Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,357
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:42:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Near side?

Started by Blumf, March 05, 2007, 03:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'd prefer...

Left/Right
14 (77.8%)
Port/Starboard
1 (5.6%)
Near/Far
3 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: March 05, 2007, 03:08:24 PM

Blumf

Bit of DIY work on the car this weekend brings me up against a pet hate of mine, the near side/far side differentiation between the cars left and right.

it's so bloody vague, near to what exactly? Centre of the road, edge of the road, the driver? What's wrong with just plain left and right, or even port and starboard (if you're too stupid to understand when the direction is relative to the car itself)?

Anyway, quick memory aid for you all, 'near', 'port' and 'left' are all 4 letter words. Dyslexic? Tough!

It's near side and off side (not far side) isn't it?

surreal

I had this when some fuckstick stole my wingmirror a week or so ago - garage kept referring to the passenger side as the "near side" and really confused me.  I think its "near the pavement" as opposed to "near the driver".

Mind you - isn't the fast lane of the motorway the "outside" lane even tho its next to the central reservation and therefore more like the "inside" lane???

Blumf

Quote from: "sick as a pike"It's near side and off side (not far side) isn't it?

I think you're right, makes even less sense too.

wheatgod

Always bothered me, too. Why is the inside lane on the outside of the motorway?

niat

This used to really bug me when I was revising for my driving theory test. The highway code keeps referring to the near and off sides, but nowhere does it actually tell you which fucking side is which. I still don't know, is the off side the passenger side?

extradave

On a similar subject, does anyone refer to a place that is the furthest away (in a room, for example) as 'yon end'?

I love it, I think it originates from hallowed Lincs, but could be corrected.

'Where's M&S?'

'You want to be down yon end of Deansgate'

'oh .... er .... thanks ....'