Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:23:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The National

Started by actwithoutwords, March 21, 2007, 02:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

actwithoutwords

I don't think I have seen this band mentioned before on this forum (and obviously the search function is currently not much help in this regard). But I absolutely love them. Their last album Alligator is one of my favourite records of the last few years. There isn't a bad song on it. I don't know what it is about them, but their songs feel incredibly strong. I think it's the combination of an excellent sense of both melody and drama.

Anyway, they have a new album Boxer, coming out in May 21st and I can't wait. Videos of two new songs have surfaced this week from the Take Away Concert Series (which is worth checking out: www.takeawayshows.com).
They are beautifully shot, and the songs themselves sound lovely.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1fwmf_403-the-national-start-a-war

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1gw4m_404-the-national-ada

Also, here's the video for Lit Up from Alligator:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAjw8sKBbCg

So any other fans around? Anyone going to the Astoria gig in May?

thewomb

I'm a big fan of '90 Mile Water Wall' and I bought the 'Abel' single but I've yet to explore them further.

hoverdonkey

Someone who used to post on here a lot persuaded me to get Alligator, but I haven't listened to it nearly enough as I perhaps should. It sounds like it is good, but I haven't quite got used to his voice yet. I'll give it some more airtime this week.

Anon

Ooh, looking forward to this a lot - Alligator really is a very consistent album (and the one before it ain't bad either), although I hope it's more in the vein of songs like Karen than Abel.  Still, I'm sure it'll be good stuff regardless.

actwithoutwords

Just a bump for this super soaraway thread in advance of the release of Boxer next week. I gave in and downloaded the leak some time ago and it's really lovely stuff. I don't think it's quite as good as Alligator but it's still probably my favourite album of the year so far. It's lacking in some of the adrenaline of Alligator, but the more consistent mood works well I think. It hangs very well together as an album. Like their previous releases it is a grower though. They are ridiculously underrated, which I put down to a combination of their nondescript name and the fact that their albums take a while to settle and reveal their greatness. I suspect that the music media realises they fucked up a bit in not recognising Alligator at the time, so Boxer is getting much more heat already. More people knowing about this band can only be a good thing.

Anyway, here is an MP3 of Fake Empire, the first track on the album. Great stuff. The horns at the end are gorgeous.
Can't wait for the Astoria next week.

actwithoutwords

Double post overenthusiasm.

dogmonkey

Boxer is possibly, nay probably my favourite album in years. The National deserve so much more attention than they get, and no one I've recommended to has been disappointed yet. BOXERRRRRRRRRR

thugler

Never managed to get into them. They are alright, but just seem a bit dreary.

Anon

Yeah, been listening to Boxer a bit recently - maybe not quite as good as Alligator, but that still leaves one bloody good album.  As actwithoutwords pointed out, it's a very consistent album with pretty much nothing in the way of flab whatsoever.  Do, do check em out.

actwithoutwords

Someone actually bumped this thread. Fantastic.
Saw them at Latitude Festival yesterday. An afternoon set of only about half an hour, using other bands' equipment, but absolutely blisteringly good. They have grown into an incredible live band. The dynamics of the songs change significantly, lots of building to huge climaxes, which I love more than life itself.
The Boxer songs sound much more muscular live. They are playing Shepherds Bush in November, if anyone hasn't seen them, go go. You won't regret it.

falafel

I saw them at Roskilde Festival two weeks ago. They was awesome. I got all my friends into them too. 'Apartment Story' was especially stunning. I agree with everyone here - if you haven't got Boxer you should get hold of it, or I'll get the taste police onto you.

actwithoutwords

BUMPITY

They are playing two nights at the Shepherd's Bush Empire this Wednesday and Thursday. If you have ears, go, you cunts.

Jack Shaftoe

Ooh christ, I love this band, and I'm in Shepherds Bush on Weds - I MIGHT GO!

Thanks for the heads up.

jaydee81

Quote from: actwithoutwords on March 21, 2007, 02:09:03 PM
Videos of two new songs have surfaced this week from the Take Away Concert Series (which is worth checking out: www.takeawayshows.com).

