Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:20:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Best Sitcom farce

Started by bill hicks, March 27, 2004, 10:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rats

I don't think I can respect you anymore after hearing that. It's like learning that you eat your own shit.
Edit: You don't eat your own shit, do you?

Quote from: "Rats"
Edit: You don't eat your own shit, do you?

No. But if you PM me your address I'll save up all the bits with lumps of pie in and send them to you, chubbachub.

Rats

Hehe, brilliant, chubbachubs, like the lollies. bits of pie, oh mercy. If you're gonna do fatty gags, do them properly. Right mob?

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Office-mania more or less spanned the whole of 2002/03, arguably peaking (and remaining constant) at around the time the poll was taken. So claiming 'it's low in the list because people voted before the Xmas specials went out' is bollocks.

gazzyk1ns

I don't know what to say, regarding the VIcar Of Dibley. I get massively offended when people say "It's a bit funny, sometimes, maybe..." So to think poeple can consider it the third best farce of all time? I have no words to describe my feelings.

I can see how people find things not to my/our taste funny in that "a means to an end" kind of way, like watching Banzai or Bo Selecta with a load of friends when you're a bit drunk... but for people to soberly vote Vicar/Dibley the 3rd best farce of all time? I can't understand it at all, although I would probably say it's due to knee-jerk immediacy which the modern media encourages as opposed to people's taste or love for sitcoms; i.e. "what's the best of all time?... Er, that one, bosh, sorted. Next!".

Darrell

The poll was Britain's Best Sitcom, the 'farce' part of the thread title was describing the actual ceremony.

gazzyk1ns

You see it's obvious now you say it...

Hehe ta. I stand by my Vicar... comments though, I honestly think it's completely appalling... there are lots of instances of similar things, where some people think the production is "genius" and I hate it with a passion... "Dinnerladies" springs to mind.

european son

some stuff i read on another, (music, non-comedy) board i thought i'd post here to rile you lot.

Quote from: "MissRenton"Even though I wanted Vicar of Dibley to win, I cant believe it beat Dads Army and Porridge! Glad Only Fools won. Not that it had anything to with the orange twat defending it.

Quote from: "MissRenton"Dawn French is one of the funniest women in the world, ever. Maybe thats not the best thing she's done but it was the only dominant female thing in the top 10.

I have changed my mind though, Fawlty Towers should have won. Red Dwarf, Bottom & The Young Ones should have been further up the list, too.

Quote from: "MissRenton"thats very true. the male comedies are always much funnier. which is probably why i was batting for vicar of dibley-it was the only one with a main female character.

sore bottom mum

I'm so riled, I can't eat.... or sit down without a cushion.

That bloody Miss Renton

hands cold, liver warm

is the Vicar of Dibley the 3rd best sitcom of all time? Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes...........no

voderman's defence of the show was dismal. This is a woman who regularly laughs at Richard Whiteley's jokes, so why her opinion of comedy was sought I do not know. David Dickinson was just as bad.

Jonathon Ross: Why is only fools and horses loved by so many?
Tango Man: Because its been around for 20 years and everyone loves del boy. He keeps on trying and never gives up. And he loves his family, sure they argue but there's always love. Yes thats right, I'm a complete dickhead. (repeated everytime he opened his orange sucking gob)

I think Johnny Vaughan was more of a div than usual because he was so riled by the voder-man/tango-man axis

I had to stop watching once Ianucci departed.

The reason why One Foot in the Grave did so badly was the inept performance by Roland Rivlon. Why did he bother turning up?

Overall, it was one of the most frustrating programs I've ever watched

Almost Yearly

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"I stand by my Vicar Of Dibley comments though, I honestly think it's completely appalling... there are lots of instances of similar things, where some people think the production is "genius" and I hate it with a passion... "Dinnerladies" springs to mind.
My word, a show firmly rooted in the feminine, and you hate it with a passion? Gerroff.

Quote from: "It Was Cancer"Yes, of course, ALL women are braindead chocoholics.  We must ALL vote for the Vicar of Dibley! Of course!

*growls*
Well you ALL did, evidently. Like when Diana became the second Greatest Briton of all time.

I seem to remember Only Fools And Horses really flying in maybe the third season or so. Really funny, sexily-woven plots it had. In fact come to think of it, they started to lose it as soon as Racquel and Cassandra arrived didn't they? Yoko syndrome, yet again. Aw fuckitt, sign me up for the misogynists dance, gazzy.

Silver SurferGhost

Quotesign me up for the misogynists dance, gazzy.
Ten to one there'll be an argument over who's going to lead.
"You be the lady", "No, YOU be the lady" *

* Just in fucking case, for the love of God

Almost Yearly

Quote from: "Silver SurferGhost"* Just in fucking case, for the love of God
No need for that, duckie.

Silver SurferGhost

Well you know how sensitive folk round here are lately....

I'm keeping that picture, oh yes.

