Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:47:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

When are you happiest?

Started by Emma Raducanu, April 17, 2007, 05:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emma Raducanu

Down the pub with friends? Doing voluntary work? In bed? Dining out? At the fight club?

I find I'm happiest after a long, long, long walk in the middle of the countryside, have in endured bad weather, minor injuries, detours and arguements and at last I get to sit down infront of a log fire and gorge on thick, juicy venison and wash it down with some non-specific.

Sitting down to eat good food always makes me happy, of course and so does a log fire but my appreciation of these is tenfold after an exhausting walk, which in return becomes something of a joy because of the reinforcing comfort that comes afterwards. It's like massaging the soul. What?

Artemis

I'm quite happy in my new apartment. It's the first time I've lived by myself and probably the only time I'll be able to live in a city centre for the time being, and it only lasts until August, but right now, it's a happy home.

El Unicornio, mang

After watching a really good film or when making/playing music

Emma Raducanu

Making music would probably be something that'd make me extremely happy but alas I'm no good at it! Probably why Robbie Williams is so misserable.

Small Man Big Horse

In a quiet cinema, with a big tub of Haagendaaz, watching a film that I'd not heard much about but which turns out to be something really special.

Or at a comedy night where all the acts turn out to be pretty fantastic and there's hardly a dud note all night.

Or at a festival, probably at about 1am on the second night, when you're pretty god damn mashed but having a fantastic time, and all of your friends are in the same place too.

I used to be happiest waking up next to my ex. But as she's my ex, that's perhaps somewhat clearly no longer taking place.

weekender

Lying in the spoon position with my body wrapped around the most amazing woman in the world.

Suttonpubcrawl

mook

Getting pissed in the morning while the missus is away*, there's something frankly liberating about being half cut while the rest of the country are eating their cornflakes, follow this up with steak and mushrooms for breakfast and you've got the start of a pretty good day

*She frowns on this kind of behaviour when she is at home with me, the uptight bint.

Jemble Fred

1997. Round about December.

(Cue violins)

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Why? Did you get some really cool Lego for Christmas that year?

ccab

Being with a beautiful woman. Being pursued by beautiful women. Watching injury time Champions-League-winning Solskjaer goals.

Beef Crisps

In the bath. It's a controllable environment.

Or, in bed with my lady, watching loads and loads of brilliant films, whilst she's already fallen asleep ten minutes into the first one.

Writing or yes, down the pub with friends.  Or walking around with music down my ears.  :-)

Sherringford Hovis

Crushing my enemies, seeing them driven before me, and hearing the lamentation of their women.

SOTS

Don't really know.

The happiest i've been in the past... month or so, was last week while I was still on my Easter break. I woke up early. So I went and got myself a McDonalds bagel, hash brown and coffee (my guilty pleasure when it comes to food)

But it was afterwards. I took my dog out for a walk along the path, in the hazy sun and listening to Bowie on my iPod. I actually realised quite quickly that it was the most properly happy i'd been in a while.

Artemis

A really happy moment for me in the past is the realisation that a good few hours had passed and despite my brother and I being in the same room, we'd not said a word to each other because we were just doing our own thing, chilling. We both recognised what a close bond there is between us in that neither of us felt compelled to do anything in the slightest to break the silence or put the other at ease or anything like that.

I don't have anybody in my immediate social circle I share that kind of bond with right now, and I do miss that terribly.

Sam

Smoking weed with my best mates while listening to Boards of Canada.

Smoking a joint on the beach, the breakwater by the harbour or on the cliffs over looking the sea.

ccbaxter

Stepping off stage at the blessed end of a performance that's gone well (that is, not disastrously). The five seconds immediately after Spurs have scored. And spending time, any time, in the same room as one or other of my two baby nephews.

(If this was from a questionnaire in a magazine, it would doubtless prompt many a celeb to cop-out-ingly, sarkily say something like: "When I've finished this damn questionnaire", or somesuch. I hate it when people do that.
I've lost at least a droplet or several of respect for Wilco's otherwise-admirable Jeff Tweedy after he did similar in this month's Uncut.)

