Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:50:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"UKTV Gold to revive Rickets for six-part series"

Started by The Mumbler, April 04, 2007, 03:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mumbler

Memo to television: Have some new ideas.

------

Brucie back on Generation Game

John Plunkett
Wednesday April 4, 2007
MediaGuardian.co.uk

Thirty-six years after he first invited viewers to see what was on his conveyor belt, Bruce Forsyth is returning to the Generation Game.

Forsyth, better known to a generation of younger viewers as the host of BBC1's Strictly Come Dancing, will present a revival of the classic gameshow on UKTV Gold.

Largely an archive show made up of clips of series past, the new UKTV Gold series will also feature newly filmed segments as former contestants attempt to recreate the challenges of yesteryear.

Called The Generation Game: Then Again, it is the latest classic TV format to be revived by UKTV Gold.

The channel also resurrected Terry Wogan's chatshow with Terry Wogan: Now and Then, and will bring Jimmy Savile back to the small screen with Jim'll Fix It Strikes Back, which begins on UKTV Gold tomorrow.

UKTV Gold's Generation Game revival is being made by former BBC head of entertainment commissioning Jane Lush and her independent production company, Splash Media.

"Bruce is now really busy but he loved the idea," said Lush, who worked with the veteran presenter - who is 80 next year - on Strictly Come Dancing.

"Bruce invented a genre in the way that he used to tease the contestants and joke with the audience."

The UKTV Gold channel head, James Newton, said the return of the Generation Game "reinforces our strategy to reconnect with viewers with their favourite shows in a contemporary way".

UKTV Gold has spent £10m on new programming in 2007, and today unveiled new channel branding, featuring gold coloured space hoppers, which will go on air tomorrow.

Other new shows include US comedy The New Adventures of Old Christine, with former Seinfeld star Julia Louis-Dreyfus, which UKTV Gold has exclusively in the UK for the first two series.

Forsyth will present five episodes of Generation Game: Then Again, which will be filmed in front of a studio audience in the late summer of this year.

UKTV Gold is a part of the UKTV commercial joint venture between BBC Worldwide and Virgin Media Television.

----------

In other news, ITV1 is to re-create the network's 1979 ten-week industrial dispute. On 7 August, the screens will go blank.

Ray Le Otter

Quote from: "The Mumbler"In other news, ITV1 is to re-create the network's 1979 ten-week industrial dispute. On 7 August, the screens will go blank.

ITV2 will be showing "Strike! Uncovered" where Kate Thornton & Jono Coleman go behind the scenes to uncover the stories and gossip that made this strike so effective.

Ciarán2

The BBc are about to announce "Top Of The Pops 2 Re-booted", where you can relive Johnny Walker's flu-ey voice introducing Shania Twain's "That Don't Impress Me Much" video (phwoar eh, forty-somethings?), Celine Dion's "Think Twice" (which will be performed 26 times throughout the six week series) and all your fave classic features;  Recorded For Recall. Dave Lee Travis' "First Time" and 4 second clips of highlights from TOTP2 from this week in 1995. Then Chris Moyles will inroduce his favourite Steve Wright links. Featured clips The Supremes "Baby Love", Sonny and Cher "I Got You Babe" and that Dexys one where they got the photo in the background all wrong! Har!

Doctor Stamen

Absolutely desperate.  I look forward to "The Interceptor - Reloaded".

weirdbeard

I'm far more infuriated with UKTV Gold showing a bunch of third-rate US shite.  I don't mind the Now And Then series, it's supposed to be an archive TV channel and although showing full, uncut original episodes would be preferrable, doing clip shows with newly recorded links/sketches isn't too bad - at least it's roughly in the remit of the channel.  Wouldn't (or shouldn't) work on any other channel (although Gameshow Marathon   is starting again on ITV1 on Saturday night.)

The Mumbler

But this is Forsyth's *third* stint at the Generation Game, for God's sake. I was willing to be generous the last time he went back to it (1990), although maybe that was because he'd just done Takeover Bid. (Remember that? There's something that's *never* going to get revived.)

The Mumbler

Quote from: "Doctor Stamen"Absolutely desperate.  I look forward to "The Interceptor - Reloaded".

The host
Then: Annabel Croft. Now: Natasha Kaplinsky. Inevitably.

The villain
Then: Sean O'Kane. Now: Fame Academy's Richard Park. On a pogo stick.

Where's Peter Fincham's direct line?

weirdbeard

Quote from: "The Mumbler"But this is Forsyth's *third* stint at the Generation Game, for God's sake. I was willing to be generous the last time he went back to it (1990), although maybe that was because he'd just done Takeover Bid. (Remember that? There's something that's *never* going to get revived.)

Oh yeah, if it was coming back on prime-time BBC1 then I'd agree with you.  But a handful of links and sketches in an otherwise archive programme on UKTV Gold - fine.    And if he was to drop down dead on telly, then doing it on the Generation Game set is as good as any place, I reckon.

P K Duck

*phew* I thought this was about another Josie Lawrence solo-show getting commissioned for a moment.

Godzilla Bankrolls

UKTV Gold started running black and white episodes of things like Til Death Us Do Part and Steptoe a couple of years back - what happened?