Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:08:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

DANNY BAKER - All Day Breakfast Show (Podcast)

Started by Beep Cleep Chimney, March 23, 2007, 07:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I know that most of us have posted the following sentence at least three or four times so far, but... was there no show yesterday? Again????

That last one up on the ADBS site is the one with the Dirty Fan Mail guys as guests. Where on Earth is yesterday's show?!?!?

Damn No-Goodniks...

Uncle TechTip

There can't be that many Baker fans in the world. Surely wippit already has the infrastructure that you'd expect  from a major e-commerce site, how do they cope normally?

Another no-show yesterday, either on wippit or on the ADBS site. Crock.

Entropy Balsmalch

Finally caught up with the Robert Popper show last night.

Someone's probably said as much on here already, but what an utter waste of time to invite someone on and then talk all over them and jump on all their punchlines.

As you can probably tell, I'm already a long way behind and losing the will to catch up.

I'm begining to wonder if this is ever actually going to reach the "paid for" stage, or if DB will go on holiday, come back and just carry on at the BBC.

Uncle TechTip

It's bound to happen if only to avoid the chance of egg on their faces after all the brouhaha over "a new dawn of radio", "cash cow" etc etc. It could go spectacularly wrong, though.

Lfbarfe

Quote from: euler on July 19, 2007, 07:22:45 AM
I've done some searching on Google - you can't get it on a channel number unless you have a London postcode apparently.

I have found some information on how to add the channel, but it still doesn't appear in the list of channels to add...does anyone know if these settings have changed?

It's moved to: 11954 H 27500 2/3

euler

Quote from: Lfbarfe on July 19, 2007, 01:09:12 PM

Thanks for that - will try it when I get home!

jennifer

Listened to the Dirty Fan Mail one today (I really like DFM so I don't mind the constant plug) was anyone else internally screaming "GIL! HIS NAME IS GIL!" when they couldn't remember the Jack Lemon-y simpsons character? I'm furious cause he'd be the first one I'll bagsy in the simpsons giveaway

Speaking of which, no names, no packdrill but I got one of my giveaways read out in an approving fashion, it does give you a bizarre little glow when it happens. Nothing on the website though.

Quote from: jennifer on July 19, 2007, 01:28:34 PM
it does give you a bizarre little glow when it happens.

Sadly, that all too true. On the two occasions I've had one of my e-mails read out - yeah, that's right - I did rejoice internally. Unfortunately, however, I'm just too damn shy to actually phone up, even though I have a story which incorporates being chased by an animal, the demise of a childhood toy, and how nuts is your dad.

Sadly, that's the only funny story I could ever put forward. Nothing else outlandish has ever happened to me. I think I need to spend more time in the vicinity of wild animals, and looking for ghosts.

Ja'moke

I've had one email read out and that was on the very first podcast (no the pilot ones, the first proper one). But since none of my giveaways have been read out or added to the website.

niat

Robert Popper chose Droopy as his cartoon character. I emailed that as my choice about a fortnight ago, but is it on the website? Is it fuck.

I notice that Sonny has removed all the giveaway lists - apart from the albums - from the ADBS website. I can only assume that he's gone away to compile them properly. S'only fair - otherwise you have comedy slebs like Popper coming in and stealing choices from the hands of humble C&B posters.

If anyone nicks Thelma Todd, Marvin The Martian and Tony Hancock from me, I'll freakin 'ave 'em.

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: jennifer on July 19, 2007, 01:28:34 PMwas anyone else internally screaming "GIL! HIS NAME IS GIL!" when they couldn't remember the Jack Lemon-y simpsons character?

Not internally, no.

Uncle TechTip

A show has turned up in my Juice for 19 July - none for 18 *shrug*

Famous Mortimer

I stopped after the show where he defended Gervais by telling the person who criticised him "unless you can do better, don't criticise". My email to the show asking if Danny Baker, at the time he made those godawful football videos, was a Premiership-level player, went unreplied-to.

