Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:17:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Black Books Series 2 DVD

Started by Sam, March 24, 2004, 03:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam

I thought this deserved its own thread. It's out now!

I watched all the episodes back-to-back last night and it was MUCH better than I remembered it being. Perhaps even on par with the mighty series one. And I hate to spout the cliche, but it really makes series 3 (so far) look a bit naff.

The commentary (like the first DVD) is a joy, the outtakes are much more lengthy and the "Black Dolls" sketch is delightfully bizzare.

Opinions?

I'm going into London today to see Matrix Revolutions in IMAX (which should be interesting) and was wondering if I could think of anything to spend money I don't have on.... having not seen any of Series 2 I have a recieved opinion of it (what would have been a pretty safe one, considering just about everyone says how shit it was) but your post, plus two in the Black Books 3 thread have made me wonder.

Anyone else want to praise it in the next half hour?

Darrell

2.1 is my favourite episode of Black Books.

chand

Quote from: "Sam"I watched all the episodes back-to-back last night and it was MUCH better than I remembered it being.

Same here, several belly laughs per episode, and just damn enjoyable, though I've only seen the first four so far.

Ben Ordinary

Same here. Repeat viewing has shown it to be much better than memory serves. And the Black Dolls thing was very funny but I'd have killed for a final shot of them actually holding the dolls and doing the voices. It would've been a great feature on the Day Today disc...

And have you found the two easter eggs? They're not hard to find. Press left at the side on the "Special Features" menu and a wine glass will appear. Or a bottle. I forget. This is a extended scene showing the disgusting drink Manny makes to help Bernard's hangover in "The Entertainer". Do the same thing pressing right at the other side for a further extended scene (From "Hello Sun" I recall, an extension of the toast soldiers thing).

Geej

Has anyone else noticed a slight 'wobble' in the quality of the disc when playing the first episode?

My copy seems to skip from the end of the opening titles to a couple of seconds in.

Brand new disc, no marks, three different players

Anybody else?

Darrell

Quote from: "Geej"Has anyone else noticed a slight 'wobble' in the quality of the disc when playing the first episode?

My copy seems to skip from the end of the opening titles to a couple of seconds in.

Brand new disc, no marks, three different players

Anybody else?

You're not the first person who's had this complaint. There appears to be a faulty percentage of the pressed discs. Take it back to the shop and get a replacement.

bill hicks

I had a weird one in that when I got to the end of Episode 5 instead of ep 6 starting I go back to 1 and then pressing menu shifts up one episode at a time. Never had that before on a disc.

Still at least you can select the eps fine from the menu so it's not a problem, the worst one was Following (the Chris Nolan film, which I still haven't seen). I got three discs, from 3 different parts of London ad all were the same....no film on there at all, just the trailer and the menu. That one pissed me off.

mr rou-rou

you know www.play.com has series one at £8.99 delivered and series two at £14.99

The Day Today is £11.99
Jam DVD £8.99
Brasseye £8.99

delivered!!

when hermits attack

Sam

Up! Come on let's have some more opinions about series 2. Anyone else surprised at how good it is on re-watching?

Capuchin

Quote from: "bill hicks"I

, the worst one was Following (the Chris Nolan film, which I still haven't seen). I got three discs, from 3 different parts of London ad all were the same....no film on there at all, just the trailer and the menu. That one pissed me off.

OOH! We're doing it cheap at work next week so I'll have to check it out to make sure the film's on it. It's going to be £6.99 (HMV) in the new sale, I think I'll get it on Tuesday/Wednesday and I'll let you know if it's working properly.
If I remember.

Ben Ordinary

I recall vaguely an interview with Moran around the time of the first series saying there was an original script which was just Manny and Bernard, with no Fran and it was horrible. There was also some indication that this may have been filmed. As nothing's ever turned up on either disc, I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on it. I'm in pilot frenzy today after watching Torque TV and Fist of Fun (thanks a million to the relevant parties by the way. Lovely stuff.)

Just finished the commentary for series 2 and its just as great as series 1. Lots of lovely bickering and the occasional proper fact from people you genuinely think actually like each other's company. The "fillums" bit in episode 6 is excellent.