Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:13:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Re-register - the agony of choice

Started by Trouser Cough, February 04, 2004, 02:16:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trouser Cough

Hullo.

During what I thought would be a routine re-signing with C&B, I was struck with many unoriginal ideas about signing up as someone else.

Of course I had made the choice of parting with my old sign on, with its dead weights of mediocre observations and sad attempts at humour - destined forever to be a VW non-entity.

Now I have the option of making all the same mistakes for a second time around but with a slightly funnier (original) username.

Although I have now made my choice, It suprised me just how many factors could be taken into account before the choice was made, and I have decided to ask all the resigned their choice from the following options. (Change or No Change)

1 - No - I stayed under the same username because I believe in a single identity despite the odd bad post. (or Im one of the popular ones).

2 - Yes - I changed my username because I was bored with the old one, will probably tell everyone my old username for continuity.

3 - Yes - I too am a non-entity and dream about being one of the popular ones without all those replies to troll threads in my post history.

4 - Yes - I am somewhat popular, but will sign up under a new username with out telling anyone. Hopefully I can have the same impact, but if everyone ignores me I will tell everyone who I was.

5 - Yes - Everything the same as reason 4, except Im doing it to start a thread of  "who was I?" allowing others to guess for some prize.

6- Yes - I stole one the popular ones so everyone thinks Im clever, at least until the next new post, where I will come over as slow and retarded.

7- Yes - I stole someone elses, so everyone will be amazed to see "Dekonplexis" produce interesting, witty posts or gasp at 'Bill Oddie's' change from being one of the Goodies to one of the Baddies.

What were the reasons behind your choice - Its over to you.

(btw - I am still such a nobby-no-end that I can't even start a poll correctly - answers in the form of a reply please)

Artemis

I think everyone should be forced to re-sign under a different name if only to add some freshness and stuff into stuff. That said, I didn't did I? So I guess the argument ends right there.

dizzidecazz

I stuck with my old name because that's the same name that most of my human friends and workmates know me by, well, Dizzi DeCazz anyway. It is a nick name but not an internet identity.

Dr. Gizmonic

May I suggest that you simply give up on names altogether and cultivate an aura of mystique instead?

That or name yourself after a war, not enough kids are named after war.  "Crimean" is an excellent example.

Rats

Well I'm obviously the most popular poster but I'm sure everyone was sick to the back teeth with my wacky funster name, I know I was, and anyway it was a bastard to type in. I thought it would be a bit sneaky to pretend to be someone else so Rats it is. I'm going to try and be as plain and boring as I possibly can from now on.

Frinky

We should really all be numbers. It'd be great.

All the low numbers would compete with each other to have higher-number friends. We'd all be in the clique, just some higher up than others.

And I chose Frinky again, becuase I've not got a single fucking original bone in my body.

Dr. Gizmonic

Quote from: "Frinky"We should really all be numbers. It'd be great.

Dibs on the primes.

Silver SurferGhost

Is this the fourth one or the fifth?
He's so clever, I'm all bewildered and confused.

Nice touch about the polls.

gazzyk1ns

I stayed as me because I think people who are constantly changing their names come across at best as "a bit strange" and at worst "desperate for attention". I'm so glad Neil doesn't allow people to pick their own avatars and captions, I can imagine it now, everyone picking a scene/character from their favourite obscure film and constantly referring to it. Reminds me of being at 6th form when people would have to have a "favourite quote", which they thought defined them and their interests. That was the worst thing about the Bomb'd shelter, the board itself was surprisingly good and easy to use, but within about five minutes you had the screen full of crazy animations and the like. It reminded me of being in Primary school, where the teacher would have to leave the classroom unattended for literally a minute, and she'd say "Right I'm going to be gone for half a minute, can I trust you all to just behave as usual?" But within ten seconds of people being able to do what they want, there's shite all over the place.

There was certainly no chance of me wanting to stay the same on here because I was 'popular', loads of people dislike me and it's mostly down to posing about the war. The general view here is that America is evil and stupid 100% of the time and it was really interesting to see how people behaved when I (fairly politely) disagreed with them. I really didn't know how to react at first, when I first signed up I got into the habit of just being friendly for the sake of it, no matter what the topic - as I assume most people do, just to say "Hi, I'm not an obnoxious cunt, nice to meet you, I'm here for the same reasons you are...". And I never really got out of that, it was an easy way to go about things. I remember a few times, reading a thread title and thinking "Oooh excellent, I've got very strong, definite views on this, lemme get typing..." But then I'd see that someone who I was on good terms with had posted something contradictory to what I was about to write... so I just never bothered posting to the thread. Shame.

