Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:05:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

My Girlfriend laughed at Ant & Dec. What should I do?

Started by kakamuffin, March 28, 2004, 01:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Does anyone actually find Ant & Dec funny?

Yes
17 (58.6%)
No
6 (20.7%)
They're supposed to be funny?  Jesus.
6 (20.7%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: March 28, 2004, 01:42:08 PM

kakamuffin

Last night i found myself in the humble dwellings of my girlfriends parents lovely home, only to find that my 1st activity on arrival was to sit down in front of the TV and watch the gruesome twosome parade across the screen like 2 po-faced morons on a deadly cocktail of sugar sandwiches and Tescos coke.

This was bad enough, but my girlfriend laughed.  She doesn't enjoy ANY of morris' stuff and finds even something as pedestrian as Bo Selecta hard to stomach.

Can anyone suggest something that perhaps me and my good lady can enjoy together, because i'm bloody well sick of hearing about Sylvia Plath and Lord of the chuffing Rings.

Thanks.

Ben Ordinary

I like Ant and Dec, I think they are quite good. In fact, I always seem to have watched their programmes since the first series of The Ant and Dec Show. Maybe its because I havent seen the early shows since I was a young feller (about 14 when the first series aired) and there's the mists of time. But I think they're a perfectly amiable and dare I say it - funny duo who just get used too much by ITV.

I recall loving Ant and Dec Unzipped for Channel 4 and once they got the format right, SMTV was the best thing on telly all week. I cant say I bothered with Friends Like These / Pop Idol / Im A Celebrity much, but at least it proves they're capable hosts.

Ill probably get shot down in flames now, but I figured I'd say my piece, as wholly irrelevant as it may be. Ant and Dec are quite good.

I also like Batman.

kakamuffin

Quote from: "Ben Ordinary"I like Ant and Dec, I think they are quite good. In fact, I always seem to have watched their programmes since the first series of The Ant and Dec Show. Maybe its because I havent seen the early shows since I was a young feller (about 14 when the first series aired) and there's the mists of time. But I think they're a perfectly amiable and dare I say it - funny duo who just get used too much by ITV.

I recall loving Ant and Dec Unzipped for Channel 4 and once they got the format right, SMTV was the best thing on telly all week. I cant say I bothered with Friends Like These / Pop Idol / Im A Celebrity much, but at least it proves they're capable hosts.

Ill probably get shot down in flames now, but I figured I'd say my piece, as wholly irrelevant as it may be. Ant and Dec are quite good.

I also like Batman.

I admire your bravery.

I suggest you check out the Batman Vs Dracula graphic novels if you're a fan of the Dark Knight.

Artemis

Ant and Dec aren't that bad. I'd advise you stop encouraging yourself to make decisions based on comedic prejudice. ;)

I also like 'Pop Idol'.

It's good to give you some perspective

Jaffa The Cake

Ant and Dec deliver other peoples' jokes really really badly.
This means they're not funny in my book.

kakamuffin

Quote from: "Jaffa The Cake"Ant and Dec deliver other peoples' jokes really really badly.
This means they're not funny in my book.

On that note, i totally agree.

I just know as soon as the cameras go off on one of their shows the whores and the coke come out.

I don't like fake people.  Ant & Dec are as fake as spam.

Darrell

I think they're likeable and competent presenters, and Takeaway is an enjoyable mainstreamy Saturday evening sort of show. SM:TV at its peak was equally entertaining.

As for the 'fake' thing, they're probably two of the most genuine presenters on TV.

And they were in series 1 of Fist of Fun.

Rats

Me and friend sat their watching I'm a celebrity, inflate my lower abdomen one night and we were trying to keep each other in check, giving each other hacky looks whenever the other lost control and found themselves chuckling but it's just so bloody hard not to like them isn't it? You could have a pint with them, me and the fat one could compare chollers and slap a leakage from the weeping forehead.
Chollers seems to be a made up word, I just put it into google to make sure I was spelling it right and it's not showing up. I've been saying it all my life, has everyone just been laughing at me?

GoochDogHigh5s

I will never forgive them for the Likely Lads show they did!

In the words of Echobelly ,Won't somebody give me a gun!!

I caught a bit of it last night, when they had Bob Holness doing a Blockbusters bit.

The poor bloke is blatantly unwell (maybe a stroke) yet the moronic audience thought that his pauses and stuttering was part of the act

PRICKS!!

Silver SurferGhost

Quote from: "Artemis"I'd advise you stop encouraging yourself to make decisions based on comedic prejudice. ;)
You do realise that if you follow this advice we'll have to burn you in a giant wicker Python foot at sunrise *
as we all sing the Lumberjack Song.
I'd rather it was a Rutles song myself, but the Squire wants none of my modern ways.