MojoJojo

Vicar of Dibley is somewhat shocking, yes. I  guess it just got the female vote. I'm not being dismissive, but it's got the only good (i.e. central, likeable, and funny)  female characters of any of the top ten. In fact I can't think of any other half decent British sitcom that isn't male dominated. That and it's very much in the easy viewing category.

Fuck it, I'm just glad Last of the Summer WIne didn't make the list.

NobodyGetsOutAlive

things I have to say:

Iannucci was, as you have all said, great on tha show, and proof if proof be needed that he's better than Morris. "How thick is your arm" was just brilliant.

The Big-Brother-style live voting thing was fucking stupid and even though as far as polls go it was a sham from the start, this certainly didn't help. Who isn't to say that One foot in the Grave wouldn't have gotten more votes by the itme the lines had closed than, The Vicar of Dibley for example? Fucking stupid.

Vaughan, Dee and Iannucci were the only good ones on it to be honest, the former had a passion for his show that seemed genuine, which I thought was nice. And Vorderman is a supid cow.

And if Friday night's interview with Simon Pegg wasn't enough proof, this poll showed Ross up to be a complete and utter cock.

Er..thats it. Just needed to unburden myself.

Rats

Quoteit was the only dominant female thing in the top 10.

Ha, that's how fucking Thatcher got in. The only dominant female thing? Christ, they must have been offering free iron-on opinions in Bella.

Quoteproof if proof be needed that he's better than Morris

don't be silly, Morris would have made a bit more of an effort than writing down two wacky program titles and "dibley, not as funny as passion of christ" on the back of a packet of cigarettes in the taxi on the way there. but then he wouldn't turn up because he's so bloody hardcore.

Jimmy

Quote from: "MissRenton"thats very true. the male comedies are always much funnier. which is probably why i was batting for vicar of dibley-it was the only one with a main female character.
[/quote]

If you think the male comedies are FUNNIER then vote for them you stupid cunt.

Morrisfan82

Look on the bright side, the whole affair was a sparkling victory for both BBC Worldwide and the the Beeb's Phonevote-based Revenue Dept.

I personally can't wait to phone-in for next week's Test The Nation At HATS!

Edit: BTW, I wonder what the original order of the top ten was, y'know, before they cunningly got everyone to vote for it again...

Jemble Fred

I spent £3 on Blackadder and the same amount on Yes Minister.

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE BE MY FRIEND SO I CAN STOP DOING THINGS LIKE THIS?

We can go out together and kill the Vorderman. And Paul Mayhew-Archer.

Macerate and Petrify

I never really expected it to win, but i'm still disappointed Yes Minister didn't rank higher. It's the only one on the list (that i've seen) that I can just pick a random episode, even if i've seen it a hundred times before, and sit back and enjoy it. Through five series and one special I don't think there is one episode I didn't enjoy.

Something like Vicar of Dibley or Only Fools and Horses just starts to irritate me after a while, but theres something about Yes Minister that makes it all fit together perfectly. Blackadder came close to managing this, but perhaps loses a bit through the changed settings in each series, not that I would have it any other way.

Goldentony

only 300,000 people voted for OFAH to win so its not like many folk gave a toss

ApexJazz

Hot Metal at 95? Ouch!  
Hard to take this thingy seriously when Hancock's Half Hour didn't make the top ten and Open All Hours did (certainly not a bad show, just...you know). Any truth to the rumour that there was devious inner beeb politicing to get dibley vicar on the list instead of father ted? I guess out of that list I would pick Porridge, as it has one of the great performances of television....and Ronnie Barker isn't so bad in it either.

Somebody should hijack this thread to talk about the really good british sitcoms that didn't make the list...like decreasing circles, perrin, hancock, don and george, etc. etc.   I won't, I'm much too polite.

bill hicks

Quote from: "ApexJazz"Hot Metal at 95? Ouch!  
Hard to take this thingy seriously when Hancock's Half Hour didn't make the top ten and Open All Hours did (certainly not a bad show, just...you know). Any truth to the rumour that there was devious inner beeb politicing to get dibley vicar on the list instead of father ted? I guess out of that list I would pick Porridge, as it has one of the great performances of television....and Ronnie Barker isn't so bad in it either.

Somebody should hijack this thread to talk about the really good british sitcoms that didn't make the list...like decreasing circles, perrin, hancock, don and george, etc. etc.   I won't, I'm much too polite.

Ah, another Porridge fan. I went out and bought all three series DVDs on offer in HMV a few weeks back and it really is an exceptional piece of work. The first episode is just incredible and there isn't a weak one among the 19 that were made.

Series three really was a leap forward for the show too. Much more expanse (introducing Harry Grout and having the two part Judge episodes) and really ramping up the socio-political comments.

Vaughn took a slagging earlier, but he was absolutely spot on when he said that this is a maginificent allegorical comedy series.

And it has the best final shot in any sitcom.