Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:00:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Childhood Medicine

Started by Blumf, April 16, 2007, 01:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

For some unknown reason I've just remembered the taste of some medicine I had as a child, must have been cough syrup, thick, sickly-sweet with a slight tang to it.

That lead me onto some other ones, there was a yellow coloured one with a rather nice banana flavour to it and a horrible thick translucent red/brown coloured one that tasted disgusting, fortunately in a way I can't properly remember. Not a clue what they were for.

Share with us your vague memories of ingesting pharmaceuticals as a child and, perhaps, any interesting concoctions the doctor has given you more recently.

Cack Hen

I really miss the liquid penicillin I had as a kid. They don't seem to give it out much anymore, but it smells lovely.

Morrisfan82

Ahh, medicinal milkshakes, the flavour that never leaves you.

What I'd quite like to know is why the little plastic spoons you got with medicines A) had little or no handle, increasing the likelihood of spillage, and B) seemed to be specially-shaped to not fit your mouth, resulting in half the spoonful ending up down your chin.

mothman

My daughter has had banana-flavoured amoxycillin suspension a few times.

SetToStun

Kepler's Malt Yeast Extract. The finest preventive medicine known to man or beast, and the best-tasting by a mile.

mothman

So, Marmite, in other words.

SOTS

Quote from: "Banana Woofwoof"Calpol.  Yum.

Absolutely.

buttgammon

kidsick5000

Whatever that bright pink medicine was that some kids brought to school.
Dont know what it was as I never had  the right illness :(

SetToStun

Quote from: "mothman"So, Marmite, in other words.

Sort of, only slightly sweet tasting. It's odd but lovely. Don't know if you can still get it or an equivalent, but if you can, you should give it a try...

Cupid Stunt

My mum always gave us Buttercup Syrup.  It tasted sweetly yummy and gave off a nice gentle heat on the way down.  Reassuringly still around.

Having hot orange squash as well, which if made with too much squash would catch at the back of your throat and somehow make you MORE thirsty.  

At my school if you had a sore throat (which 40% of kids did at any one time) they would give you these disgusting white lozenges which tasted like soap powder.  This was in the days before soap powder came in tablet form (I know!!! HOW DID WE LIVE???), so it definitely wasn't Persil, just tasted like it.  I think they deliberately got in the most disgusting ones you could buy, just to discourage kids from whinging about their sore throats all the time.

buttgammon

I'm glad I've got a sore throat at home and not at your old school! Nothing would stop me whinging about it, though.

Ow! It's so sore! And I read something on another website where some guy said his cousin complained of a sore throat and then collapsed and died a few days later. What do you all reckon I should do with my last week of life?

Captain Crunch

The man who invented Vaseline ate a spoonful of it every day and he lived to be 96.  Try that.

sparklewhore

There was always a bottle of medicine in our fridge as a kid that would seperate into white and brown sections.  I'm sure it was called 'kaline and..' something that sounded a bit like morphine but surely wasn't.

Lady Beaner

Mmmm Calpol and the vanilla-y goodness of Amoxycillilililililinnnnnn...

Beagle 2

Getting old enough to graduate from pink to yellow calpol was rubbish, it were nowhere near as tasty.

Surely Calpol's in line for an ironic disgustingly sickly studenty shots drink spinoff?

gazzyk1ns

I always laugh whenever I see Calpol in shops these days - because the idea of giving children something loaded with sugar and artificial colouring is obviously now completely horrific to most parents, the boxes have to basically say

QuoteCALPOL

Yeah, don't worry, it's not Calpol, it's got artificial sweetener and no E-numbers in it, and you can have this ibuprofen version if you want, BUT crucially the bottle does still say Calpol on it, you know you can trust us, stop reading and spoon this into your kids now.

on them.

boki

Quote from: "Captain Crunch"The man who invented Vaseline ate a spoonful of it every day and he lived to be 96.  Try that.

Was he 95 when he invented it?

Artemis

Quote from: "buttgammon"Mmm Dimitane!
Could that be what I liked, I wonder. There was this one medicine that was so delicious, I used to fake symptoms just to have a spoonful. I always thought it was called 'Dinnertap' but what a ridiculous name for a medicine that would be. God it was nice, though. The only nice tasting medicine, ever.

buttgammon

I was addicted to it at the age of about 4 and had to be carefully weaned off it. It's probably because my doctor prescribed it for absolutely everything. I loved that brown, sticky stuff!

mothman

You lot, you don't know you're born. In my day, all pills were consumed roughly ground-up into a teaspoon of jam. Horrible, especially since my parents always used the bear minimum of jam. Infant suspensions? Luxury!

buttgammon

That's nothing! I used to have to take 17 double-sized Prozac capsules in one go without water every day from the age of five months before I went to the pit to work for 23 hours a day and came home to be murdered 182 times by Dr. Crippen.

mothman

You had it easy! I were aborted in the second trimester. . .

buttgammon

I was never even conceived! I type this from my own dad's testicles, as a sperm.

mothman

I was nearly a glint in the milkman's eye, but he had a headache that morning.

buttgammon

I don't exist - I'm just a theoretical philosophical concept which doesn't exist in reality. I exist only in your imagination.

mothman

Imagination? Luxury! How can a small lump of protomatter in the nascent universe imagine anything?

buttgammon

I'm not even that. I am merely a particle - you can imagine it.