Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,475
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:49:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The most beautiful thing you have ever experienced

Started by Sam, April 15, 2007, 08:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam

It can be a film, a song, a poem, a novel, an experience, a view or vista - anything.

For me it's a segment of film: the first 8 or 9 minutes or so of The Thin Red Line by Terrence Malick. (From the opening of the credits to when the ship arrives).

It's serene and transcendental. So many beautiful marriages of image and sound. The swelling strains of In Paradisum from Faure's Requiem as we see a shot looking up at children swimming from below. The young girl putting her hand on her mother as we hear her heart beat and then hugging her, cutting away to a blue sky. The soft murmuring of the Melanesian children, Hans Zimmer's gorgeous string music as we see Witt's fellow soldier holding parrots on his arm. The cut from the Melanesian woman to the tree and the moving jump cut of her laughing.

It's just so beautiful. I am moved to tears every time I see it.

I can even pinpoint the precise moment that is the most beautiful of the whole bit, and therefore the single most beautiful moment of anything ever for me - the aforementioned shots of the children swimming underwater to Faure's Requiem. It's the way the music swells with a crescendo on a beautiful chord. The film has been gradually building up to that point, beautiful image on top of beautiful image until you get that one perfect marriage of image and music. It makes the hairs on the back of my end stand up, gives me shivers and can even make me cry.

I know I've raved about Malick before on these boards, to mostly deaf ears, but I urge anyone who appreciates beautiful images and music to watch this piece of film.

I know this is somewhat of an absurd thread and it will be difficult for people to choose something. But it's not so much the choice but the reason you chose it and your passion for it. Rather than make this a dull 'things' thread, let's invest it with a bit of passion and enthusiasm.

Borboski

Haha, Portillo losing his seat at Parliament to Quigley, superb.  Great quote in the rather good Mark Steel book, quoting the end of Blade Runner - "I've seen my wife give birth to two kids... I've seen the etc.... But nothing, nothing compared to...!".

This weekend me and two friends were driving in his BMW with the windows down all singing to "I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues".  I rarely key into that sort of group lad-fun, but really, it was a magificent moment.

I can't agree enough about the Thin Red Line.

Artemis

I know what you mean about the start of TTRL - it's a beautiful few minutes of the power of movies. Shame about the rest of the film.

Are we restricted to movies, books, etc.?

Presuming we're not.... there was a time back in 2003/2004 when I found myself the primary caregiver to a little three year old boy trapped in the middle of a messy marriage implosion. The bond that we shared between us as he learnt to trust someone new and different (this happened in America) and I learnt to see the world through his eyes to try and experience what he was and meet him where he was at, was the most beautiful thing I've experienced. The peak of this was overlooking the beach at Santa Monica, and out into Pacific ocean, and explaining to this boy at the first point in his life I felt he was able to comprehend it, the basics of what we saw - the sea, the sand etc. - It was an awesome, humbling and magical moment I will never forget.

mrpants

This morning I woke up aching for a poo.  I went to the bathroom, sat down and proceeded to experience something I can only describe as magical.  As my bowels evacuated last night's Mighty Meaty stuffed crust pizza, I was overcome with feelings of serenity, inner peace and a joyous optimisim wondering what the rest of the day will bring.  It was so beautiful that I sat there sobbing for a full ten minutes.

Actually, The Thin Red Line is a pretty good film.

Emma Raducanu

Istanbul 2005, Champions League Final - Dudek saving Shevchenko's penalty. It was so wonferful even my fingers felt like they were having an orgasm, which is strange I know, but it was elation like nothing ever, before or since. Sorry I couldn't be more poetic.

butnut

Specifically the held B above the F major chord in the 13th and 14th bars of that page.

A Passing Turk Slipper

butnut

dr beat

QuoteIstanbul 2005, Champions League Final - Dudek saving Shevchenko's penalty. It was so wonferful even my fingers felt like they were having an orgasm, which is strange I know, but it was elation like nothing ever, before or since. Sorry I couldn't be more poetic.

Seconded.  I recall sitting through the extra time period, thinking 'well, we're probably going to lose this eventually, but it won't matter as at least we gave em a game in the end' .  I  still managed to convince myself we'd lose it even when Milan missed the first two penalties...when Dudek saved that last penalty I laughed, partly out of disbelief...and then I cried (I was pissed tho)

Its funny, that game convinced a lot of my (previously) football-sceptic friends that  the game was much, much more than 'some blokes kicking a ball around'.

butnut

Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"Got an mp3 of that you can stick up butnut?

Try this. That page stars just about at 2 minutes into that track, and the high B is at 2'33"

Ideally, you'll have listened to the 3 1/2 hours of music up to this point to really get the moment.

Xander

Regina Spektor's "Braille" from the album 11:11, or Seth Lakeman's songs "Kitty Jay" and "Lady of the Sea". They all move me incredibly.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Quote from: "butnut"
Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"Got an mp3 of that you can stick up butnut?

