording of it? No, my mate who works as a tech told me he hooked up some equipment in one hall...at the last minute the lecture was moved to another hall...what the hell..

I made my way over there, and managed to see Chris and some Uni people talking..Chris then came out and went for a leak..I was nearly tempted to go in there and talk to him..but I didn't.

But I'm getting ahead  myself. I actually met him when he arrived, I'd gone to the shop to get a baguette and as I chomped and walked, there he was with
some Uni people holding two large green bags and dressed in basketball sneakers, a white shirt and a black/glittery scarf, a black jacket, and that wild hair. The guy looks like a hippy. Thinking back I think he may have used makeup to cover his birthmark, as it was barely noticeable. I said hi, and got him to sign a copy of Brasseye. Result!

Back to lecture hall B.

I talked briefly with 'Lena' the woman in charge of 'logistics' for the event. She saw me messing with my phone and immediately said that I'd have to turn that off. She said that Chris would 'play up to' the cameras if he knew he was being taped. I did sneak a quick pic of the projection screen with my phone. It was a still from BrassEye of the 'F.U.K.D and B.O.M.B.D' logo.

So, blah, blah, people filter in. Some douche introduces Chris to the group and then as a form of 'catch up' we're treated to the 'Cake' bit from BrassEye.

Then the same douche 'interviews' Chris for about forty minutes, and then the 'Q&A' for about another forty minutes.

Here's what I can remember;

Quote;
'I'm currently working seven days a week on Nathan Barley'

'No, I don't feel Nathan Barley was ahead of it's time..../paraphrasing here> I just feel it was a world the majority of people were unfamiliar with'

Chris is a great admirer of 'Danny Baker' and likes watching 'South Park', 'The Office', 'Extras', and lots of other stuff.

My mind's gone blank. Basically Mr Morris is a thoroughly decent guy, child-like really. It amused me at the end of the lecture when he was clearly eager to catch his train, you could see him fiddling with the straps of his bags, and yet he answered all the questions from the sweaty media students as best as he could. Then as he's about to get away, a small group start asking for autographs, he says, 'Sure', sits down and scribbles away.

What a gent.

Oh yes, when asked why he was here, he simply said;

'Because Paul asked me'.

Makes sense, he's just a regular guy with an extraordinary brain, a lovely bloke. Apparently he'd been asked by the guy who runs the Wessex Media Group to give a lecture last year, but couldn't make it.

Sorry, none of this is any particular order..

I do remember how much he swore, casually, throughout the talk.
Also, that he'd toyed with making a parody of 'United 93'.

If I remember anything else, I'll add it. I need a drink.
------
Edit: The I.T. Crowd

When asked why he appeared in it he said that Graham was a funny bloke who he liked, and he thought that acting in something he hadn't written would be 'new'. That's it. Makese sense. He also said he enjoyed going home having not have to 'live with' the work.

Also, he mentioned 'Jeremy Kyle' several times. In the context of programmes he sees which nearly make him 'vomit black bile'.

-----
Edit: Some guy, a lecturer at the uni I think, mentioned that someone from an 'internet site' had contacted him to ask if the 'Wessex Media Group' was a hoax site, this amused him. I can only assume that it was someone from this here site.
-----------

The 'Ted Maul' voice/character was based on someone Chris had worked with. He also related it to the 'Borat' character in the way that their accents are 'infectious'.

Chris;
'When you hear the Borat character speak, you want to do the Borat voice'

-----------

Chris said several times, 'I'm the worst person you could ask about that', in relation to 'how does one break into the industry'. This makes sense as he seems like the type of guy who has always done things on his own terms.
This also related to him being fired several times.
He also related this to 'YouTube'. Stating that it was a perfect way for one to make something and just 'get it out there'.

Also, the fact that 'most radio comedy seems to be on at 3am'. I don't listen to radio, but he was generalising. This related to a question about 'Blue Jam'. the fact because it was broadcast at 3am,..or something..Christ..I'm forgeting it all now..

Most interestingly, he talked of 'celebrity'. This was for me one of the most fascinating parts, as it gave you a real insight into his character. To sum up, he's not the type you will see at a premiere, etc, but we already knew that.

--------------------------------------
It also amused him how dated some of the celebrities were in BrassEye, Tanya Bryer for example, whom he said was lighthearted about the incident, as opposed to Noel Edmonds.Who apparently still hasn't gotten over the fact he was hoodwinked. But he didn't provide further details.

Ahha,..this bit..

An editor of a newspaper and Russell Grant.
He said that while making BrassEye he tried to 'get' Russell Grant. Fuck me, I can't recall for which bit..
Basically, Russell took one look at the footage and said that it used an extra/ex actorfrom 'Brookside', he then questioned Chris for fifteen minutes about it, and the piece fell apart. This same footage was then shown to an editor of (some?) newspaper who fell for it immediately.
This amused Chris that Russell was more 'media savvy and aware' than the editor of...some fucking paper, I dunno...
--------------

He mentioned 'FOX news' several times, saying that if you want to see how a corporation manipulates the news/events, watch that....but, we knew that.
-------
He also said that he regretted not being able to use some of his previous actors for Nathan Barley, as they were 'too old'. He mentioned...oh fuck, what's her name...Julie...oh fuck..the women who was in the BS 'Special'..with a blonde wig...her.

