Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:13:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Best Sitcom farce

Started by bill hicks, March 27, 2004, 10:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bellscab

Iannucci:
I'm a suicide-bomber... get me into there
The audience weren't too sure about that one :)

By the way:
Quotethe British public are idiots.
Even the British public know that.

Pinball

Quote from: "Tokyo Sexwhale"Fuck, obviously "The Vicar of Dibley" is a work of hidden genius.  I think I'll go and buy all the DVDs as I must have missed the things that make it at least the third best British sitcom ever.

I wonder if there's been some internet voting stich-up somewhere?
Did it get the female vote perhaps? None of the others has a female lead. It's also recent/current, unlike many of the others. More cynically, it's selling well in the US...

fEDORA

QuoteI thought it was sarcasm

Guilty

kakamuffin

Quote from: "Bellscab"Iannucci:
I'm a suicide-bomber... get me into there
The audience weren't too sure about that one :)

By the way:
Quotethe British public are idiots.
Even the British public know that.

"It's even funnier than The Passion Of The Christ"

Armando should read the news.

Everyday.

Purple Tentacle

Reggie Perrin being at number 35 was an atrocity.

Unbe-fucking-lievable.  If you want to do "dark" comedy (and I'm looking at YOU, Julia Davies, you Jam-scrumping whore) then look to Reggie Perrin.... no dead babies, no breast cancer, no hilarious multiple-scerosis gags, just an exercise in repetition depicting a slow, nervous breakdown. Crafted. Honed.

BASTARDS!!!!!

Smarmageddon It!

Dickinson kept on and on like a stuck record (but then, did he really have to sell what was, let's face it, a forgone conclusion?).
Personally, I'm cynical about the whole thing. Seemed like 'BBC masturbating in front of mirror' type propaganda (WHOLE Top 10 - BBC programmes?!? Strange.).
Arsewank, mate.

TotalNightmare

IGNORE THIS SHOW...

it is not the best sitcom ever poll, it was the...

"Mass public vote on what sitcom they remember, have watched recently or have had forced down their face by the bbc" poll...

The fact that the Office was so low down wasnt due to the fact that it was crapper than the Vicar of Dibley, but because more people watched it than the office. Like Spaced or Red Dwarf or Alan Partridge are all time classic sitcoms but wasnt going to get the mass vote due to the fact that is audience is die hard fans (no...not the film), cult appeal or a loyal bbc2 following...

If it had been a series of shows written by experts, academics etc, all having a chat and then have the public vote on their choice of top ten, then fine... fair enough.

OFAH still may have won, but i bet your ass Vicar wouldnt have wound up in the top ten...

lets ALL just put this sorry mess behind us before the beeb roll out TOP 100 comedy moment in OFAH and Fawlty Towers Poll as voted for by the plebs...

and that includes us.

GoochDogHigh5s

Hmm, Interesting that the top 10 was only BBC shows

Doctor Stamen

Does any of this actually mean anything?  So a bunch of twats (we've agreed that about 80-90% of the British public are cunts, right?) voted for The Vicar of Dibley.  I find it quite funny that some stupid bitch probably bought Vorderman's sad argument after necking a few bottles of Lambrini last night and decide to waste a load of precious text messages on it.  Just doin' it for the girls, Carol.

OFAH was always going to win, nobody else stood a chance - even with that twat Dickinson going on about it.  And if you go by the first few series (before they changed it to hour-long episodes) it's probably the right decision.  I'd have gone for Mr Don and Mr George myself, but I'm just glad Dibley didn't win due to Vorderman's fucking ridiculous argument.  Who cares though, they'll probably have another poll on ITV in two years and Hardware will win it.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Quote from: "GoochDogHigh5s"Hmm, Interesting that the top 10 was only BBC shows

Indeed, although to be fair, what non-BBC sitcom should be in the Top 10?  Father Ted and Rising Damp maybe?

Steptoe and Son was the most criminal omission in my view, and I'm astounded that it didn't feature more highly.  After all, it was both popular with the public and ALSO well-written, well-acted, had human stories, great scripts and great characters, and was FUNNY.  

Oh, and it had the best theme tune too.

