Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:54:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All-New Handfun Thread (NDS, GBA, PSP, NGPC, WS...)

Started by waste of chops, March 15, 2007, 01:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Quote from: jimmy jazz on November 01, 2009, 05:19:15 PM
Could anyone who has *ahem* acquired this PM me a link? I've downloaded one but it doesn't seem to let me progress past the "choose a save game" screen.

It needs a specific card and even then an additional patch; what card do you own?

Also, reposting this from the Old Computer Games thread, because everyone with a flashcard needs it:

Been in a Manic Miner state of mind lately, what with the recent release of Manic Miner: the Lost Levels for DS, a fantastic piece of homebrew.

It plonks together a selection of 20 of the extra levels from various ports of Manic Miner (Oric, Vic-20, Dragon32 etc) into a whole new game.  Also includes 30 extra unlockable levels.  Fucking fantastic stuff.

Download it here

MojoJojo

'Ere madhair, do you use that avatar on another forum I happen to frequent? One which is fairly involved in the release of the Lost Levels?

madhair60

Quote from: MojoJojo on November 02, 2009, 12:57:50 PM
'Ere madhair, do you use that avatar on another forum I happen to frequent? One which is fairly involved in the release of the Lost Levels?

That I do :)

Edit: Though, I'm not involved in development myself; I'm promoting it because it deserves promotion.  It's awesome.

Argh!  I'm not viral!

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Jemble Fred on November 02, 2009, 10:51:54 AM
I just bought a DS Lite for £65. I only have Ghostbusters. It's SHIT.

I'm hoping the PSP version is going to be decent

Been playing Fifa 10 on the PSP recently, definitely an improvement on last years, much more realistic player movement. Also, GTA: Chinatown Wars which is quite a bit different from the usual GTA's and takes a bit getting used to the birds eye view, but has some really beautiful graphics and plenty of humour.

jimmy jazz

Quote from: madhair60 on November 02, 2009, 12:06:24 PM
It needs a specific card and even then an additional patch; what card do you own?

I have an R4DS and use YSMenu as well. That usually allows me to play anything but for some reason it's not working.

madhair60

Quote from: jimmy jazz on November 02, 2009, 06:49:22 PM
I have an R4DS and use YSMenu as well. That usually allows me to play anything but for some reason it's not working.

I'm pretty sure it's been patched for R4.  Have you updated the firmware recently?

chand

PSP LittleBigPlanet is great, it looks fucking fantastic and plays just like the PS3 version. Levels are all new though, it's a different game. The only real practical difference to the PS3 version is that there are only two paths rather than three. Assassin's Creed Bloodlines is very good too, as is the new Jak and Daxter, so it's a good week for the PSP.

ozziechef

I'd like to reccomend 'Maestro Jump in Music' for all the DS people out there. It's fantastic fun and is a breath of fresh air to the rhythm game genre.

Quote from: madhair60 on November 02, 2009, 12:06:24 PM
Been in a Manic Miner state of mind lately, what with the recent release of Manic Miner: the Lost Levels for DS, a fantastic piece of homebrew.

Thanks for this, it's ace.

vrailaine

So what's the deal with DS homebrew now it's got an SD slot? D'you still have to do all this chinese import crap? Don't suppose there's any word processors or stuff like that on it?

Got myself an 8gb psp memory card to pass Christmas holidays by playing actual PSP games for once.

Ignatius_S

This was on El Reg today:

QuoteIt's a Bizarro-World indeed when Microsoft is held up by a judge in Europe as a paragon of openness, but that's apparently what happened in a law suit brought by Nintendo.

The games console and software maker has lost its case against Divineo Group in a Paris suit to block the sale of Nintendo DS Flash cartridges in France.

The judge dismissing Nintendo's case is reported to have said that by blocking non-Nintendo carts, the company is purposely locking out developers from their consoles.
Maxconsole, a site run by Max Louran of Divineo, wrote the judge said Nintendo: "Should be more like Windows where ANYONE can develop any application if they wish to."

The ruling has been seized upon as a victory for those building homebrew games or who install non-Nintendo games on systems via the Flash carts, and were worried that Nintendo's lawyers would come after them. The carts allow non-Nintendo games to be run on systems like the popular DS. The carts do this because they bypass Nintendo's DRM.

Maxconsole wrote: "Nintendo is deemed to be 'illegally' protecting their system by locking users out. Therefore, developers should not actually require separate development kits and should just be able to develop applications as they wish on retail versions of Nintendo's consoles."

A Nintendo spokesperson told The Reg: "We are reviewing the judgment and it would be inappropriate to comment further at this stage."

It would seem Europe is shaping up to be hostile territory for Nintendo on this topic. A court in Spain last month dismissed the company's case against Grupo Movilquick over alternative cartridges for Nintendo DS devices.

Techdirt and Publico.es reported that although the judge found the cartridges circumvented Nintendo's DRM and could be used for pirating games and playing games downloaded from the internet, they also extended the devices by adding functionality not offered by Nintendo http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/04/nintendo_flash_carts_microsoft/
There have been some rather funny rulings when it comes to technology in France before, so I don't find this too surprising.

