Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:35:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Your worst ever TV dramas - and why

Started by Seymour Clufley, March 05, 2007, 09:12:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: "Backstage with Slowdive"Yes, there is an awful lot of sub-Amicus cobblers in Thriller. But there are also some real gems, and some nice work by good performers.
Yes, I just watched The Double Kill tonight and it was the best episode so far, I'd say. Surprisingly enjoyable as I was bracing myself for the kind of misery brought on by Night is the Time for Killing!

Howj Begg

"Killer Net". Absolute shite. Except for Emily Woof talking about her 'tets'.

Howj Begg

Sorry didn't explain why, as per the thread title, erm, i'm a lazy sod mebbe someone more articulate could do it.

Still Not George

Quote from: "Howj Begg""Killer Net". Absolute shite. Except for Emily Woof talking about her 'tets'.

Oh Gods yes. That was all kinds of crap. I remember a line something along the lines of "Computer games consist of a series of linear puzzles that the player repeatedly attempts until he finds a solution." Wurgh.

Quote from: "Howj Begg""Killer Net". Absolute shite. Except for Emily Woof talking about her 'tets'.

I think it's quite funny in a nostalgic way. 1998. Wasn't even online then. And the though of using credit cards over the net seemed very absurd.

Famous Mortimer

I quite enjoyed "As If", but it's hardly strong praise. Agreed on "Ugly Betty" though, absolute arse.

Phil_A

Ah, Killer Net. Brilliant. It so desperately wanted to be an expose of the seedy underworld of the internet, but managed to get just about everything wrong. La Plante's entire research must've consisted of flicking through a magazine in WH Smiths. And dig those hip, zeitgeisty references to Neuromancer(published in 1984) and "flaming"!

Also guilty of peddling the rather quaint(even for 1998) notion that the internet is something dangerous and sexy, rather than being a place for hosting pictures of fat people dressed as video game characters.

NTK's "sing-along-a killer.net", which is scarily as old as the program itself:
http://www.ntk.net/killer/

Famous Mortimer

Hey, "Killer Net" still managed to get a great deal more right than piece-of-shit big budget Hollywood film "Hackers".

Analrapist

I actually have Killer Net on video. I remember a few years ago looking on Amazon Marketplace and seeing it being sold for £50, but for some reason I never got around to flogging my own copy.

The best bit is that the inside cover has a glossary of computing terms. Here's a sample:

QuoteInternet: Also known as the Information Super highway, the Internet is a means of global communication through E-mail and the World Wide Web.

CD ROM: A Compact Disc containing data/information, as opposed to music, which is read by a computer.

Flaming: Abusing people on the internet, usually in newsgroups.

Total Spam: Posting in a multitude of newsgroups.

Stella World: A fictional name for an active world, which allows users to choose an avatar - a graphic character - and give it their own personal name, e.g. Charlotte is RichBitch. Active worlds are computer generated environments which allow the user to travel around, meeting other characters and chatting. They talk to each other via typed sentences which appear in bubbles above the characters' heads.

Crazy days.

Ja'moke

Don't understand why people are so harsh on Lost. How many other shows on TV have this great mythology surrounding it and a proper plot that has an ending point, which the writers have said will be in Season 5. To expect answers all the time is just stupid because it would be rushed and not work out properly, some episodes are dull yeah, what dramas don't have the odd dull episode, but these last few episodes of Season 3 especially have been fantastic, plus the dialogue is great and the characters are believable, something I find that a programme like Heroes lacks (not knocking Heroes because it is still a great show).

But yeah, I have faith in the writers that they know what they're doing and when you see how much thought goes into a single episode it really is quite amazing.

wherearethespoons

Quote from: "Dark Sky"I tried watching Lost, but it was the most clichéd load of excruciatingly dull and hackneyed mess of boring nonsense

See also Smallville.  Okay, I haven't technically watched it but I've heard it when my brother has had it on and everything that I ever heard a character say was so pathetic and embarrassing I was blushing for the writers.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: "Ja'moke"Don't understand why people are so harsh on Lost. How many other shows on TV have this great mythology surrounding it and a proper plot that has an ending point, which the writers have said will be in Season 5.

Have they said the ending had been devised/set in stone all along, like J. K. Rowling says about Harry Potter? Or are they still making it up as they go along?

Backstage With Slowdive

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"Have they said the ending had been devised/set in stone all along, like J. K. Rowling says about Harry Potter?

It's got a 7-season story arc, like the Numberwang sketches.

Monkeyman1138

Quote from: "Backstage With Slowdive"
Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"Have they said the ending had been devised/set in stone all along, like J. K. Rowling says about Harry Potter?

5 seasons actually.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

It would intrigue me if the Lost creators had thought of an ending/explanation from day one and all the episodes were written with it in mind. Lots of clues along the way and all that. But if they're just whimsically meandering about for five seasons and then making something up at the end, then...that's not so intriguing.

Trouble is, haven't all the decent endings/explanations already been guessed on fan sites?