Try this. That page stars just about at 2 minutes into that track, and the high B is at 2'33"

Ideally, you'll have listened to the 3 1/2 hours of music up to this point to really get the moment.
Cool, thanks butnut.

Bigflood

Quote from: "dr beat"
QuoteIstanbul 2005, Champions League Final - Dudek saving Shevchenko's penalty. It was so wonferful even my fingers felt like they were having an orgasm, which is strange I know, but it was elation like nothing ever, before or since. Sorry I couldn't be more poetic.

Seconded.  I recall sitting through the extra time period, thinking 'well, we're probably going to lose this eventually, but it won't matter as at least we gave em a game in the end' .  I  still managed to convince myself we'd lose it even when Milan missed the first two penalties...when Dudek saved that last penalty I laughed, partly out of disbelief...and then I cried (I was pissed tho)

Its funny, that game convinced a lot of my (previously) football-sceptic friends that  the game was much, much more than 'some blokes kicking a ball around'.

The bit that got me most wasn't the penalties, though I was certainly all tingly when the Dude saved.  My magic moment was when Shevchenko blasted that rebound at goal and Dudek just put his hands out.  The penalties were unbearably tense of course, but in that moment I went from the worst feeling in the world, so sure that was it all over, to really believing that it just had to be our night.  It really is one of those moments you wish you could erase from your memory and live all over again.

The Duck Man

Quote from: "Artemis"I know what you mean about the start of TTRL - it's a beautiful few minutes of the power of movies. Shame about the rest of the film.
Now, now, now. What's wrong with the rest of the film?!

Anyway, to keep vaguely on topic. I can't think of anything specific really. But for the time being, seeing as football does bring me the most glorious moments of bliss, I shall choose Nicky Wright scoring the best goal Wembley's ever seen.

Gah, can't find a picture!

duckorange

1. Lying in a field in Lincolnshire under a full moon with a couple of mates, not a cloud in the sky, perfect peace, each in our own little reverie. The doubleplus good perfect moment in my life, ruined only by Gary letting rip with a terrifying booze-fuelled fart.

2. May 26th 1989, about 9.51pm, Michael Thomas scoring Arsenal's second goal against Liverpool. That was quite good an' all.

danielsan

Quote from: "Bigflood"
Quote from: "dr beat"

The bit that got me most wasn't the penalties, though I was certainly all tingly when the Dude saved.  My magic moment was when Shevchenko blasted that rebound at goal and Dudek just put his hands out.  The penalties were unbearably tense of course, but in that moment I went from the worst feeling in the world, so sure that was it all over, to really believing that it just had to be our night.  It really is one of those moments you wish you could erase from your memory and live all over again.

I'll vote again for Champions league final, but the best bit for me was just before the second half started and just as the teams were coming out, we all started singing "You'll Never Walk Alone". It was really weird cos the Italians were so surprised at us singing so loudly at 3 - 0 down that they all shut up, and at that point I started to believe we might win. Well, maybe score anyway!

TC Raymond

Little Hoover

I once had a really good wank. and I mean really good.

Sorry, I know that's not funny or anything, but for some reason I kept getting some strange urge to post it, so I've given in and posted it.

niat

Quote from: "[banned troll"](picture)

That's all.

So, have you "experienced" her, then?

TC Raymond

Quote from: "niat"
Quote from: "[banned troll"](picture)

That's all.

So, have you "experienced" her, then?

Not in the biblical sense, but yes, in a live situation three times.

Captain Crunch

Suttonpubcrawl

I believe it's Susanna Hoffs of the Bangles. Not because I recognised her or anything, I just right clicked on the image to find out the file name.

If we're going to start posting images of things we consider beautiful, I'll post this:

Sam

How about people mention the happiest you've ever been with friends?

My story, not surprisingly, involves drugs.

I'd collected three friends together; I was best friends with all of them but none of them had met each other as they were all from different spheres of my life. We had a large amount of ganja on us and one of my mates had the good fortune of having a sheesha, which as anyone who has used one can attest, is rather a splenid piece of drug-taking equipment. We burned about an eighth of weed on it with some strawberry flavoured tobacco. In addition we passed round large joints.

The hit from a sheehsa is rather nice; by the time the smoke has passed down the tube it hits your lungs cold and all you can taste is the flavoured tobacco. So you don't quite realise how stoned you are getting until you're already wasted. It helps to have joints to smoke as well so you can get a proper tasting hit.

Anyway, we listened to wonderful music and bonded over the sheesha. Despite none of my three mates knowing each other there was an instant rapport and we all got along splendidly. Despite smoking an absurd amount, rather than being strung out we were all massively chilled. It was a beautiful moment.

Not only the best drugs experience I've had but one of the best experiences of any kind.