Posting about the war was a mistake though in hindsight, I know european_son recently said on here that he stays away from that sort of thread now and I wish I had the strength most of the time. Sometimes it just seems unfair not to post with an opposing view though, reading the hundredth hilarious Bush-ism and looking at the thousandth Bush/monkey comparison whilst seeing a load of people slating a country for whooping, backslapping and failing to see any other view, whilst... doing_exactly_that is agonising at times. Anyway I've been a hypocrite and done it again, this is no America/politics thread...

So yes, after I realised that people (quite rightly) weren't prepared to hold back their opinions for risk of falling out with me, I then in turn realised that you've just got to post what you think. 99.9%of people here are all right, you can have a disagreement with them but it'll get forgotten, and so it should do. When anyone talks as much as we do, about as many different things, there will be disagreements from time to time. I don't think you should hold it back at all, I think you should let it happen on here. In real life of course you can't go around starting a "mild argument" whenever your view doesn't exactly match someone else's but on here I think you can - surely that's what an internet forum is for?

I also think it helps to reassure people that you're not being sneaky, or possibly more relevantly here, "friendly for the sake of it". Sometimes on here I'll read little exchanges between people in threads and it's so obvious that the involved parties are just doing it out of need or boredom rather than actually feeling friendship. The conversation is all wishy-washy, no views stated, it's kind of like when people smile with their mouths but not with their eyes... because that's all these people ever do, post this light-hearted watered-down jovial non-conversation.

I'd like to think that when I say "I agree with you..." or "Hah, that's brilliant...", or whatever to someone in a thread then they'll know I mean it because I'm not scared to say when I hate something, or disapprove of what they're condoning, etc.

Anyway I hope I didn't offend anyone with that, it wasn't directed at anyone or any specific group of people. For example, I know Tentacle had a little animation for his avatar and Surferghost is always changing his name but I wasn't 'having a go' at anyone at all, it's just been a general pet hate of mine for aaaaages now.

blue jammer

1 -  No - I stayed under the same username because I believe I am blue jammer, it's true, I'm having my birth certificate altered later today.

Gazeuse

I have trouble remembering my real name, let alone made up ones, so I stuck with the same one.

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"Anyway I hope I didn't offend anyone with that, it wasn't directed at anyone or any specific group of people. For example, I know Tentacle had a little animation for his avatar and Surferghost is always changing his name but I wasn't 'having a go' at anyone at all, it's just been a general pet hate of mine for aaaaages now.

No offence taken, I'm sure the reason people had abnoxious animated avatars was precisely because of the "last day at school" half-term vibe in The Shelter. I would definitely have turned the animation on mine off if we had been setting up shop permanently, because after a few days I stopped thinking it was cute and I was clever, and just winced.

However we're back at school now, getting nasty and vindictive again, and everything is back to normal.

However I personally would like to see everyone choose their own avatars, I thought a lot of the ones chosen in The Shelter were excellent, a lot of intelligence and restraint were shown, and nobody choosing Ted Maul or anything. It would also save a lot of headaches in choosing what avatars to design for the site, but that's just my opinion, like.

However, how is one to know who is in the cl1que without custom avatars?

Vermschneid Mehearties

I chose VM again so people who know who they were insulting, completely disproving arguments and making me look like the immature shithead I really am. Cunts.

smoker

Quote from: "Vermschneid Mehearties"I chose VM again so people who know who they were insulting, completely disproving arguments and making me look like the immautre shithead I really am.

that's very good of you VM. you cunt

Matthias

Has anyone stolen someone else's username because they found it funny and thought, "I'd like to be the one they call [INSERT USERNAME HERE]"

Has Mayer re-registered? The board ain't the same without every thread being turned into a debate about Israel!

;-)

smoker

Quote from: "Matthias"Has anyone stolen someone else's username because they found it funny and thought, "I'd like to be the one they call [INSERT USERNAME HERE]"

fuh, someone would need to be a real twat to do something like that

elderford

I re-registered as the same username so Neil will not have to waste any time deciding whether or not he considers me to be a "smugwank".

butnut

Quote from: "smoker"
Quote from: "Matthias"Has anyone stolen someone else's username because they found it funny and thought, "I'd like to be the one they call [INSERT USERNAME HERE]"

Yes - by the way, where is Almost Yearly?

smoker

Quote from: "butnut"

i think plc said he's on paternity leave at the moment

butnut

Quote from: "butnut"

i think plc said he's on paternity leave at the moment

How long are you allowed off for paternity these days? A couple of weeks it think. I think there's new European laws coming in, that may change it to months - so we might not be hearing from him for a while.

Mister Six

I used to be Funk, but I hated that nick and nobody knows who I am anyway, so I thought I'd change it to the far more classy Mister Six.

Except...

I've suddenly been struck by the fear that there was another Mister Six once upon a time and IU've suddenly nicked his... er... nick. Anyone care to confirm or deny?

