Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:52:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Old graffiti on Borough High St

Started by MuteBanana, April 17, 2007, 11:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Seal

On the shutter of my local corner shop, someone had sprayed

INCEST IS MINT!

The area I live in is populated almost entirely by three or four families, and is so insular that after living here for almost ten years I'm still referred to as "that new lad"

Thank Christ I'm moving in a couple of weeks.

Goldentony

There's some signs on my street that say 'school' (er, to point out there's a school nearby, obviously!) and on one of the signs on the way to a corner shop i haven't been to for years, it still says "....IS SHIT" under the school slogan. I even remember the guy who did it, a guy named Sean who lived over the road from it, i haven't seen him round here for ages so i don't know what happened to him.

I mentioned this in the other thread but my favourite graffiti of all time was on the back of a guy's house near my old school, right by the bus stop and it just said 'BIG NOSE' in four foot high gold letters.

Fry

I get all of my passwords from the excellent displays of a failing education system  scrawled around my way (on garage doors, exclusively garage doors). "No Faer"  and "Fuck oof" being some of my favourites.

hundred

On a wall in deepest student Hyde Park, Leeds...

"TONIGHT MATTHEW, I'M GOING TO BE...TERRY NUTKINS"

MuteBanana

Please don't give the hooligans a bad name. If it's spelt Anjelica Huston then that may well be what they put.

My poor memory and lack of knowledge of movie star spellings could be to blame.

Marvin

There used to be a very Oxford bit of grafitti on a back street round some of the colleges that just said 'Capitalism is rather tedious'.

shite on a bike

'THE HUMANE DOG WAS 'ERE' has always remained a mystery and a pointless catchphrase between me and a mate who saw it scrawled in chalk on the bridge over calton road in Edinburgh.

We should have a thread for utterly pointless self defeating graffiti. There's a sign for East Linton a couple of miles out of the town which is basically in the middle of nowhere itself. I've always found it ridiculous that some incredibly bored or stupid person bothered their arse to walk all the way up to it and tippex part of the E to make it Fast Linton. What a complete waste of time.

Saul

Quote from: "easytarget"
In a part of the world not far from there, St. Helens Central railway station, the message "Axe the Poll Tax" was sprayed on one of the bridges. It was there for years after said tax had indeed been axed.

There was a tower block near my primary school with FREE THE BIRMINGHAM SIX written in enormous letters on the top. Last saw in about 95 and it's probably still be there unless they've knocked the whole tower down (which is certainly possible).

duckorange

I'm old enough to remember the East End of London being covered with "George Davis is innocent" graffiti in 1975. I gather some of it is still visible.

easytarget

At the risk of dragging this thread into playground law territory:
On buses, back in the 90s, there was a notice stuck on each window that said
THE EXECUTIVE WILL PRESS FOR HEAVIEST PENALTIES AGAINST OFFENDERS

this was almost always scratched up to say:
THE EXECUTIVE WILL PRESS ___ H___I_S_ PEN__I_S AGAINST OFFENDERS

Suttonpubcrawl

Quote from: "easytarget"this was almost always scratched up to say:
THE EXECUTIVE WILL PRESS ___ H___I_S_ PEN__I_S AGAINST OFFENDERS

I am laughing entirely too much at that.

actwithoutwords

Cycling around last night I noticed
REMEMBER WHAT HAPPENED TO THE DINOSAUR?

Use of the singular undermines the threat somewhat, as I am entirely unsure as to which dinosaur in particular they are referring to.

Shane G

There was some graffiti on the side of a now demolished building a few streets from my house which carried the rather enigmatic message:

FBI aliens live

Any ideas as to what they were getting at?

Go With The Flow

There's two or three instances in Liverpool of "FUCK THE MATRIX" which seemed to have popped up recently. There doesn't seem to be very much humourous graffiti where I go, it's mostly just names of scallies or  "KATE IS A GRASS" and suchlike.

EDIT: I did see "BRON TO KILL" [sic] on a shed near some allotments which was quite funny.

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"Oh I can beat Bros references â€" when I was still in my pram, my Mum would push me down to the shops past an estate which had 'THE JAM' scrawled on the wall in yellow paint. It would have been 4 or 5 years old at the time, and it's still there now, with the paint mutated into some kind of immovable living fungus.

About 1980, the bus stop where I used to live had the word ANTZ sprayed on it in large letters. I assume it was some sort of recognition of Mr Goddard and his dressing up box pirates.  It was still there, really clearly, a couple of years ago.  They've now pulled down that almost legendary bus stop shelter and replaced it with one of those new-fangled glass ones.