Perhaps it was just too old, mainly in black and white and half of the episodes were wiped means that few appreciate it anymore.

Lt Plonker

I fucking forgot all about this. What type of format was this show in? Live audience? Was it like the Best Britons final?

Bollocks. I wished I'd seen this for Iannucci alone.

Purple Tentacle

Hardware is actually pretty funny.

There. I said it.

Doctor Stamen

You had Jonathan Ross and the ten celebrities sat in front of an audience, and each of them had to argue the case for why 'their' comedy was the bestest.  In between there were clips, loads and loads of clips.  In some cases, they even showed the same clip three or four times.  Why not just set aside a channel on Sky Digital just showing a fucking loop of him falling through the bar?

During the course of the show, they kicked out the shows with the lowest number of votes, and the celeb representing that show was forced to go and sit in a different area to the rest.  The only redeeming features were Johnny Vaughan and Jack Dee arguing, Armando saying "How thick is my arm?" and something Jonathan Ross said about Ulrika Jonsson, which i've now forgotten.

Darrell

The highlight was Armando's impassioned 'we can't let this happen' cry of "Don't vote for The Vicar of Dibley, it's a wasted vote, it's not as funny as Father Ted or The Passion of the Christ."

The rest was largely tedious balls.

kakamuffin

I don't honestly like "Yes, Minister", but i was definitely pulling for it to win simply because Armando was the funniest thing about the show.

The crowd reaction to most of the things he said showed how un-evolved the british public are.

The same people that think Morris is evil.

OFAH was a worthy winner though.

Jaffa The Cake

I was quite impressed when Ross said something that was FUNNY.

QuoteWhere would a comedy be without great characters? Well, probably ITV
Or something along those lines.

kakamuffin

Quote from: "Jaffa The Cake"I was quite impressed when Ross said something that was FUNNY.

QuoteWhere would a comedy be without great characters? Well, probably ITV
Or something along those lines.

I like Ross, he has unique charm about him.

Darrell

ITV blah blah never made a good sitcom blah blah blah.

I hate Ross. He's a pointless moron.

Bilko

Johnny Vaughan is a twat.

What I hate about the BBC in doing these type of shows (The greatest Britain, the big read) is the way they try to set the whole series of programmes up and try to make us only like one of the top ten, and we must hate the other nine. Each celeb particularly Cunty Vaughan slags off the other programmes, 'A drama about a prison tells me more about human life than a hotel in torquay ever could'. Piss off, do they and the BBC know that we are capable of having affection for more than one thing at the same time.

Jaffa The Cake

Quote from: "Peter Hammill"Johnny Vaughan is a twat.
When he was on, I started shouting "cunt" uncontrollably at the TV. No one was there to hear me, I wasn't stating an opinion, I just couldn't help cursing this smarmy git.

Thank god Jack Dee was getting as annoyed as me.

Godzilla Bankrolls

The Vicar Of Dibley is funnier than The Office. That bloke from Uncle Peter's Band saying "No no no no no no no no, yes" is actually amusing, unlike Dawn and Tim calling Gareth gay.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Well I don't hate either of them. I think despite the amount of crap Vaughan has done he is very likeable and his contributions to last night weren't that bad - you could see his enthusiasm and he genuinely loverd his show. As for Ross, I think, again, despite the large amount of shit unfunny jokes he makes there are plenty of funny things which you can't help but laugh at. Wasn't there a thread about Ross a while ago in which quite a few people admitted to liking him?

Goldentony

Quote from: "@ssmaster"
91 Early Doors

what the pissing christ is that doing in the top 100

fucking hell

GoochDogHigh5s

Indeed, although to be fair, what non-BBC sitcom should be in the Top 10?  Father Ted and Rising Damp maybe?
Well there are two!
Phoenix nights and the Peter Kay show are 2 more

Darrell

Quote from: "GoochDogHigh5s"Phoenix nights and the Peter Kay show are 2 more

That Peter Kay Thing isn't a sitcom. Phoenix Nights, good as it can be, isn't top ten material.

GoochDogHigh5s

Quote from: "Darrell"

That Peter Kay Thing isn't a sitcom. Phoenix Nights, good as it can be, isn't top ten material.
Fair points but Father Ted and Rising Damp?