Krang

Wheres the avatars?

I kept my original name, because id probably forget if i changed it to something else...

Silver SurferGhost

Yes.
Turns out I may owe the thread-starter here an apology, and if so, it shall be forthcoming, and it shall be public.

To answer the question, I've gone through a few variants of my username, changing it slightly to avoid confusion
with other similarly-named whores (cheers by the way Space ghost, got your PM, glad we're okay),
but remaining familiar enough to those who *know* me.
Whatever the reason, I've always pointed out it was me, really.

And if the last week or so should have taught any of us anything, it's that none of us who post here are *important*.

EDIT: hehehe, just read your post, gazzyk1ns!

Tokyo Sexwhale

I kept my name because it's widely acknowledged as the best Verbwhore name of all.

However, I was tempted to go with "Nimrod Ping" or "Cornelius Boza Edwards" instead.

Spaced Cadet

I stuck with Spaced Cadet mainly because i'm a boring cunt and too lazy to come up with anything fun or wacky, despite the fact that the nearest I get to being "Spaced" these days is some drinking peppermint tea and blowing up a balloon really hard.

Trouser Cough

Quote from: "Silver SurferGhost"Yes.
Turns out I may owe the thread-starter here an apology, and if so, it shall be forthcoming, and it shall be public

Gratefully accepted! I was getting worried that I managed the record of being labelled a complete twat on my first post. (I thought I had a couple more in hand.)

Judging by the rampant trolling occuring at the same time, I suppose my first ever attempt to start a thread on GB was poorly timed.

I never did this during my non-entity days and I will be satisfied to go back to my borderline lurking behaviour. (Im just out of my depth - I will go back where it is dark and safe.

It has been interesting reading the replies, and the general concencus for any change was boredom of the old username.

Of course you could have always signed up under a new email even in the old days - but the temptation to sign up as 'Dekonplexis' was there for a moment - In the same way you have a quick idea of grabbing  money from an open cash till.

Thankfully good sense prevailled as even I know whats worse than actually being a twat is pretending to be one.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Trouser Cough"Gratefully accepted! I was getting worried that I managed the record of being labelled a complete twat on my first post. (I thought I had a couple more in hand.)
:-)

Judging by that and the eloquence of the rest of your post, you should feel no need to go back into hiding.  'twould be our loss.  And maybe yours too.

Silver SurferGhost

Yes, what a reactionary old tosser I can be.
Having now read the above and your post in TJ's "Hello I'm New" thread, I fully withdraw my ill-considered remarks,
and I am truly sorry for any unpleasantness.

Welcome.

There's no 'out' door,  you know....

Kingboy_D

To be honest I never even considered registering under anther name, and I was dreading other people doing so.  Imagine you came to work and everyone had totally new bodies, you then had to guess who was who only through conversations about Chris Morris, quirky news stories and geopolitics. Be a right pain the the fucking arse, wouldn't it?

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"So yes, after I realised that people (quite rightly) weren't prepared to hold back their opinions for risk of falling out with me, I then in turn realised that you've just got to post what you think. 99.9%of people here are all right, you can have a disagreement with them but it'll get forgotten, and so it should do. When anyone talks as much as we do, about as many different things, there will be disagreements from time to time.  

I must admit I do love getting in a good old discussion with yourself, Bill Oddie, Mr Custard etc. There's nothing worse that letting your own views become lazy and entrenched without ever opening them up for criticism, and the level of the debate on the board is of quite high (ooh, aren't we all clever). Only once I think I've been called a 'whining liberal' and told to go live in China/Iraq.

QuoteIn real life of course you can't go around starting a "mild argument" whenever your view doesn't exactly match someone else's but on here I think you can - surely that's what an internet forum is for?

I gotta admit I can't help it most fo the time, especially when somone spouts some retarded or poorly thought out opinion they've obviously just heard someone say on the telly. People at work must think i'm a right cunt, but I've got friends and everything.

gazzyk1ns

Quote from: "Kingboy_D"
...especially when somone spouts some retarded or poorly thought out opinion they've obviously just heard someone say on the telly.

That really is the worst thing in the world, isn't it... when someone says something like... I don't know... "It's all to do with Hans Blix, that's what it comes down to", because clearly they flicked the channel over and the news was on, and Huw Edwards had time to say "...awaiting the decision of Hans Blix..." before it got turned over again. It's about then that you realise it's best just to end the discussion by saying "Yeah" or something similar, otherwise you'll only end up exhausting yourself for no reason.

Politics is possibly a bad example because I hardly ever talk about that in real life but even if it's a trivial little point about a celebrity I still get really wound up when someone starts repeating things they heard on TV and not adding anything of their own. I thought the whole point of a real-life discussion was to say what you thought and why, not repeat the news as fact.