Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:53:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All-New Handfun Thread (NDS, GBA, PSP, NGPC, WS...)

Started by waste of chops, March 15, 2007, 01:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Boston Crab on September 14, 2009, 02:41:02 AM
"IT'S POD FOR THE NOUGHTIES ON METH"

Fuck, yes, that's exactly what it is. My brother and I were running through the game at the weekend thinking up different things to throw at it, just like when you used to gather round the school computer trying to get Pod to fart or piss or whatever.

I can't actually vouch for the game itself being fun; I've only got through a few levels so far. All the fun I've had has been trying to bamboozle it in the sandbox mode.

On a cynical note, a lot of things seem to have been put in purely because they're internet memes which they know people will start raving about to their forum buddies: "Haha I made a
Spoiler alert
RICKROLL
[close]
and then
Spoiler alert
KEYBOARD CAT
[close]
came along to
Spoiler alert
play him off
[close]
but then a
Spoiler alert
PIRATE
[close]
and a
Spoiler alert
NINJA
[close]
started fighting and then I made
Spoiler alert
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US
[close]
appear and then everything blew up with an
Spoiler alert
EPIC FAIL
[close]
."

But fuck it, it works for me. It's like when you were a kid and you got all your action figures together and started creating battles between Darth Vader and Megatron.

falafel

Well, I don't know about memes, but it's certainly fun. I typed in
Spoiler alert
rat killer
[close]
and got a
Spoiler alert
ninja
[close]
; but that didn't work because
Spoiler alert
he got into a gunfight
[close]
. Then I pulled up a
Spoiler alert
teleport
[close]
just for the hell of it, which took me to some
Spoiler alert
hidden laboratory
[close]
with a
Spoiler alert
zombie
[close]
in it, and I did the
Spoiler alert
zombie
[close]
in with my massive
Spoiler alert
helicopter
[close]
. After that I felt kind of hollow, so I brought up the
Spoiler alert
LHC
[close]
, set off a
Spoiler alert
black hole
[close]
and watched everything get sucked in.

Try again? Hell yeah.

I put a frog in a pond and spawned some flies for it to eat. Then I put some lilies in the pond and made some sunshine.

GOOD TIMES FOR THE BOY WITH NO IMAGINATION

lazyhour

Hey pals!  I'm off on holiday in a few days and want some fresh fun for my DS for the loooong plane journey.  If I tell you what games I like, can you recommend games I might also like?  Preferably ones that are a bit more obscure or overlooked, as I've tried most of the obvious blockbuster titles.

Thank you for your help!

Games I like (and that I recommend):
New Super Mario Bros
Mario Kart DS
All the Warioware games (GBA and DS)
Zoo Keeper
Professor Layton
Broken Sword
Phoenix Wright
Tetris DS
Picross DS
Pokemon Trozei
Planet Puzzle League
Touch Detective I and II (a bit boring and slow, admittedly, but I like it)
All the Zelda games ever made, except the CD-i ones

PS I am definitely going to try this Scribble thing.

turnstyle

Scribblenauts isn't out in UK-land until next month is it?

Those of you who have it, are you in America-world, or did you import?

falafel

lazyhour, have you tried Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords? It's Bejeweled, with extra top trump/RPG elements. Sounds fucking shit but gets super addictive. Peggle: Dual Shot, likewise. Insanely addictive peg/ball/puzzle/game of chance.

Also, Rhythm Heaven is pretty darn good fun. Rather straight-forward game mechanic which is used in a variety of amusing, inventive and increasingly difficult ways. The Coin Toss mini-game is also the best drinking game ever.

To be honest, Scribblenauts will last you beards, though. I've been running around the city all day sorting crap out, would normally be a bummer but the long bus rides have been a joy.

lazyhour

Ooh, I haven't tried any of those, Boston.  Many thanks for the suggestions, and I'll give em a go - they all sound like my kind of thing.

lazyhour

Quote from: lazyhour on September 14, 2009, 01:22:45 PM
Hey pals!  I'm off on holiday in a few days and want some fresh fun for my DS for the loooong plane journey.  If I tell you what games I like, can you recommend games I might also like?  Preferably ones that are a bit more obscure or overlooked, as I've tried most of the obvious blockbuster titles.

Assuming you've got a flash cartridge, SCUMMVM and a bunch of Lucasarts games would probably keep you going all holiday.

Pic-Pic is a nice collection of Picross-ish puzzle games.

Jake Hunter is like a humourless version of the evidence-gathering parts of Phoenix Wright. Not the most enthralling game and linear as fuck (even moreso than PW I reckon) but a reasonable diversion. It's recently been re-released with improved translations and a bunch of "humourous" bonus cases; I tried one of them and not only was it not all that funny, it was barely a game, just a bunch of things you can ask about and then you have to answer some questions to identify the culprit. But like I say, the rest of it's a reasonable diversion.

Have you got the new Professor Layton game? It's supposed to be pretty good, although not quite as good as the first.