The Mumbler

Finishing a piece of work, knowing that I've done it to the best of my abilities, and revelling in the fact that I can go to bed and sleep with no anxiety.

It sounds corny, but I think the day I met my partner is the happiest day of my life. We met in her sister's kitchen during a party (I already knew her sister's husband from college), which had two doors at either end, and we walked in from opposite ends of the room at seemingly exactly the same time. There was no-one else there at the time, and we started talking. That was at about 2pm, at about 3.30 I had a toilet break, during which (already mildly pissed) I thought, "I must get her number", and then we carried on talking and talking and talking. We didn't actually start going out with each other for another two months - we lived hundreds of miles from each other at the time - but we've both cited that day as life-changing.

In the pure ego trip department, seeing your own work in print with no spelling fuck-ups by sub-editors is hard to beat.

Des Nilsen

I'm most definately my happiest when I'm with someone special. Whether that's just being near them, talking or fantastic intimacy. Unspoken stuff makes me very happy too. A look or a gesture that proves connection in some way.

Aside from that playing my guitar is everything to me. I really can't remember what sort of passionate release I had before I owned a guitar. It really feels like part of me. If I didn't have that I'm not sure anything else would tie me to the world nearly as well. Better off not being at all without heartfelt expression of some sort.

-

Santa's Boyfriend

Quote from: "Des Nilsen"I'm most definately my happiest when I'm with someone special.

...sucking on some Worthers Originals...

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Until yesterday I'd have said watching cricket, but now it's connected to horrible mental scarring and self-abuse.

I get a lot of out teaching people and being generous with your own time to help other people is quite personally fulfilling, I think.

Being praised, that old one. I have an insatiable appetite for praise.

Playing guitar. Similar to Des, you grow attached to it as it gets irretrievably connected to what's going on in your life.

Making people laugh. Though conversely, failing to make people laugh has a negative effect to a similar extent.

The happiest I've been are the occasions I've felt cared about by a girlfriend. It's so strong, that every day you go by thinking about how to get that feeling back.

mothman

I'm happiest when I'm being a Dad. Well, I am a Dad, but I guess I mean when I'm with my daughter. Be it sitting with her while she eats, or watching CBeebies together, or just playing and having a laugh. Perversely, though, I'm also happy just watching her sleep, because a) she looks especially adorable when she's alseep, and b) it means I can get some peace!

Des Nilsen

Quote from: "Santa's Boyfriend"
Quote from: "Des Nilsen"I'm most definately my happiest when I'm with someone special.

...sucking on some Worthers Originals...

Funny you should say that...!

Yum!

-

niat

Quote from: "mothman"I'm happiest when I'm being a Dad. Well, I am a Dad, but I guess I mean when I'm with my daughter. Be it sitting with her while she eats, or watching CBeebies together, or just playing and having a laugh. Perversely, though, I'm also happy just watching her sleep, because a) she looks especially adorable when she's alseep, and b) it means I can get some peace!

I was going to post something very similar. My daughter is 2 and a half and having her greet me when I get home from work and seeing the huge grin on my 11-month-old son's face when he sees me is the best feeling in the world.

niat

chand

I'll go with making music too. Actually, quite often it's right after I've made a song and I listen to it back and hear some shit I don't even remember playing which sounds great; it's great to exceed your own expectations, and I still get that feeling of 'wow, did I do this?' even if the whole world thinks it's shit.

Saying that, the most truly peacefully content I ever feeling is just doing pretty much anything with my girlfriend and future wife (I should point out they're the same person). Like, even just lying in bed watching shit TV and taking the piss out of it with her as if we're the two coolest people in the world adrift in a sea of idiots.

actwithoutwords

Quote from: "niat"dp
That's when you're happiest? You dirty bastard.
Your first post was quite touching too.