He also stated that he'd like to work with 'Warp' again but had nothing planned. He praised the film, 'Dead Man's Shoes' which I haven't seen, but I know Paddy is in it.

-------------

Reggie Kray and Bernard Manning

After recording the segment with 'Reggie' some mysterious 'big' bloke showed up at his office (?) looking for him. Chris said he thinks one of the prison guards tipped Reg off that he'd been dupped. This confused me somewhat, it almost implied that Reg was 'let out for the day' to do the segment. I apologise for my ignorance. Basically, Chris was baffled how this guy had tracked him/them down considering they hadn't given Reg any 'real' details.

The Bernard Manning segment for Brasseye was filmed at ('Bernard's club?) I think he said that. Chris said that just behind him stood two massive bouncers who told them a delightful story of kicking the shit of a bloke who lit up a spliff in the club.
Sorry, this is becoming mundane now...oh well.
-----

Oh shit, this was funny, he'd talked briefly about 9/11 and making a parody of 'United 93' (this was a joke, I doubt he'll be doing this) when I think Paul asked him, 'But what about 7/7?'
Chris replied with;
'Yeah, wasn't as good though, was it?'
And then that black smile.
Made me fucking laugh.

-----------
Edit:

'It was only 3000'..

People were pissing themselves about something else when he said that, I've only just realised he was referring to the death count for 9/11.
:D
---------------------------------------------------
When asked about 'word play' he said that it had fascinated him since childhood, and that growing up he loved 'The Two Ronnies', he also mentioned a female author, but I can't remember her name..damnit.
--------

Anonymous

Thanks for that, sounds vastly interesting.  Fuck me, I'm actually jealous now.  Let us know if you remember anything else...

Lt Plonker

Quote from: "StuartGranger"
Apparently he'd been asked by the guy who runs the Wessex Media Group to give a lecture last year, but couldn't make it.

:(

Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

Do you go to the University Stuart? I may have stumbled passed you/spilt a pint over you at some point. Does that blonde girl with the gorgeous toothy grin still work at the shop?

welcomeinjam

Aw that sounds great. Did he mention anything about any recent projects?

StuartGranger

Quote from: "welcomeinjam"Aw that sounds great. Did he mention anything about any recent projects?

Yes, he is;

'Working seven days a week on Nathan Barley'
(Yes, Series two)

He elduded to some 'other' project but wouldn't be specific.

Ahhh, you've reminded me, when this woman asked him, 'what made you come here', his immediate response was;

paraphrasing>>>>'I'm starting a cult, and I thought here would be a good place to start recruiting'..or somehting..but then, he says somehting like...

'Suicide bombers....wouldn't it be funny if you blew yourself up for no reason at all, or I mean..something really mundane...'

Hmmmm...interesting.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Beagle 2"Heh, that's a bit of a wierd one!

I often wonder if anybody involved with this site had ever considered trying to get an interview with Morris?

I know that this might generate a clusterfuck of gigantic proportions, but how about if we start a thread to ask questions to Christopher Morris, collect the twenty best or so, and email them to him?  Or perhaps our questions could be used to buttress a regular interview?  It would be great to get an audio podcast of a Christopher Morris interview!

StuartGranger

Shame I can't edit my previous post, but me bonce has remembered the following;

Chris said that when he was twelve he would listen to Noel Edmonds prank calls and would find them hilarious.
'..and then look what I did to the guy'
Then that smile again.

Referring back to him talking about 'celebrity' he mentioned that several of his friends had been consumed by their celebrity status, and quite literally gone up their own arses.< (something like that)
'....some of them put holes in their brains, literally'
He then mentioned Peter Cook, and said something along the lines of;
'..he did all these things and somehow it never effected his brain..'

Also, and this is last thing. The real Chris Morris is nothing like his 'DTD' or 'BS' persona. Alot of people envision him as a sulky dark prince living in a gothic castle. He's nothing like that.
He was friendly, upbeat, and just a little eccentric. Some of the questions asked where rather mundane, and some even embarassing, but he answered every one with patience and a smile.
What a great guy.

They say you should never meet your heroes, well, I guess they were wrong.

---

Oh yeah, he was genuinely curious as to what the group of students were currently 'into'. His knowledge of media is astounding, he consumes it all, but, again, we knew that.

Ahh, the 'Michael Grade' incident.
I just remeber him literally putting two fingers up on each hand and saying;
'It was one of these really..'
Hope that makes sense.

