Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:48:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ahhh...Stop being so irritating!

Started by Small Man Big Horse, April 17, 2007, 07:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

I've a friend who vibrates his leg when sitting down. Doesn't matter where he is, he'll be sat there, just shaking his leg in a very minor but incredibly annoying way. It's almost like he doesn't realise he's doing it, and when I've asked him about it before, he says he's leg gets a bit achey if he doesn't do it from time to time.

I've thought about only ever seeing him when he has no way of sitting down...or "hilariously" giving him piles, somehow. But bar this one very irritating thing, he's a really good friend. So I put up with it, despite finding it annoying.

So what irritates you about your friends / work colleagues / family?

Suttonpubcrawl

Quote from: "smallmanbighorse"I've a friend who vibrates his leg when sitting down. Doesn't matter where he is, he'll be sat there, just shaking his leg in a very minor but incredibly annoying way. It's almost like he doesn't realise he's doing it, and when I've asked him about it before, he says he's leg gets a bit achey if he doesn't do it from time to time.

Sounds like he's got Restless Legs Syndrome.

Incredibly, I am not taking the piss. There were these adverts on the last time I was on America about RLS as they called it, and at first I thought they were spoofs. But no, they're really trying to sell people drugs to cure RLS.

http://www.restlesslegs.com/

non capisco

My Dad makes this sound : 'p-chew, p-chew', when he's concentrating. And stubbornly pronounces 'ice cream' as 'i scream'.

Angst in my Pants

I used to do the leg vibrating thing as a teenager, and my Mum and Nan used to snigger to themselves and wouldn't answer when I asked why.  I suspect there's some kind of sexual reference or something... I should ask now I'm a grown-up I suppose, but I'd forgotten about it until now.

...although truth be told I'm now doubtful about asking in case it was nothing to do with the leg thing and they were just sniggering at me.

weekender

I see your "leg tapping" and raise you "leg tapping", "finger tapping" AND "general shaking uncomfortable movements" whenever I'm in an uncomfortable social position - which is roughly between 7.45am and 6.30pm when I'm outside in the real world.  Think a general fairly imperceptible rocking from side to side motion, something like that.

I also stick my bottom lip out when I'm either bored or thinking.  I also make bubbles in my mouth and make them move around until they burst, but she hasn't noticed this one yet.

These things have been pointed out by someone who has seen my parents, and interestingly believes them to be hereditary on my father's side.

squinky

I'm guilty of the awful jiggly-legs. I also bite my fingernails and desperately try to fill gaps in conversations with pointless words. But the jiggling's what I get told off for the most when I sit on a couch with someone.

I don't understand how people can find it anything but relaxing!

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

Quote from: "mook"nevermind

I can't believe you called Weekender an alcoholic. You  cruel and heartless bastard.

weekender

It's not particularly cruel or heartless.  As well as this being a public forum - and as such I open myself up to potential ridicule and insult - it's also got an element of truth.  I can't complain, really.

I suppose I could complain about the fact that he didn't actually write that, but to be honest I've forgotten what he did actually write because I'm pissed.

boki

Quote from: "smallmanbighorse"I've a friend who vibrates his leg when sitting down. Doesn't matter where he is, he'll be sat there, just shaking his leg in a very minor but incredibly annoying way. It's almost like he doesn't realise he's doing it, and when I've asked him about it before, he says he's leg gets a bit achey if he doesn't do it from time to time.

I do that too.  Hyperactivity thing innit.  And no, a lot of us really don't know we're doing it at first, although sometimes I can't be arsed to stop it once I do realise.

Cack Hen

My mum is terrible with little details and it bugs the crap out of me. Like earlier she said "Spongebob and Squarepants" and she pronounces the X in Louis Theroux's name.

Oh, and the worst one - she pronounces Chicago "Chicargo" and it's fucking ANNOYING. (She's bristolian but not to the point where she would normally be slipping Rs in like that)

Suttonpubcrawl

Presumably Cack Hen means she says it Shi-cargo as opposed to Shi-cahgo. It's not meant to have an R sound in it. I was once speaking on the phone to a Northern Irish woman working for the National Blood Service, who in the process of hassling me to give blood came to ask me if I'd travelled anywhere recently. I said Chicago and she went on to pronounce it Chicargo. I thought it was odd, until she asked me how to spell Chicago and then started reciting what she'd got, which as far as I can remember was something like "S. H. I. C. A. R. G. O. E.". It's actually impressive someone could get the spelling so wrong, and having managed to do so it's fairly understandable the pronunciation was a bit off.

