Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:09:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

DANNY BAKER - All Day Breakfast Show (Podcast)

Started by Beep Cleep Chimney, March 23, 2007, 07:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Well, tis official - Dan announced today that once the £2 tariff comes in, the radio shows will be no more. Oh well.

_Hypnotoad_

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 24, 2007, 06:27:45 PM
Well, tis official - Dan announced today that once the £2 tariff comes in, the radio shows will be no more. Oh well.

Blimey!

Was that his call or the beeb?

He's putting everything into a rather unproven format for what he wants to do with it, and I think most will agree they have lost enthusiasm since the first few downloads

I reckon this will go to shit and he'll be back in the morning slot on BBC LDN next year

Good luck to him though, I'll certainly subscribe for a few weeks and see how it goes, they need to move off Wippit though, the reliability is fucking attrocious

You can't get to his area at the moment, just says they are moving it to a better server

batwings

Quote from: Paaaaul on July 24, 2007, 08:41:29 PM
Bonus Podcast -http://the%20time%20knowledge%20podcast%2034 includes DB's Q&A with Matt Groening.

Is that link a clever parody of Wippit's legendary web prowess, Paaaaul?

Or put in a less wanky manner: could you please check the link as it seems to be broken, cheers!

batwings

Apes, ivories etc to you both, cheers.

As for the podcast... I thought Mondays was great, mostly due to Danny's Bob Dylan anecdote. Not sure if I'd pay £2 for 5 a week, though. I'll probably sub for a month and see how things turn out once Baker has only the one thing to do each day.

Famous Mortimer

Does anyone think it was a power play that's blown up in his face? It seems a massive risk. Ah well, I won't be subscribing as it's just not good enough in my eyes to warrant the cash, but best of luck to him.

kidsick5000

If they bring back the stunts for the paid show then that will make £2 better spent.
I have fond memories of a chap called Charles doing dog sledding in a shopping trolley with a string of sausages as bait.

Oh yeah, "You're rubbish, Monkhouse"

Uncle TechTip

Yeh, it picked up again this week due to good stories, and that's something that can only increase when he's doing just one show. But I've also been catching up on the London shows, and I have to say they feel more lively and engaging, purely I think because of the listener feedback element - people calling in reaction to something said on the show. This is a key part of Baker's style, and it's something they need to solve for the podcast. Because in comparison they feel a bit flat.

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on July 25, 2007, 08:23:43 AM
Yeh, it picked up again this week due to good stories, and that's something that can only increase when he's doing just one show. But I've also been catching up on the London shows, and I have to say they feel more lively and engaging, purely I think because of the listener feedback element - people calling in reaction to something said on the show. This is a key part of Baker's style, and it's something they need to solve for the podcast. Because in comparison they feel a bit flat.

Agreed on every count, but I still can't see how they can feasibly maintain a "live" element on a recorded podcast. Maybe they need more people to sift through the e-mails, so that a topic or point raised on one show can be quickly responded to on the following show. As you say, part of the fun of the radio programmes is when Dan comes up with a topic off the top of the head and a deluge of related calls and e-mails follow within the hour. But if they could keep that sort of thing going on the podcasts, then I think that'll be pretty satisfying.

And I agree with Kidsick - I miss the phone stunts, which could easily be done on the podcasts too.

The Dylan* and "you're rubbish Monkhouse" stories were indeed laugh-out-loud-funny - just the sort of thing that will make me pay for more of these, as long as there's something equivalent in every show. Which, with Dan's fanbase now hopefully concentrating their efforts solely on the podcast, there probably will be.

* That version of "Like a Rolling Stone" from "Sebastian Cabot - Actor. Bob Dylan - Poet" was great, especially his ridiculous intonation on "didn't you?"

_Hypnotoad_

Some podcasts go out live via Skype, which might help a bit

So, everyone who is around at the right time can listen in to the show live and call in as necessary, but the whole thing is recorded for everyone else to download later as normal

I wonder if this has occured to the team

niat

He's at it again! Shit country music ahoy!

(Trying to come up with a limerick for my home borough of Bexley)

_Hypnotoad_

The ladies bras, the ladies bras, the ladies knickers and the ladies bras

<ladies and gentleman>

The ladies bras, the ladies bras, the ladies knickers and the ladies bras

Surely Baker has one of the best irreverant music collections in the world

niat

I take it there was no show yesterday, and none today so far? I've just about caught up with the podcasts after a week off, and just when iTunes seemed to be the quickest place to look for new episodes, they seem to have dried up. Google Reader doesn't seem to have  updated for a while, and Wippit is just shit. There seem to be so many different ways of downloading this, I hope they sort it out before the subscription starts or they're fucked.

Edit: Yesterday, not tomorrow.

Yup, no show yesterday. Without wishing to sound like a broken record, it really is an absolute fucker trying to get hold of these shows, isn't it?

I notice on the Wippit site that the picture of Danny and Co. holidng a big "Wippit" sign has been Photoshopped so it now looks like they're holding a sign bearing the "All Day Breakfast Show" logo. Hmmm, does this mean that they may be moving to a new, more reliable home soon? I hope so.

Uncle TechTip

And yesterday he had the gall to pick on someone who'd complained that the shows were getting shorter... if this were to carry on when he's charging for it, well... who'd bother?

EDIT: New show for 26th, just checked Juice

I thought that too. But then again, the shows aren't actually getting shorter, are they? You get 45 minutes, or 50 if you're lucky. I don't think there have been any running shorter than 45 mins.

niat

Yay! New episode is now on the official website with links to Wippit and iTunes.

Ja'moke

I find iTunes is the best way of getting them, at first it was a bit slow at updating, but they always seem to be there on the day they are recorded now.

R. Sparts

Quote from: Ja'moke on July 26, 2007, 04:00:56 PM
I find iTunes is the best way of getting them, at first it was a bit slow at updating, but they always seem to be there on the day they are recorded now.

Yup, it seems very reliable now

niat

Baker is currently lambasting the BBC, on his BBC show, as there was apparently a party last night to which the whole station apart from him was invited. He's playing "This Could Be the Last Time" by the Stones, as if to say this could be his last show.

No new podcast up yet, though.

It's always amusing to hear him lambast his paymasters in an ostensibly light-hearted style, when it's clear that he's actually pretty pissed off.

I really hope that this isn't his last radio show - but it's still a bit rich for the BBC not to invite him to their party, especially as they're advertising the station using his big ol' face on the side of London busses!

EDIT: Ha! This is all very funny. The more I listen to this, the more it's becoming apparent that he doesn't actually give a fuck. He's just using it as an excuse to take the piss out of the station.

Ja'moke

Latest podcast is up on iTunes by the way.

euler

Quote from: euler on July 27, 2007, 04:08:42 PM
...and it is under 40 minutes in length.

Something of an understatement, euler. Just spent 20 mins downloading it from Wippit, and the recording cuts out after 4 minutes. Fecking Wippit.

euler

I got it from iTunes myself ; comes in at just over 39 minutes...

niat

Eh? It's not on iTunes as far as I can see, and not on the official website, which is where I've been linking to iTunes from this week. What magic code do you need to get this to update?

euler

I didnt have to do anything special in iTunes really - I just did a right hand click on the podcast name, then "Update Podcast" and it forced a download.