Silver SurferGhost

Rising Damp isn't actually a great sitcom, but it has a marvelous central character magnificently performed
by a fine character actor, so I can see the logic in it's poor showing.

I can't really add much to what's been said already, but don't think that's going to stop me as I'm in a CC mood today.

It was laughably easy to tell which Celebrity Champion had been given a script to stick to,
and how amazed Vorderman herself was at getting as far as she did,
so much so that she got looped on the word "chocolate".
Well at least she didn't say "Girl Power", eh.
Still less said about Dibley, which wouldn't even make my personal top 50, the better.

One Foot and Porridge were sinfully low on the list, Dad's Army was about right I thought.
The Thin Blue Line? That high up? Fuck off.
If it had been a case of voting for characters rather than shows then I hope Rigsby and Hancock
would've got better results than they got here.
I don't really like Fawlty Towers anymore (but I still appreciate the skill with which it's executed before you all pounce)
probably more a case of familiarity and what it breeds, and maybe that was  the case for a lot of the voters too.
I was (pleasantly) surprised Blackadder got as high as it did, but I do wonder how much of it was off the back
of it having anything to do with that nice Richard Curtis who does those nice popular rom-coms.
Ditto Dibley's sudden massive popularity.

OFAH won despite David Dickinson, and while I wasn't amazed I don't think it really did deserve it.
[fast becoming a cliche=] If they'd stopped making it five years ago [/fast becoming a cliche]
then yes, all power to it, well deserved.
But they didn't, did they.

I think Dee and Vaughn should have a fight to the death, because we all know who'd win,
and if  Victor Lewis Smith can take a kicking from Dee and if there's a God in heaven...etc
Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"Well I don't hate either of them (Ross or Vaughn).
I like Wossy, there I've said it. Again.
*Vaughny* though, is like a slightly more acceptable Chris Evans, a smug berk you love to hate
but secretly find rather interesting.

They should have given Armando an award just for turning up.

And Wossy nicked one of my crap jokes.

GoochDogHigh5s

Quote from: "Silver SurferGhost"Rising Damp isn't actually a great sitcom, but it has a marvelous central character magnificently performed
by a fine character actor, so I can see the logic in it's poor showing.
Ok, it was a bit corny, and Eric Chapple was not the best writer, but it was not just  Rigsby was it? Don Warrington and Frances De La Tour  were quality AND Damp was 100 times better than Dibley

, Dad's Army was about right I thought.

Quality sitcom, that HAS dated and was full of mistakes, thanks to a low budget, but like later shows like the Fast Show and Little Britain full of catchphrases
If it had been a case of voting for characters rather than shows then I hope Rigsby and Hancock would've got better results than they got here.
Hancock was a genius

I don't really like Fawlty Towers anymore (but I still appreciate the skill with which it's executed before you all pounce)
probably more a case of familiarity and what it breeds, and maybe that was  the case for a lot of the voters too.
Stil the benchmark, no matter how many times you have seen it!!

Silver SurferGhost

Quote from: "GoochDogHigh5s"
Quote from: "Silver SurferGhost"Rising Damp
...it was not just Rigsby was it? Don Warrington and Frances De La Tour  were quality AND Damp was 100 times better than Dibley
I see your point, they were good and half of Rigsby's character was his pursuit of Miss Jones,
but Rigsby was THE centre of that show, and as Chappell admitted virtually Rossiter's creation.
No argument about Dibley though, Rising Damp pisses on it from a great height.
QuoteI don't really like Fawlty Towers anymore....
Stil the benchmark, no matter how many times you have seen it!!
For us comedy snobs maybe, but we're talking about The Great British Public in this case,
and a fair proportion of them will be the sort of folk who vote for Big Brother or Pop Idol.
This and The Big Read are essentially the same thing, no matter how much cultural cachet the BBC
are trying to invest in them (and it's by no means certain they're even trying).

Welcome, by the way.

EDIT: For minor error of syntax that some may consider a hanging offence.
No not that one I usually do, that's a pretentious affectation, not an error

I'm surprised, reading through this thread, that the vicar of dibley is held in such low regard. I think it's excellent. Infact the only show in that top ten I never really liked was the good life.