It'd be quite nice if someone carried on the lagacy and wrote 'fah-diddly-quah-quah' on it.  Or something.

Quote from: "mothman"http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=8582

Thanks mothman.  I love that thread, but often can't be arsed to go looking for it.

rudi

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"Oh I can beat Bros references â€" when I was still in my pram, my Mum would push me down to the shops past an estate which had 'THE JAM' scrawled on the wall in yellow paint. It would have been 4 or 5 years old at the time, and it's still there now, with the paint mutated into some kind of immovable living fungus.

There's still some graf in Portsmouth that reads "Support the Viet Cong".

It was going to be removed a few years back, but people complained.

It's not pretty - just green spray scrawled on a wall, but I like the fact I'm not alone in thinking it art of my personal history.

Mr. Analytical

I'm pretty sure that the famous "Kill Rusty" graffiti is still on Kensington High Street.

mothman

With a bit of scraping, the "EMERGENCY EXIT" paint on the door at the rear of a bus can be converted to "VIRGIN EXIT."

sparklewhore

Maybe 'The Pies, The Pies' could refer to Newcastle FC, or ,rather more unlikely, the (not so) mighty Notts County.  
Anyway, on one of the benches outside my local Asda where daytime drinkers congregate someone has written in what looks like tippex:

sit here if  u ave pin

I don't get it. But then, I doubt my local meths gang who congregate on their regular bench make much sense either.

Sovereign

Quote from: "sparklewhore"Maybe 'The Pies, The Pies' could refer to Newcastle FC, or ,rather more unlikely, the (not so) mighty Notts County.  
Anyway, on one of the benches outside my local Asda where daytime drinkers congregate someone has written in what looks like tippex:

sit here if  u ave pin

"The Pies" was written on the inside of a bridge on the way into St.Helens off the east lancs, I thought it was the name of a local band, either that or some local sick to death of pies was trying to vent their frustration at the pie-hegemony that exists in that part of the world.

The Sutton Manor - Cock Face one from the other thread is sublime.

Anyway there's one in manchester a few days ago saying

"A wheel can chain a man or a dead bike. My life is complete, Quinn" around the Uni's. very cryptic.

surreal

Quote from: "rudi"
There's still some graf in Portsmouth that reads "Support the Viet Cong".

It was going to be removed a few years back, but people complained.

Its odd when people insist that scrawled words be left in place - I used to live right next to "The Astle Bridge" as it was known thanks to a bunch of dedicated West Bromwich Albion fans.... many times it was removed only to reappear a day or two later, as if there was a crack tagging patrol in the area.  Its even mentioned in wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Astle

QuoteAt the height of Astle's Albion career - some say on the evening of the 1968 FA Cup Final triumph [1] - the words "ASTLE IS THE KING" appeared in large white letters on the brickwork of Primrose Bridge, which carries Cradley Road over a canal in Netherton, in the heart of the Black Country. The bridge quickly became known locally as "the Astle Bridge". After the original structure was demolished, almost thirty years later, the words "ASTLE IS THE KING - PLEASE NOTE DUDLEY COUNCIL" appeared on its replacement. Following Astle's death in 2002, a campaign was launched to have the bridge officially named in his honour.

Famous Mortimer

i like that Jeff Astle story, I think any bit of graffiti which can get a bridge's name changed is all right.

surreal

EddyWhore

"Hello Shitbags"

Written on one of the walls beside the railway tracks on the train from Euston to Stoke

non capisco

Quote from: "trotsky assortment"
Quote from: "Jemble Fred"Oh I can beat Bros references â€" when I was still in my pram, my Mum would push me down to the shops past an estate which had 'THE JAM' scrawled on the wall in yellow paint. It would have been 4 or 5 years old at the time, and it's still there now, with the paint mutated into some kind of immovable living fungus.

About 1980, the bus stop where I used to live had the word ANTZ sprayed on it in large letters.

Swanley still has 'THE REDSKINS' sprayed on a bridge near the train station, and on the other side of the train track 'VICTORY FOR THE MINERS'. I reckon it might have been Swanley's famous son Mark Steel.

Waterloo East's famous 'BIG DAVE'S GUSSET' has been mentioned on the other thread, that's still there bringing joy to millions. And does anyone know whether the graffiti 'CUP OF TEA, BANTER, BIG DOG' is still visible somewhere on the line between St Mary Cray and London Victoria?

Goldentony

I was made up when i saw BIG DAVE'S GUSSET written on that wall in London last year, i remember reading about it on here and made a point to try and see it if i ever went back to London, and lo and behold the 30 minutes i was in London last year - the train whent right past it.