Quote from: vrailaine on November 25, 2009, 04:42:16 AM
So what's the deal with DS homebrew now it's got an SD slot? D'you still have to do all this chinese import crap? Don't suppose there's any word processors or stuff like that on it?

Got myself an 8gb psp memory card to pass Christmas holidays by playing actual PSP games for once.
I don't really follow the homebrew side on the DS much these days, but if you're still looking I would just do a Google search as there are quite a few sites out - sorry, if that sounds like the bleeding obvious! However, I don't think there's a word processor par se, but there are apps that can be text edited – from what I remember, when this has cropped up on dedicated forums, I don't get much enthusiasm for this kind of thing.

As far as I'm aware, the SD slot has made no difference to the homebrew for the DS and I don't think that this normal SD cards can be used for homebrew – in fact, I think there's a case to be made that it was step back in some respects as all the existing Flash cards.

Zelda: Spirit Tracks is out on DS, really looking forward to getting stuck into it. I never did finish Phantom Hourglass despite being initially mesmerised by it, I couldn't be fucked with the boat stuff. I got lost somewhere, put it down for a month or so and just never picked it up again. My girlfriend finished and enjoyed it a lot, except from the repetitive Temple of Whatever bits which also ticked me off. Apparently this new one has fixed both of those quite large flaws, while building on the core gameplay mechanic - one of the greatest ever, in my opinion.

It's been compared to Majora's Mask, in that it's a little deeper, darker and more emotional/character-based, a refining of a more innovative title. Looking forward to getting started on it this evening.

spanky

It was the repetitive dungeon that made me give up on Phantom Hourglass. I have a tendency to leave games a while and come back to them, so one relying on repeating the same things whilst remembering where exactly you had got to was an annoyance. If the new one has sorted that, I'm in.

TotalNightmare

I can't wait for the new Zelda - i get my favourite gaming experiences with Zelda than any other franchise and i recently decided to play through Phantom Hourglass again because winter, it seems to me, is the perfect time to play with Link.

So, whatever little cash i have will be scraped together to buy PH, as i think a christmas tinkering with Link sounds perfect.

(ps - although frustrating, i never found the Temple of the Ocean King all that hard - it was only on that last trek through before the final boss did i really get bored of the whole time limit gubbins)

In hindsight, it's such NOT a Nintendo thing to do, in terms of level design/game structure. Backtracking has always been a part of Zelda/Metroid but the areas always seem fresh because of some environmental/ability change. That Temple was just cheapo mega wanksmith.

vrailaine

Quote from: vrailaine on November 25, 2009, 04:42:16 AM

Right so far I've gotten:
LittleBigPlanet
Smackdown Vs Raw 2009
Half Minute Hero
Disgaea
Final Fantasy Tactics
Jeanne D'Arc
Patopon
Puzzle Quest
Lumines
Chinatown Wars

What else should I get, bearing in mind that the newest game I've played asides from Football Managers is probably from about 2005

ozziechef

Can I reccommend Warioware DIY to you all. Aside form the typical Warioware game there's a whole new section where you make your own minigames - you draw the graphics, create the music and decide how the user wins (and animate the screens) - this opens the game to a whole new dimension, especially as I now have a whole Warioware level full of games that would make Nintendo have a heart attack.

I

Quote from: ozziechef on March 31, 2010, 08:22:18 AM
I

Sorry, been waiting for you to finish this sentence or I'd have said something earlier. Definitely good fun, needed to inject a little something into the Warioware games.

Anyway, for those R4 users who've been feeling a little left out of DS piracy this past year or so. There's a new 'Wood R4 1.05' firmware for it which runs pretty much anything. It's brought the defunct kit bang up to date. Yer Sonic Racing, Mario & Bowser Inside Story, etc. run like a dream. Much more customisable than the R4 FW too.

100% recommend.

Ignatius_S

Anyone played on Infinite Space?

Quote from: The Boston Crab on April 19, 2010, 09:00:23 AM
...Anyway, for those R4 users who've been feeling a little left out of DS piracy this past year or so...
Speaking of piracy, Take 2 blamed the relatively disappointing sales of GTA Chinatown on it. I suppose, they would say that but I certainly got the impression from quite a few forum posts that some were loving it with paying for it.

El Unicornio, mang

I'm delighted to see that UFC Undisputed 2010 is coming to the PSP in September. Hopefully they won't balls it up.

chand

madhair60

I hope it's not 3 hours long like the first one.

Small Man Big Horse

I was just wondering if anyone could help out - I bought this for a quid at a car boot sale at the weekend, but it doesn't have any instructions for it. So I did a brief search online and can't seem to find any evidence of it existing (at least not for the Gameboy Color).

So if anyone can point me in the right direction to a decent site that might have info about it it'd be hugely appreciated.

Sivead

I think thats a unlicensed pirate game. There was quite a few knock-off Game Boy games of popular franchises knocking about.

Small Man Big Horse

Ah, I thought that might be a possibility - thanks for that, shall just have to keep on buggering about it with it til I work out how to play it. Or throw it away. One or the other.