Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:23:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Old graffiti on Borough High St

Started by MuteBanana, April 17, 2007, 11:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MuteBanana

Is it me, or a couple of years ago was there some graffitI, just by The Globe pub, possibly on some electricity generator in big letters that read 'ANGELICA HOUSTON IS A PONCE'

I'm sure its there that I saw it and it was the strangest thing I'd ever seen written in public.

Sherringford Hovis

It's "Anjelica". Illiterate graphittists. Fie!

danielsan

And 'Huston' too - so they got it wrong on both counts. Maybe you should only be allowed to spray graffiti if you can spell correctly.

tony peanuts

I'm quite fond of this uplifting advice which has long since adorned the wall of the Amtrak warehouse near where I live:

Words to live by.

Pepotamo1985

There was some graffiti opposite my house that said "Margaret Thatcher is Gaia". The work of a Conservative philosophy student?

Analrapist

My estate is being knocked down and redeveloped at the moment, and last year an abandoned car park that hadn't been used for years was demolished which revealed some graffiti which says 'ELVIS IS FAB'. Considering how old the estate is, and how long it's been since anyone went to the car park, I don't think the vandal was being sarcastic.

Santa's Boyfriend

Quote from: "Sherringford Hovis"It's "Anjelica". Illiterate graphittists. Fie!

I remember seeing a guy in France who had "Fuck Justis" written on his arm.  The poor guy.

squinky

In my library, someone defaced the no talking, no eating, etc. sticker with the usual 'no giving or recieving oral sex' stuff, but someone else had added, 'no being pompous'. And next to that, someone else had written, 'TALKING IS POMPOUS'.

Conversational graffiti is probably my favourite kind.

Analrapist

Yeah, conversational graffiti is great.

A couple of weeks ago I was in a club and someone had written, "I know you. We have already met. See you there!" and someone else replied below with, "Shut up you fucking hippie!" What's best is that I actually saw that conversation evolve over the night during seperate trips to the loo, and I definitely agreed with what the bloke said.

"Britain for the British, Peckham for the Peckish" is an old favourite, isn't it?

danielsan

Theres some graffiti in the mens toilets of the UGC Cinema in Piccadilly that says: "Is it just a coincidence that Keira Knightley rhymes with shiteley?" and underneath someone has written: "Yes. I think perhaps it is" Just writing the word "perhaps" always makes me laugh

Utter Shit

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but there was a beautifully ambiguous bit of graffiti at a bus stop near me a few years back (it's gone now, sadly) - it just said "FUCK OFF", with nothing to qualify it. So many unanswered questions...who should fuck off? Why should they fuck off? Where should they fuck off too? It's even possible that it's not ambiguous, and is deliberate in its intention to tell EVERYONE to fuck off. A particularly vocal misanthropist.

There was a good thread on this sort of thing a while back. A particular favourite was someone mentioning a bit of graffiti which said "Paul is gay pizza". Bizarre.

Milo

I enjoyed finding this Reeves and Mortimer quote on a wall in Cardiff:

duckorange

There's been the same scrawling on a bridge in Reading for about 20 years now:

Meli loves BROS!

Lucky old Bros, they could do with the publicity.

Jemble Fred

Oh I can beat Bros references â€" when I was still in my pram, my Mum would push me down to the shops past an estate which had 'THE JAM' scrawled on the wall in yellow paint. It would have been 4 or 5 years old at the time, and it's still there now, with the paint mutated into some kind of immovable living fungus.

clareQuilty

I saw 'Betting Is Evil' spray-painted in silver and black on the wall of a Ladbrokes here in Cambridge. Probably just some smart arse kids rather than vocal anti-gambling types though.

squinky

A family favourite was always THE PIES, THE PIES! spray painted on a bridge on the way into liverpool. Theories as to who or what the pies were (and whether or not they were coming to get us) entertained us on many a dull car journey.

EFB

On the bus a few nights ago I saw a teenage girl with "I LOVE COCK" daubed on her hand in green magic marker.

clareQuilty

Timmy O'Toole

On one of the fences around my local park there was the eloquent "Dave F. is a speed addict wanker"* in black spray paint until the humourless bastards of the parish council painted over it last year. It was an institution.

Judging by Dave F's favoured drug, it must have been really old. Speed? How very mid nineties.

*Names have been changed to protect the speed addicted

duckorange

This was in a local park until very recently:

and a few years ago, I had Big Funness with some stickers some scamp sent me off the internet:

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Whoever it is that thinks Lee Spencer is a cottager has very neat graffiti handwriting.

buttgammon

Perhaps he upset a calligrapher. Maybe the big meaty, juicy cock he claimed to have actually turned out to be a tiny, lifeless squiggle.

duckorange

The Lee Spencer thing was there for years. The lettering is a good eighteen inches high, so top marks for the excellent handwriting.

buttgammon

That was some impressive handwriting, especially given the size of it. My own writing is an absolute mess (my old chemistry teacher likened it to a spider's legs, which didn't impress me given my terrible arachnophobia) so I do sometimes marvel at nice writing, irrespective of what was actually written (which is either an unfair public description of private acts or just plain libel).

I sometimes wish there was more interesting graffiti around where I live. It's just 'tags' saying things like "Zane & Grim" or "Andy Cobra".

Timmy O'Toole

Maybe Lee Spencer is a Fulham fan?

buttgammon

That's the biggest insult of all!

But seriously, what kind of football club makes bibs with "I'm a baby cottager" on them? The mustn't know the connotations of the name. Much like the hand car wash in Manchester which uses the slogan "Best hand job in the north west".

Shoulders?-Stomach!

"Can't you Spell christmas? :)" which was daubed on a fence

..and in response to 'Merrie crismas' that someone had sprayed on the side wall of an old ladies bungalow.

easytarget

Quote from: "squinky"A family favourite was always THE PIES, THE PIES! spray painted on a bridge on the way into liverpool. Theories as to who or what the pies were (and whether or not they were coming to get us) entertained us on many a dull car journey.

That's my favourite too!
Alexie Sayle writes about the very same graffiti in "Overtaken"

In a part of the world not far from there, St. Helens Central railway station, the message "Axe the Poll Tax" was sprayed on one of the bridges. It was there for years after said tax had indeed been axed.

Rev

Quote from: "MuteBanana"'ANGELICA HOUSTON IS A PONCE'

Currently sprayed on the back wall of Watford's Harlequin centre is the confusingly simple statement 'HELEN MIRREN'.  Perhaps she's a ponce too, and the writer was interrupted before the message could be completed?  Either that or that Oscar's gone to her head and she's tagging up the place.

Quote from: "Utter Shit"it just said "FUCK OFF", with nothing to qualify it

There used to be a similar statement on the wall next to the old St. Albans cinema:  'POO', it said.  Just 'POO'.  I was always impressed by the sheer class and restraint of it.