Quote from: actwithoutwords on October 31, 2007, 04:58:45 PM
Well, you have already got more replies than my previous thread on this got.

Fucking cunts the lot of you.

You're running me close now...

Vitalstatistix

I am absolutely loving Boxer at the moment, been playing it non stop for about a week now. For some reason I didn't think I'd like this band, but they just have such a great vibe, and as someone pointed out above, a great sense of drama. The album sounds gorgeous, and there's some really great emotionally enveloping moments, not to mention an absolutely fantastic drummer.

I can't wait to check out some of their earlier stuff, as I really do love this album!

Schnapple

Boxer has grown on me more than any other album this year.

Vitalstatistix

Finally got round to checking out Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers (which is pretty good on first listen) and Alligator (which is just absolutely brilliant). These guys just continually surprise me at just how fucking good they are..

Anyone heard any Clogs? They're a folky instrumental post-rockish outfit featuring one of The National's guitarists, and apparently the person who did all the orchestration on Boxer. Their latest album Lantern is very nice, though they'll never be as affecting as The National without a vocalist, especially considering the immense talents of Berninger.

On a final note. A heads up to National fans - They've been added to the line-up to the Explosions curated ATP. Booya, I am so fucking there! Yes!

actwithoutwords

Lantern is absolutely lovely. Padma Newsome is a very talented chap indeed. Also hilarious to watch onstage. The forthcoming Clogs album will have lots of guest vocalists actually, including Berninger himself*. Clogs are playing with the National in Syndey. Please please please may they join them on the ATP bill. That would be absolutely perfect.

Edit:* Ooh, and Sufjan. Late spring apparently.

Anon

Quote from: Vitalstatistix on January 13, 2008, 03:24:10 PM
Finally got round to checking out Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers (which is pretty good on first listen) and Alligator (which is just absolutely brilliant). These guys just continually surprise me at just how fucking good they are..

Anyone heard any Clogs? They're a folky instrumental post-rockish outfit featuring one of The National's guitarists, and apparently the person who did all the orchestration on Boxer. Their latest album Lantern is very nice, though they'll never be as affecting as The National without a vocalist, especially considering the immense talents of Berninger.

On a final note. A heads up to National fans - They've been added to the line-up to the Explosions curated ATP. Booya, I am so fucking there! Yes!

Yeah, The National have yet to produce an album less than very good - although there's a definite jump in quality between the first two and Alligator and Boxer, which are just classics.  The self-titled debut, while perhaps their weakest album, still has lots of great songs on it, and it's well worth investigating once you've digested Sad Songs and Alligator.  I'll have to check out that Clogs band though, sounds pretty interesting.

Vitalstatistix

New EP released entitled The Virginia, along with a documentary film called A Skin, A Night.

It's a bit of an odds n sodds comp with some excellent b-sides, few dodgy demos, few okay live songs and a cover. The new version of You've Done it Again, Virginia and the new song in demo form called Forever After Days are the highlights for me. This is one for the big fans though, admittedly.

Haven't seen the doc, so would be interested to hear some views.

Tracklisting:

1) YOU'VE DONE IT AGAIN, VIRGINIA (previously unreleased)
2) SANTA CLARA (UK b-side)
3) BLANK SLATE (UK b-side)
4) TALL SAINT (demo)
5) WITHOUT PERMISSION (unreleased cover)
6) FOREVER AFTER DAYS (demo)
7) REST OF YEARS (demo)
8) SLOW SHOW (demo)
9) LUCKY YOU (daytrotter session)
10) MANSION ON THE HILL (live)
11) FAKE EMPIRE (live)
12) ABOUT TODAY (live)

vrailaine

they done a 30 minute set at oxegen last year which was outstanding.

dont ask me why they were only designated 30 minutes, insanity perhaps?

Vitalstatistix

Bumpo for new songo

http://www.darkwasthenight.com/

It's in the Listen box on the right.

I like it, wild instrumentation.