Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 06:28:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What can't you say without thinking of something else?

Started by Artemis, April 18, 2007, 05:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artemis

"You'll think of my name now, whenever you say 'hi'" - Eminem

Are there words or phrases you can't use without some person, tv programme, event or situation coming to mind?

This came to mind as I was writing an email to someone and used the phrase "very pleasant" which immediately made me think of MASJ and his line: "Hey, Portishead. When you play live, how about some strip-hop? Boozy girl naked - very pleasant."

What about you?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I can't think of the word 'sachet' without thinking of newsreader John Suchet.

Go With The Flow

"Come on" - makes me think about Arrested Development. I then usually say it in a GOB-style voice then laugh to myself, usually as no-one else I know has watched it and so doesn't get the joke.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Whenever Chelsea (or France) are playing and Makelele is mentioned by the commentor I can't help say or think "Hey, Makelele, Aighhhi!". In the style of the popular 90s novelty record Macarena.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Ah, this is like AY's old thread 'Tedious and repetitive'. Heh, apt.

buttgammon

For reasons unknown, I react oddly whenever anyone says 'Chairman', as in announcing themselves as being the chairman. It makes me think (in a thick Jamaican, rasta accent) "Chairman n'tin. Chairman uv dee bward". I think it must be from "Yeh man n'tin," but I don't know why I constantly think of it. And then the silly Jamaican accent leads me on to the old 'Bacon/beer can' thing.

'Evvy 'evvy dub style, rude bwoy!

clareQuilty

Oddly, that makes me think of Marcus Brigstock doing his 'yute' voice. Aaaargh.

mook

Phenomenon... Doo doo de doodoo.

Bugger them muppets.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: "cool_penguin_0""Come on" - makes me think about Arrested Development. I then usually say it in a GOB-style voice then laugh to myself, usually as no-one else I know has watched it and so doesn't get the joke.
I find myself doing that, but with "Her?" rather than "Come On".

Fry

Angst in my Pants

If anyone opposite me on the train sneezes I've an urge to say "You're soooooooo good looking" (from Seinfeld) but I'm not brave enough.

Another "phenomenon, do-doo-de-doo-doo" sufferer here, too.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: "Fry"I do it with "Bees".
I do that one too, but do the whole "Bees, Michael, Beeeeeeeeeees" thing. Which others must find quite annoying, especially my friend the bee-keeper.

buttgammon

Quote from: "Angst in my Pants"If anyone opposite me on the train sneezes I've an urge to say "You're soooooooo good looking" (from Seinfeld) but I'm not brave enough.

Another "phenomenon, do-doo-de-doo-doo" sufferer here, too.

Seinfeld is a wonderful programme, but it has made my speech seem incoherent to others at times. I encountered a genuine case of de-gifting and re-gifting a few weeks back and I've used those terms to baffled, unenlightened people to an obviously confused response. Then, when I say somebody is gay I am tempted to suffix it with "Not that there's anything wrong with that." If I ever end up as a waiter, I will have to stop myself from serving someone with soup and then shouting "No soup for you!"

I love Seinfeld but it's sometimes a pain when I can think of a Seinfeld related quote for every situation.

asv

I may have mentioned this on "Tedious and Repetitive" I forget now.

Back in the day when Marlet played for Fulham whenever I heard a commentator mention him I couldnt help but think of Boycie speaking to his missus, and then attempting a cockerney-style impression of him saying Marlet. I was watching a Fulham TV game with my Dad and I did this repeatedly throughout and my Dad was chuckling along, I was bathing myself in the warm glow of making him laugh only to discover days later that he had gone to the kitchen to ask my Mum to explain what I was doing, sigh.

Sam

I know what you mean about Seinfeld. At regular points in the day I will say "This reminds me of that bit in Seinfeld..." It seems that Seinfeld has covered so much that there's genuinley a Seinfeld moment in almost everything.

mwude

Due to the episode of Knowing Me Knowing You with the American co-presenter I cannot hear the words "not literally" without instantly wanting to follow them with "that would be hideous".

buttgammon

Quote from: "mwude"Due to the episode of Knowing Me Knowing You with the American co-presenter I cannot hear the words "not literally" without instantly wanting to follow them with "that would be hideous".

That's another one of my specialities. And the very mention of lesbians makes me start a mental list of offensve and derogatory terms for them. Not that there's anything wrong with lesbianism!

Santa's Boyfriend

"Fiscal policy".  Sounds like "fisting" to me - or some similar practice.

buttgammon

And when meeting people called Hugh, thanks to Larry David I want to shout out "Fuck Hugh!"

TC Raymond

"Paintbrush" makes me think of two things...

Manuel saying "Your paintings brushes" in Fawlty Towers, or...

"Did he have a paintbrush comin' out of his arse'ole?" - Dudley Moore on Picasso from Derek and Clive Come Again.

easytarget

They: ... witchhazel
Me: That hazel there.

They: ... mushroom
Me: There's no mush room in here.

They: ... humus
Me: Well they say humus, but I don't see what's so funny about it.

Don't worry, I hate myself at least as much as everyone else does.