Small Man Big Horse

Maybe it will end with all of the characters suddenly bursting in to song, exploding, and then the Wonder Showzen credits could come up, along with the closing tune.

That'd make me happy, anyway.

Backstage With Slowdive

Quote from: "Monkeyman1138"
Quote from: "Backstage With Slowdive"

5 seasons actually.

No, there are going to be 7 seasons of Mitchell&Webb.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"It would intrigue me if the Lost creators had thought of an ending/explanation from day one and all the episodes were written with it in mind. Lots of clues along the way and all that. But if they're just whimsically meandering about for five seasons and then making something up at the end, then...that's not so intriguing.

Trouble is, haven't all the decent endings/explanations already been guessed on fan sites?
I'm with ELW10 on this one. There's no way they've had a 5-season story arc and are following it exactly. The plot is all over the place, and the pace of the storyline would be embarrassed by a snail at times. The only way they're now saying 5 seasons would be if the viewing figures are going down and they need to wrap it up for that reason.

Ja'moke

Damon Lindelof said that when it ends, those two skeletons that were found in the cave in Season 1 will come back into play and that will confirm that they've had this planned from day one, he said it will make you go "Ahh, so these guys did know what they were doing"...so I don't know how that will play out but I have faith in them.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: "Ja'moke"Damon Lindelof said that when it ends, those two skeletons that were found in the cave in Season 1 will come back into play and that will confirm that they've had this planned from day one, he said it will make you go "Ahh, so these guys did know what they were doing"...so I don't know how that will play out but I have faith in them.
Doesn't prove anything, as a read of the Hitch-Hikers' books will show. Mentioning stuff we saw in the past doesn't mean it was planned that way, and the series and series of padding around the events doesn't help either.

Ja'moke

No I don't think he meant it in a 'just mentioning it again' way, he actually meant they play a big part in the ending of the story and by showing us them in the first season meant they do have an ending point to get to.

The Duck Man

The Amazing Mrs Pritchard was drivel of the highest order. Put lots of straight-talking, honest, Northern women in power, regardless of skill, and we'll be living in utopia. Apparently.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: "Ja'moke"No I don't think he meant it in a 'just mentioning it again' way, he actually meant they play a big part in the ending of the story and by showing us them in the first season meant they do have an ending point to get to.
Makes more sense. They'd better have a fucking good ending after all this pissing about though.

Dark Sky

I read an interview with the creators of Lost before the programme started in the UK and they admitted that they had no idea where it was going and had no ending in sight.  It's only in the last year with the falling ratings that they've said that it will end at five seasons.  Maybe they've got it all planned out now, I dunno.

Not that that's one of my problems with Lost...  I adore Twin Peaks, which famously was just made up as it went along, with accidents worked into scripts and random imagery stuck in for the sake of it, much of which was never explained.  But Twin Peaks was never meant to be explained; a killer was never meant to be revealed; it was just supposed to be completely ongoing and untwining and twisting.  But sadly audiences wanted a resolution to the murder mystery story, hence why they were forced to complete that.

The trouble with Lost is that it has no originality and no identity, and is just a load of clichés stuck together, from the boring one dimensional characters to the hackneyed B-movie style chase sequences away from invisible monsters.  Twin Peaks is still a joy to watch because it has so much character and originality, with its quirky eccentric characters and its off the wall surrealism, genuinely spooky horror, and fantastically goofy humour.  I just don't understand what Lost has going for it which makes people watch it, because it surely isn't the characters or the storyline?

SOTS

Quote from: "The Duck Man"The Amazing Mrs Pritchard was drivel of the highest order. Put lots of straight-talking, honest, Northern women in power, regardless of skill, and we'll be living in utopia. Apparently.

See, I quite liked that. It was a bit of nonsense I watched every week and I thought it was really obvious that it wasn't taking itself seriously. It was a bit of political fluff.

Yes, all the "down to earth" bollocks got a little tiresome but it was alright.

Feralkid

Crime Traveller, Strange and the Bob & Vic incarnation of Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased) all figure prominently when I think of bad British TV drama.    

On the US side of things it's hard to pinpoint an absolute nadir but Kevin Williamson's short lived teen angst show Wasteland was memorably appalling.

rjd2

We all loved Sex And The City here I assume?

Analrapist

Quote from: "Feralkid"the Bob & Vic incarnation of Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased)

Er, what? It's everything that new Doctor Who should have been!

Ciarán2

I might be in a minority here, but Ghostwatch. Sorry, but it was laughed out of it in our house.

Jemble Fred

Why? Was it too far-fetched for you?

Quote from: "Analrapist"
Quote from: "Feralkid"the Bob & Vic incarnation of Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased)

Er, what? It's everything that new Doctor Who should have been!

I don't know about that, but it's certainly the number one influence on New Who â€" every detail of the design and the merchandise stems from R&H(D).

It's one of my favourite shows of the last twenty years, I have to admit. Criminally ill-treated by the Beeb, in the long run â€" all that money, and not a single fucking repeat! If it had been repeated in the Buffy slot R&M could have gone on making that, instead of Tittybangbang and Celebrity tat.