Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:20:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Best Sitcom farce

Started by bill hicks, March 27, 2004, 10:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill hicks

Britains Best Sitcom is on now and the results so far are absolutely shocking. The British public are utter, utter cretins:

10 - One Foot In The Grave
09 - The Good Life
08 - Open All Hours
07 - Porridge
06 - Yes Minister

The Vicar of fucking Dibley is STILL in there!!! How?

EDIT: Everyone needs to be killed.

05 - Fawlty Towers
04 - Dad's Army

EDIT: FINALLY!!!

03 - The Vicar of Dibley.

But the fucker got over 200,000 votes. I'm moving to Germany tomorrow.

EDIT: Well who woulda thunk of it?

02 - Blackadder
01 - Only Fools and Horses.

And it all looked so promising.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Fuck, obviously "The Vicar of Dibley" is a work of hidden genius.  I think I'll go and buy all the DVDs as I must have missed the things that make it at least the third best British sitcom ever.

I wonder if there's been some internet voting stich-up somewhere?

Bellscab

QuoteEveryone needs to be killed.

I have to agree.

Neil

Some of the advocates could have done with rehearsing their spiel a little better.  Vorderman in particular kept saying the same bloody things over and over again, "Richard Curtis wrote her as women in the priesthood was such an issue...the Vicar loves chocolate and ice-cream and we all do, don't we eh girls?"  Over and over again.  

Iannucci was good, "nowadays we've got shows like "How thick is my arm".

Johnny Vaughan and Jack Dee were very passionate about the sitcoms and made some enjoyable pleas for their shows.  

Nice to see Black Adder ranking so highly, but amazing that One Foot In The Grave was the first one out.

Jaffa The Cake

The British public are idiots.

However, I shouted things against Johnny Vaughan at my TV and they come out Jack Dee's mouth.

VorpalSword

oh dear god. i swore to my family that if OFAH won i would never watch comedy again. what am i going to do? Blackadder and Fawlty Towers seemed sure bets. I just don't fucking understand. My life is over. Stupid fucking general public. Confiscate their TVs now.

Jaffa The Cake

I'd have quite happily put money on Fawlty Towers being 1st, I was almost certain it would win. I wanted Yes Minister to win, but knew it wouldn't get that far.

The only true crime is that people consider "Vicar Of Dibley" to be better than Fawlty Towers, and for that matter the other 6 (or 99) it was above.

Neil

Oh, this thread is just going to fill up with comments about how the British public are idiots.  How fucking tiresome and predictable.  

"If you don't like the same comedy as me you are STUPID!!"

Get over yourselves.  It was obvious from the off that OFAH would win.  (Admittiedly, though, Dad's Army didn't place as high as expected)

Jaffa The Cake

Quote from: "Neil"Get over yourselves.  It was obvious from the off that OFAH would win.
I don't think that's what people are annoyed at.

Rev

No surprises.  I didn't know they'd be going the Pop Idol voting-off route for the finale, but Blackadder and OFAH were always the top two, surely?  Can't argue with either, and while FT is a classic, it's nowhere near as close to people's hearts as those two.  The vote went the wrong way in the end, for me, because knowing when to call it a day is also an essential part of greatness.  Or something.

Neil

Quote from: "Jaffa The Cake"I don't think that's what people are annoyed at.

No, people are annoyed that the "british public" i.e. the type of person who votes in these things, don't share their taste in comedy.  This makes the british public "stupid" and "idiots."   Everyone has different tastes in comedy or music or whatever, it's just when someone has the gall to say "if you don't like the same thing as me you're a FUCKING IDIOT" that I start sighing heavily.  The one exception here would have been Carol Vorderman using the exact same argument to pimp the Vicar Of Dibley.

TotalNightmare

Vicar... THREE?

I mean, theres something fucking wrong with that.

If it had been called, as it should have been called, Britain's 'Favourite' Sitcom then the result would not have phased me so. It would have been a give or take affair.

Sadly, as it was named BEST SITCOM EVER... then it only goes to show what shit we have in the public brain holes...

fuck them

Rats

My eyes nearly came out of their sockets when fawlty towers got voted off. I Was expecting the vicar of dibley to go first and OFAH was a dead cert winner from the beginning but I bet everyone was thinking "just maybe, just maybe".
Johnny Vaughan was great.

VorpalSword

Quote from: "Neil"Oh, this thread is just going to fill up with comments about how the British public are idiots.  How fucking tiresome and predictable.  

"If you don't like the same comedy as me you are STUPID!!"

Get over yourselves.  It was obvious from the off that OFAH would win.  (Admittiedly, though, Dad's Army didn't place as high as expected)

OK, well maybe we can take the piss out of the general public in a way you would prefer?

Limerics perhaps?

Or maybe a flash animation featuring crudely photoshoped crabs dancing around with an imp waving a banner that says "British Public Suck"?

Or I could send you a memo on a zebra?