-----------------------

Will Vs Talent

'..have you ever noticed that some truly powerful people have no talent at all, just will. Maybe that's the way to go. Forget talent, just have the will...' - paraphrasing here.

'..believe me, just keep trying, when it happens, it will happen almost accidentally..' - On, 'making it', albeit on your own terms. The guy is an optimist at heart.

-----------
Lockerbie Disaster.

'When I worked at (Bristol?) radio, and they (the tech/crew guys) heard that one of the victims was from Bristol, they cheered..' He then raised both arms up.

Ahhh, shit, this;

He actually recorded a piece for radio which was a spoof story on Lockerbie..

'..I recorded it through the night, then listened to it the next day,..it just wasn't
funny so I didn't use it...'
---------

Ahh, he was referring to 'Julia Davis' being too old for 'Nathan Barley'.

Anonymous

All very interesting, thanks Stuart.  

QuoteChris is a great admirer of 'Danny Baker' and likes watching 'South Park', 'The Office', 'Extras', and lots of other stuff.

I'd love to know more of what current comedy he likes, if he mentioned any others... ?

QuoteAlso, and this is last thing. The real Chris Morris is nothing like his 'DTD' or 'BS' persona. Alot of people envision him as a sulky dark prince living in a gothic castle. He's nothing like that.
He was friendly, upbeat, and just a little eccentric. Some of the questions asked where rather mundane, and some even embarassing, but he answered every one with patience and a smile.
What a great guy.

Yeah, always got that impression from people who've met him or know him, reminds me of a Graham Linehan comment;

Quote"Chris hates me talking about him but he's an incredibly polite, sweet, intelligent guy who writes letters to everyone when he's finished working with them. He's a thoughtful gentleman. He's nothing like you'd expect."

StuartGranger

Quote from: "Anonymous"I'd love to know more of what current comedy he likes, if he mentioned any others... ?[

He mentioned 'Curb Your Entusiasm' and said some episodes were excellent, but others were, 'truly awful'.

Also, he compared 'The Office' with 'Extras' stating that the former was far superior. Makes sense. He also mentioned that 'The Office' grew from a student film made by Stephen Merchant, I think that's right.

Fuck me, he really covered alot.

You've jogged my memory,..there was a particular show he mentioned which he said was 'astounding' but I can't for the life of my remember what it was, because I'd never heard of it to begin with...fuck sake...I'm looking all over google, but shit....fucked if I can remember, if I do, I'll mention it.

StuartGranger

Quote from: "Anonymous"Was it 'The Thick of It'?

Holy shit...waa...ehh...gahh..?...how'd you do that?

I'm pretty sure that was it. I've not seen any of those, cool, fanks!
:)

Anonymous

Was taking notes for a disabled scriptwriting student...bummer I couldn't record the event, my notes are completely garbled. Chris covered a lot!

derekandclive

it sounds like a bit of a polite chat. did anyone grill him at all? i mean if he was asked if he sees any way to tackle the current political landscape with his own style of humour then we would have a clue into what he is working on...

Anonymous

Quote from: "derekandclive"it sounds like a bit of a polite chat. did anyone grill him at all? i mean if he was asked if he sees any way to tackle the current political landscape with his own style of humour then we would have a clue into what he is working on...
Nobody did really grill him. certainly nobody was really critical of him, anyway.

Something along those lines was asked, though... or at least it drifted into that area, but he didn't seem to want to give anything away about whatever he's working on apart from Barley 2.  He said he was thinking about subjects "from Jeremy Kyle to Osama Bin Laden", but it was just a case of finding an angle/way of dealing with the ideas, as he wouldn't want to do another Brass Eye.

derekandclive

I definitly wouldn't want to criticise him. It's a testament to him that he is reinventing himself by finding other ways to do it. Sign of a great satiricist and a great artist in general. Cheers for the info "guest"

StuartGranger

Quote from: "Anonymous"Was taking notes for a disabled scriptwriting student...bummer I couldn't record the event, my notes are completely garbled. Chris covered a lot!

Are you that fit blonde girl?
I was sat near the kid in the wheelchair. Well behind him.

:)

hencole

I was sat near the kid in the wheelchair. Well behind him.

In case he reversed over you?

Anonymous

I was down there as well on Tuesday night - really enjoyable evening. Managed to ask a couple of questions which he gave really informative answers to.

Exceptionally enjoyable. He also had good words to say about Victor Lewis Smith, which is gracious given the supposed emnity between them?

Most amusingly he's grown his hair long, which means he resembles no-one quite so much as Doctor Who-era Tom Baker....

Anonymous

---------------------------------------------------
When asked about 'word play' he said that it had fascinated him since childhood, and that growing up he loved 'The Two Ronnies', he also mentioned a female author, but I can't remember her name..damnit.
--------

I asked that question - the 'female author' is Vivian Stanshall, surrealist, leader of the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band and creator of the very bizarre Rawlinsons. Vivian was also a man...

Anonymous