Naaah, they're okay, they're matey enough, they're just on the telly far too  fucking much
for my beautiful eyes to stand, so I try and avoid them myself.
If it wasn't them they'd sign up June Sarpong to do a double act with Davina McCall.

And none of us wants that now, do we?

EDIT * I do of course mean sunset. Sunrise, sunset, that's a song as well...

GoochDogHigh5s

Hairy Chin

I think they're very good, capable presenters with a nice matey chemistry between them which works for a lot of entertainment shows. Sadly, they are overused, as pointed out above. Possibly because they are a safe bet to front shows, they're not offensive, recogniseable, friendly and your granny likes them - so in that sense they're a winner as far as TV bosses are concerned.

I think I probably shouldn't like them, but I do, and as Rats has said..it's hard to not like them, so I've taken a stance of slight indifference with a leaning towards liking them.

Silver SurferGhost

Quote from: "GoochDogHigh5s"Bible punching heavyweight
I'm a one-dissertation-a-day type of bloke, me.

Er, just to make it more obvious I actually get that and haven't took umbrage like, wink
Bollocks, I should've just said evangelistic boxing kangaroo instead

Entropy Balsmalch

There's nothing wrong with them - they don't make me laugh out loud, but as presenters they are great.

They do that thing that good presenters manage to do which is make it look really easy and appear natural, while at the same time making it translucent.

I don't tune in to watch whatever they're on, but I like watching them.

They're certainly less offensive than Noel Edmonds became doing the Wrinlky Arse show.

I much rather have people like that than fucking Kate shitting Thornton who looks like a really nasty person in real life and Davina who's just unbearable and tries too hard (although strangely seems as though in real life she'd be alright)

And then Cat Dealy, who's dead on the inside and is about a fanciable as your big sister.

NobodyGetsOutAlive

Quote from: "kakamuffin"and finds even something as pedestrian as Bo Selecta hard to stomach./quote]

Just be grateful she's still with you if you enjoy this piece of shit.

Ant and Dec = better than Leigh Francis by a long-fucking-shot.

El Unicornio, mang

Apparently one of them is a right bastard. He sent this temp guy out to get him a Lion bar (or something) and the kid comes back with a Wispa (or something) and he throws the confectionary on the ground and starts shouting and hurling abuse at this poor kid. Not sure which one it was. My guess is Ant. Used to see him around Newcastle pubs with his mates, all of whom seemed like proper CHarvers.

kakamuffin

Quote from: "NobodyGetsOutAlive"

Ant and Dec = better than Leigh Francis by a long-fucking-shot.

You MUST be joking

mangoliver

They're not trying to be comedians though are they? Just TV presenters with the odd comedy sketch, more Noel Edmonds than Jonathan Ross.

I don't understand why people really dislike them. They do a good enough job at what they do and they do seem to be genuine and nice enough.

I do think that underneath the facade they might actually be cunts though. Every so often on I'm a celeb you see them pissing themselves laughing as Wayne Sleep or whoever has rats clawing at his face and then trying to be all genuine, sombre and sincere when he comes out weeping and shaking.

I kind of like the fact that they interview some pathetic showbiz wannabe wanker on Pop Idol and can brely disguise their contempt, makes them seem more human.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

The thing people always say about Ant and Dec (in this TV climate where all talent is relative and goalposts change daily) is 'Be fair, they're good at what they do'. To which i just want Nick Hancock, circa 1989, to some on and sneer 'So are child molesters'.

I dislike this culture where you're not allowed to hate light entertainers any more. They used to be the enemy, now everyone loves them. 'No, be fair, Bruce Forsyth and Robbie Williams - I don't like 'em myself, but you have to admit they're great entertainers, they're brilliant at what they do...' Aagh.

Purple Tentacle

But Bruce Forsythe IS brilliant at what he does... incredibly quick witted and professional. I may not like his ITV game shows, but you only have to watch roly-poly Barry from Eastenders doing the same job to see that they are universes apart.

Shame on you lumping Forsythe with WIlliams. For shame.

Lumiere

Ant and Dec are ridiculously unfunny! I can see the appeal (well, at a stretch), but no, they're not funny.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

I dislike them intensely.  They steal other peoples jokes and try to repackage them.  They are also - along with T4 - responsible for the dumbing down of television, churning out low grade pap that people begin to assume they like because magazines explain they are cool.

Other than that, the rest of my family like them, so I'm trapped in the thick of it...

Sorry, its my problem and I'll deal with it.