Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:47:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Clive James on hoaxes (includng Chris Morris)

Started by Hemorrhoid Shark, April 09, 2007, 12:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemorrhoid Shark

Can't seem to find any sign of this having been posted before, but it's a few days old, so apologies if I've missed it.

Clive James mentions Chris Morris briefly in his latest Point of View column:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6532957.stm

QuoteI suppose there's something to be said for debunking authority, and the celebrities who fell for Chris Morris's assurances there was a dangerous new drug called Cake on the loose were proving that we should all be more sceptical.

But I think he was also proving there is streak of the self-congratulating fraud in every hoaxer, and I found it hard to admire him for his supposed coup.

Whatever could be said against Morris, I don't think "self-congratulating" is a phrase I'd use. I'd say he's more of a sardonic observer, highlighting the stupidity of people we hold in high esteem without good reason rather than a back-slapping fraud.

Still, it's an interesting read.

Bean Is A Carrot

This is actually from the radio show A Point of View, which James has presented for the past 6 weeks. I've uploaded it here so you can hear the whole thing in context. I think his arguement about Morris works better when you hear it in context, although I don't entirely agree with it. What Morris is doing is rather different to the other hoaxes James talks about, which are mostly scams.

Paranormalhandy

I stumbled across it while driving down to the chippy on Friday night (oh, my exciting life ... )  I mentioned it here, as best I could: http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=14192&start=0 but I think it got over looked in all the Seinfield-itis.

Labian Quest

QuoteBut I think he was also proving there is streak of the self-congratulating fraud in every hoaxer, and I found it hard to admire him for his supposed coup.

Whatever other highly laudable reasons they may claim to be doing it for, I often get the feeling that hoaxers like Morris really enjoy establishing their own intellectual superiority over other people. Not that I don't find the hoaxes entertaining though.