Hotel Dusk: Room 215 is a nice adventure game with lovely art style.

Quote from: turnstyle on September 14, 2009, 01:46:30 PM
Scribblenauts isn't out in UK-land until next month is it?

Those of you who have it, are you in America-world, or did you import?

Um, yeah. "Imported" *shifty-eyed look*

Quote from: lazyhour on September 14, 2009, 03:05:01 PM
...Peggle looks bloody weird.

When I first started, I was like 'THIS IS NOT A GAME.' As you go on though, figuring angles and playing with chance, it's pretty deep, lots of skill and timing involved and it gets very very addictive. There's also a real sense of achievement every time you clear a stage and you're greeted with fireworks and THAT rousing music. I dunno, very very simple game but it clicked with me.

ozziechef

I got hold of a copy of Peggle yesterday and within 30 mins I was addicted.

turnstyle

I don't have the 'magic' means of putting new releases onto my DS before they've reached these shores, so I've decided to import Scribblenauts instead. Rather brilliantly, it's actually slightly cheaper to do this than it is to buy in the UK, and I'll have it sooner. Hurrah!

And yes, Peggle is aces. Although I don't know why they haven't released it in the UK on DS, those idiot holes.

niat

I've just bought my soon-to-be 5-year-old daughter a DS Lite for her birthday (and an R4 card).

Any recommendations for games she might like (got Peppa Pig with the console)?

And recommendations for a 36-year-old dad to play when she goes to bed? (I have already acquired GTA Chinatown Wars and Scribblenauts and it looks like she may have to fight me for her birthday present.)

madhair60

niat, your daughter might enjoy Treasure World, which is hard to explain so here's the Wiki.

Other gooduns-

The best DS game remains The World Ends With You.

Both Advance Wars titles.

Bangai-O Spirits.

Mario Kart DS, if you like Mario Kart.

Both Professor Layton titles.

Slitherlink.

Trackmania.

Er, a lot (lot) more to come.

niat

Quote from: madhair60 on September 15, 2009, 11:27:24 AM
niat, your daughter might enjoy Treasure World, which is hard to explain so here's the Wiki.

Other gooduns-

The best DS game remains The World Ends With You.

Both Advance Wars titles.

Bangai-O Spirits.

Mario Kart DS, if you like Mario Kart.

Both Professor Layton titles.

Slitherlink.

Trackmania.

Er, a lot (lot) more to come.

Thanks for that, I will hot foot it to my local torrent site games retailer post haste.

madhair60

Ooer - actually Treasure World was the kid-friendly one, the rest are a bit more taxing.  Sorry, didn't make that AT ALL clear.

falafel

After being rather excited about both, I found both The World Ends With You and Advance Wars rather tedious to be honest. But I think my attention span has been killed dead.

For kids and grownups alike, Peggle's great, and here's another vote for Rhythm Heaven.

Also:

Ninjatown
Layton
Korg DS-10 (wonderful)
Chrono Trigger
Elite Beat Agents, or, better, the original Japanese version (with easy-to-navigate menus, thankfully) - Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! (both 1 & 2 are brilliant)
Meteos
Big Bang Mini
Zoo Keeper
Electroplankton

and, yeah, quite a few others.

VegaLA

Thinking about getting the girl a DS.
Let me ask you, is it capable of playing games together over a wifi connection for when she is at school and i'm at work, not that we would do such a thing but its nice to know.

wheatgod

VegaLA

Quote from: wheatgod on September 16, 2009, 04:46:24 AM
Its time to let go, Vegs.

Sooner or later i'm going to open my arms snd let it all drop.

Cheers for that, she's been going on about having one since..well...since all her friends have one and with her birthday on the horizon i figured thats a good exscuse to buy me something. And, of course, her.

Barry Admin

Please do me a favour and don't quote this post as I'm going to edit it out (it's someone's present)

What's the Nintendo DS card of choice to go for now, folks?  The one that is easiest to use, preferably.  And where is the best place to get it?  Thanks.

ozziechef

I "heard" the Acekard 2i is the card of choice. They've had no issues with games that have been hard to crack for the R4 and M3.

ozziechef

Is anyone else loving Bowser's Inside Story at the moment? The best Mario RPG to date I think, excellent stuff.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: ozziechef on October 26, 2009, 08:21:48 PM
Is anyone else loving Bowser's Inside Story at the moment? The best Mario RPG to date I think, excellent stuff.

Have been thinking about it as it's got great reviews and heard some great stuff about it.

madhair60

I'm not a huge fan, to be honest - 4 hours in and it's still one continuous tutorial.  No real challenge to it.

jimmy jazz

Quote from: ozziechef on October 26, 2009, 08:21:48 PM

Could anyone who has *ahem* acquired this PM me a link? I've downloaded one but it doesn't seem to let me progress past the "choose a save game" screen.

Jemble Fred

I just bought a DS Lite for £65. I only have Ghostbusters. It's SHIT.