Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:01:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

A little help please Cabbers about Bittorrent/BitComet, thanks.....

Started by Sadness, March 03, 2007, 03:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sadness

It's simple really.....I'm an idiot.

I went onto Bitcomet to try and download an album for my lovely lady. I did it and I have the tracks in a folder on my computer but I cannot play them? I cannot open them with ANYTHING?? I try to burn them to C.D but that's a no-no. It's frustrating as the content is there.

As I said earlier I'm an idiot so can one of you well in the know types please help?

Thanks.....

Toad in the Hole

You might have the file in two locations... if your temp folder for initial save isn't the same as your eventual destination folder, then BT dupes the files and uses the 'empty' ones for bad data.

Tip: do a file search, and see if there are any copies elsewhere.

Also, Azureus is about 25 times better then BitComet.

wheatgod

The files get created as soon as you load a .torrent , but have you actually downloaded them?

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Sadness

Thanks so much for the replies. It took a few hours to get all the tracks so they're definitely on my computer somewhere? I haven't uploaded a "torrent" as my analogue brain doesn't know how.....? (Blush).

The search idea I've done and I've opened up that particular folder but the same results occur.....

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Try downloading the torrent again? Try using a different tracker? Where does BitComet say the files are? What format are the files in?

Toad in the Hole

Quote from: "Sadness"Thanks so much for the replies. It took a few hours to get all the tracks so they're definitely on my computer somewhere? I haven't uploaded a "torrent" as my analogue brain doesn't know how.....? (Blush).

The search idea I've done and I've opened up that particular folder but the same results occur.....

Yes, but are there any copies of the files in a different folder?

uTorrent has a lesser memory footprint, but doesn't seem to upload as well as Azureus.

Part Chimp

Is there a page where all the CaB torrents are listed (such as the GLR ones and so on)?

Edit: Thanks.

gazzyk1ns

Azureus is a resource hog with lots of features most people will never use, and people love µTorrent solely because the executable is very small (and because of all the nonsense people have incorrectly inferred from that). If you're going to use BitComet then use version 0.70, because all later versions are buggy and also identify themselves as IE to a lot of trackers, which can cause at least a couple of problems.

In BitComet, click on the torrent in question, and then press the "OpenDir" button at the top. This will open the directory where the files are located. If those files don't work then either they're of a format your PC can't play, they're corrupt, or you've not actually downloaded them fully (as wheatgod said).

Part Chimp: http://www.cabmirror.co.uk/

Sadness

Got Azureus.

I'll let you know if it's better (If I get ANYTHING to play it will automatically be better!!).

I pride myself in being pretty inteligent (!) but the world of torrents/trackers/seeds etc. get's me excited at the possibilities but my brain goes all Gumby trying to do it right.....sorry CaB.

Thanks for all the help by the way.....