Your choice

thomasina

Its the format of these things that makes the result so bogus and meaningless.  There is an original poll, then various talking heads get to talk up one of the top 50, then more voting, then a top 10, then more voting again, then 2 out, then more voting.
I think that OFAH came out in first place in the original poll, which makes at least that result consistent.  I don't agree that it's better than maybe 30 out of the top 50, but its popular and the result is what I would have expected.  
The voting format made some really bizarre results lower down, especially in the top 10, but does it really matter?  I mean, whats the point in winning such a poll?  Its an exercise in revenue generating, but there is no actual prize.

fEDORA

Tonight was the result of the same mong brained telephone voting system that gave us a Roly Poly  for a Pop Idol and an eating-disordered self-harmer for a Great Briton. All the outsiders get sympathy votes and the genuine contenders miss out in the early rounds until it's too late                                     And fuck me two Richard Curtis in the top 3. "Love Actually" made me want to eat my own soul.

Rats

I was really shocked by the vicar of dibley, I know it's the housewives favourite but I didn't realise it was so popular. I genuinely thought it would be out first. And fawlty towers, the way you always hear people going on about it, I thought it would beat blackadder.

Rev

Quote from: "fEDORA"Tonight was the result of the same mong brained telephone voting system that gave us a Roly Poly  for a Pop Idol and an eatindg-disordered self-harmer for a Great Briton. All the outsiders get sympathy votes and the genuine contenders miss out in the early rounds until it's too late                                     And fuck me two Richard Curtis in the top 3. "Love Actually" made me want to eat my own soul.

Well, yes, but the fact that he wrote 'Love Actually' twenty years later doesn't make 'Blackadder' rubbish, now does it?

Jaffa The Cake

Quote from: "Neil"the type of person who votes in these things
I think you almost hit the nail on the head there. But I think it should be "The type of person who votes more than once in these things".

fEDORA

Much as I think he's lost it now, Ben Elton gave Blackadder the longevity (via the medium of knob gags) it deserved, Lennon to Curtis' McCartney. But why no clips from the excellent Blackadder Back and Forth

thomasina

Its a poll, it means as much as the Daily Express headline "Diana WAS murdered".  They found out by the same method that we just found out that the vicar of Dibley is better than Yes Prime Minister.

thomasina

Quote from: "fEDORA"Much as I think he's lost it now, Ben Elton gave Blackadder the longevity (via the medium of knob gags) it deserved, Lennon to Curtis' McCartney. But why no clips from the excellent Blackadder Back and Forth

I'm surprised you mention that, i really didn't like it.

Jaffa The Cake

I thought it was sarcasm.

It Was Cancer

I was annoyed that Fawlty Towers and Yes, Minister weren't rated more highly but hey, that's opinion for you.

What *did* really annoy me though was Carol Vorderman. "One for the girls! She likes chocolate and sex! Woo!" That throughly pissed me off.  

Yes, of course, ALL women are braindead chocoholics.  We must ALL vote for the Vicar of Dibley! Of course!

*growls*

@ssmaster

How the hell didn't The Office reach the top 50? Butterflies and Bread better than The Office? PAH!! It was obvious that most of the voters must of been Auntie Beeb middle Englanders.

Hogwash

I don't mind OFAH  winning, It's got the broadest appeal and all that. Although it's had it's fair share of duff episodes, that's been due mostly to it's sheer longevity, caused by its own popularity, caused by it being extremely funny in the first place. And it's made me laugh a load.

I was really surprised Fawlty Towers wasn't second, and annoyed Porridge wasn't higher, but it's only a pointless list that will be forgotten almost straight away.

I think the vicar of dibley got so high because it's a bland mildly amusing family comedy on BBC one, and most of the people who voted won't be the type who visit this message board. When I was a kid I may have voted for it, and when i'm 50 i'll doubtless like similarly middle of the road 'nice' stuff. I dunno, it's nowt to get annoyed about, look at the ones that didn't make the ten in the first place!

Jaffa The Cake

Quote from: "@ssmaster"How the hell didn't The Office reach the top 50?

I think it was because of the time the poll was taken, the office hadn't reached its peak by then. Anyway, isn't more of a mockumentary than a sitcom, or is mockumentary a sub-genre of sitcom? Perhaps it is. I'm going to get some sleep now, I've set 3 alarms because I can't remember which ones adjust for daylight saving automatically.

Darrell

Erm, it did, got to around 30, which is far too high, especially when you've got Whoops Apocalypse languishing at the bottom. Cue endless desperate excusing from Alison Graham, Jonathan Ross etc.

@ssmaster

Quote from: "Darrell"

Erm, it did, got to around 30, which is far too high, especially when you've got Whoops Apocalypse languishing at the bottom. Cue endless desperate excusing from Alison Graham, Jonathan Ross etc.

Ahh it got to 25 (far too low) I must of been having a shit when that result came in.

@ssmaster

Here are the results from 100 to 51 just in case you wanted to know.

51 Up Pompeii
52 Ever Decreasing Circles
53 On the Buses
54 Coupling
55 George and Mildred
56 A Fine Romance
57 Citizen Smith
58 Black Books
59 The Liver Birds
60 Two Pints of Lager and...
61 The New Statesman
62 Sykes