Labian Quest

People who make that ridiculous trumpeting sound every time they blow their nose.

Artemis

Liverpudlians who lean over me on long haul flights to look out of the window and constantly refer to the "floor" when they mean the ocean.

People who pay with cash that they haven't gotten ready or ask the driver some rambling irrelevent question when I'm on the bus in a hurry.

Guys who uses the word "mate" a lot with other guys they don't know, as if it implies some sort of masculine bond.

Oh.  I don't think I've ever heard anyone not pronounce it "Shi-cargo."  I suppose I don't listen to Americans though (obviously).

People who ring the bus bell after someone already has done it make me go a bit Daily Telegraph.  I counted fourteen pressings from cloth-eared solipsists the other day.  Mind you, it makes me feel briefly superior, so I suppose some good comes of it.

Beef Crisps

Holy fuck. Didn't know the fact that i jiggle my legs a lot was a disease. Probably means people will bother me less.

Peking O

Suttonpubcrawl

Quote from: "sick as a pike"Oh.  I don't think I've ever heard anyone not pronounce it "Shi-cargo."  I suppose I don't listen to Americans though (obviously).

I think maybe you're misunderstanding what I mean. In my (vaguely London) accent and a lot of other English people's accents, Chic-ah-go and Chic-ar-go would sound exactly the same, because a lot of English accents are non-rhotic, meaning Rs aren't pronounced when not followed by a vowel. For example, "ah" sounds the same as "are". However in some English accents, accents from elsewhere in the UK, and in most American accents the R is pronounced all the time, so "ah" and "are" sound different. Chicago is meant to have an "ah" sound, so with my accent it's pretty much impossible for me to mispronounce that part of the word, but if you have a rhotic accent you could pronounce it incorrectly by inserting a non-existent R sound in the middle of the word. I have gone into rather excessive detail here, but I find this sort of thing interesting.

Hm still not sure I get it, sorry.  Can you do an idiot's spelling guide to the two different pronunciations?  Or going back to the Bristol example- would that be "Shi-car-r-go" with a sort of rolling 'r'?  
I'm probably not making much sense.

Little Hoover

I think I sometimes shake my leg a nit although I don't do it in public.
What I'm worse it is tapping and table drumming, or even knee drumming. and sometimes I sort of mutter drum sounds as opposed to humming or whistling I guess.
I really just can't sit still. I really do constantly have to stimulate myself, I very rarely just sit and clear my head and think about things, it's really quite unhealthy.

Small Man Big Horse

I didn't know that about the restless leg thing Sutton, he'll be quite amused when I tell him about it.

Another thing that gets to me is people who find cashpoints confusing, and take an age to withdraw money. They've been around for decades now, how can some people not understand how to get cash out quickly!!?!

Artemis

Tutting. He doesn't do it anymore but my father always felt compelled to tut at anything he felt dissaproving of. Given his religious nature, this turned out to be quite a lot. It drove me to the point where I wasn't able to watch a programme in the same room as him for fear of the inevitable series of tuts that would occur.

Famous Mortimer

My mate puts his finger in his ear, wiggles and makes some horrid popping sound all at the same time, it's apparently some pressure somewhere but it sounds fucking horrible.

Leg jiggler, signing in. Drives the missus spare. I don't even realise I'm doing it.

Small Man Big Horse

I didn't realise there were so many of "you". What happens at CAB meets? I'm picturing a lot of spilt pints and irritated normal people.

:)

Cellardoor

A work colleague who I get on with quite well eats so noisily that I have to leave the room whenever he busts out his sandwiches.
It's not constant, it's just every now and again his mouth has to open to chew and the shlop-shlop noise starts, normally followed by a cartoonish GULP noise.
Christ!

buttgammon

Quote from: "Famous Mortimer"My mate puts his finger in his ear, wiggles and makes some horrid popping sound all at the same time, it's apparently some pressure somewhere but it sounds fucking horrible.

Not as bad as what my mum, my uncle and other members of my family do. They will scratch the inside of their ears furiously and scrae their tongues on their own throats, making a sound like a pig.

The Duck Man

Quote from: "Labian Quest"People who make that ridiculous trumpeting sound every time they blow their nose.
Better than not actually getting anything out of your conk, you fucking pansy.

Pepotamo1985

Anyone who burps shamelessly should be beaten.