Too much of the show was just interest-free, and with David Kuo (who I just don't find funny in the slightest) on regularly it became a chore to listen to. Given that if they're charging for them there's a lot of people who'll expect to get paid, I don't know if they're going to make enough money for it to be a going concern. Again, idle speculation, but it doesn't sound as if quality has gone up since I stopped listening and I doubt I'll bother subscribing again.

Paaaaul

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on July 19, 2007, 04:02:55 PM
A show has turned up in my Juice for 19 July - none for 18 *shrug*

Have they changed the xml link again, as my Juice hasn't picked up a show for at least a couple of weeks, and I've been relying on the ADBS site to download them?

Today's show is on Wippit now, miraculously.

ozziechef

My Google reader subscriptions seemed to stop. Is there any way to get them without going near itunes or wippit?

Anyone help?

Paaaaul

Currently downloading todays show from Wippit at 2kps.

Might have it by August 19th.

euler

Quote from: Lfbarfe on July 19, 2007, 01:09:12 PM

Yup - that's worked...

...now, next question ; any way of recording content to a Sky+ hard drive after you've had to add a radio station using this method?  I've not worked it out if there is...

Fuck's sake - I've been downloading today's show for an hour and ten minutes, and it's still not done.

There's no point writing in to complain, is there?

Fripping Wippit.

Paaaaul

Quote from: klaatu! on July 19, 2007, 06:07:59 PM
dannybaker.wippit.com/daily.xml

Stick that into Google Reader and it seems to work.

Thanks.

Quote from: klaatu! on July 19, 2007, 06:07:59 PM
dannybaker.wippit.com/daily.xml

Stick that into Google Reader and it seems to work.

Pardon my ignorance, but are you supposed to post that link into the "browse for subscriptions" search engine? I did that, but it just led to the link that I'm still downloading.

Paaaaul

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 19, 2007, 07:02:33 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but are you supposed to post that link into the "browse for subscriptions" search engine? I did that, but it just led to the link that I'm still downloading.

I put it into Juice and got a download at 100kbps rather than the 2kbps I was getting direct from Wippit.

Marv Orange

Cant exactly put my finger on whats changed, maybes its the lack of listener phone calls, disappointment with the customised edition or familiarity breeding contempt or it becoming slightly more polished. I'm feeling less of a member of a little gang which was the feeling the pilots and the shows that followed gave and dont feel the need to continue listening.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 19, 2007, 06:52:30 PMThere's no point writing in to complain, is there?

Fripping Wippit.

I'd email the show direct if I were you - let them know how pissed off the listeners are.

Quote from: Godzilla Bankrolls on July 20, 2007, 12:10:23 PM
I'd email the show direct if I were you - let them know how pissed off the listeners are.

Yeah, I think I will.

And thanks for the pointer, Paaaaaaaaaaaul. In the end, though, I went to the pub, and it had finally downloaded from Wippit by the time I got back. True story.

And Marv, I can't quite put my finger on it either, but I think you're right about the lack of listener contributions. While I was waiting for yesterday's show to download, I listened to one of the earlier ones - David Eats Dog, to be precise - and the atmosphere was notably looser, warmer and funnier, with Danny and David on fine form, and that great call from the bloke who'd been chased by a lion. We need more of that sort of stuff.

kidsick5000

I have decided to ttry the paid for version. Just got an itunes card.
There is something missing recently, or maybe it is the constant repitition about ghost partners and the like. In the last one, Danny told a story he had told many times before but David was doing the 'zoo audience' thing of lapping it up.
Its still better than any radio show over here though, so any griping is all relative

Entropy Balsmalch

Quote from: kidsick5000 on July 20, 2007, 02:53:02 PMor maybe it is the constant repitition about ghost partners and the like.

If I hear Danny Baker say "My friend Danny Kelly has never worn a pair of blue jeans in his life...." one more time....

Or "I've never seen a Rocky film in my life..."

I think he genuinely forgets that he's said this stuff many, many, many times before. I suppose we all repeat ourselves from time to time, but still...