Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:43:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gig 'whores

Started by actwithoutwords, April 18, 2007, 09:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Crunch

Quote from: dr beat on February 07, 2010, 02:49:13 PM
Also went to see the El Michels Affair featuring Lee Fields on Fri.  The gig itself wasn't great shakes but it was at the Bloomsbury Ballroom, which I haven't been to before and thought it was quite a decent venue.

Is that the one under / in / connected to the Bloomsbury Bowling thing?

I'm toying with the idea of seeing Mastodon, is it worth it? 

dr beat

No although I did make that mistake myself.  The Ballroom is further down near Holborn.  As I say good venue but it doesn't get used much.

CaledonianGonzo

Looks like perennial Trotters' favourites Belle & Sebastian will be doing some shows over the summer:

http://www.belleandsebastian.com/

actwithoutwords

Oooh. Beach House were utterly lovely. Victoria dominates more than you would expect from the records. She really is superb. Master of None was incredible. A+++++ Would swoon again.

CaledonianGonzo

Macca is playing Hampden!

Hank_Kingsley

I'm seeing Half Man Half Biscuit in Cambridge on the 24th and I'm so psyched I could shit!

Never seen them live before so I'm hoping they're suitably awesome.

Anyone here seen them recently? Did they play much from CSI Ambleside?

Marvin

Not seen them since a few months before CSI came out myself but this review has the setlist from their recent gig - not a bad looking set at all:
http://cobweb.businesscollaborator.com/hmhb/guest/2010/100128leam1.htm

Hank_Kingsley

I would be creaming my jeans if they played Everything's AOR, Irk The Purists, For What Is Chatteris? or Bob Wilson Anchor Man.

Four of my favourites there!

Gotta love the bass on Everything's AOR...

Treguard of Dunshelm

Atari Teenage Riot reforming for one-off show on May 12th at Electric Ballroom. Can't wait for this, saw Alec Empire (with Nic Endo) a few months ago and was so blown away I just had to get into the moshpit for the first time in years! Whether it's truly a one-off remains to be seen...

Hank_Kingsley

Wow, I saw them about 11 years ago when they were touring 60 Second Wipeout.

It was one of the best gigs I've ever been to...but they can't really reform if Carl Crack is dead can they?!

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Treguard of Dunshelm on March 17, 2010, 02:56:01 PM
Atari Teenage Riot reforming for one-off show on May 12th at Electric Ballroom. Can't wait for this, saw Alec Empire (with Nic Endo) a few months ago and was so blown away I just had to get into the moshpit for the first time in years! Whether it's truly a one-off remains to be seen...

Damn, dude. You got lucky. I saw him a couple years back and he was abysmal. Started off alright but then went off on one when he saw how much of a puppeteer he was to his pandering fans, and went on some noisy wank spree. He also went 30 minutes over his allocated time which meant Venetian Snares only got to play for half an hour afterwards, so that wasn't helping the situation in my mind.

I'm going to see Kode9, Darkstar and DJ Rubbish tomorrow night in Nottingham. Hooray! Never seen Rubbish on his own, so I hope he's got plenty of chuckles and hip hop bangers instore. :)

the midnight watch baboon

"DJ Rubbish"...? Honestly!

alan nagsworth

Have a word, lad! He's done a lot of work with cut-up comedy heroes Cassetteboy, one half of whom is a member of these very forums! Do you want your legs broke? Well keep yer mouf shut then!

alan nagsworth

ha ha you can't even type lol without looking like a silly monkey ha ha ha

Therefore I win!

Shurrup anal swangirth! I'm going out to get the dust outta my eyes; the lump from my throat.

Treguard of Dunshelm

Quote from: Hank_Kingsley on March 17, 2010, 08:50:34 PM
they can't really reform if Carl Crack is dead can they?!

That was my reaction when my mate told me about this gig - should still be good, if not quite the same for those that caught them first time round.

Quote from: alan nagsworth on March 18, 2010, 09:24:11 AM
Damn, dude. You got lucky. I saw him a couple years back and he was abysmal. Started off alright but then went off on one when he saw how much of a puppeteer he was to his pandering fans, and went on some noisy wank spree. He also went 30 minutes over his allocated time which meant Venetian Snares only got to play for half an hour afterwards, so that wasn't helping the situation in my mind.

When I saw him it was almost like a Greatest Hits set, very little self-indulgence I thought. Although I'd probably enjoy a noisy wank spree :)

QuoteI'm going to see Kode9, Darkstar and DJ Rubbish tomorrow night in Nottingham. Hooray! Never seen Rubbish on his own, so I hope he's got plenty of chuckles and hip hop bangers instore. :)

Sounds cool, enjoy!

alan nagsworth

Come to think of it, I vaguely recall him being on last year's Bang Face Weekender line-up. I even more vaguely remember someone saying it was excellent. Disregard my waffling and we'll both have ourselves a merry old time at our respective gigs!

Vitalstatistix

Quote from: alan nagsworth on March 18, 2010, 09:24:11 AM
I'm going to see Kode9, Darkstar and DJ Rubbish tomorrow night in Nottingham. Hooray! Never seen Rubbish on his own, so I hope he's got plenty of chuckles and hip hop bangers instore. :)

One of the first Wigflex nights in ages I won't be at :( Spam Chop, Hizatron and Taylor are friends of mine and they have been coming out with some really good dub-tek-house shit recently. Ones to watch. Always put on a quality night, although Stealth is an annoying venue despite the killer soundsystem. (If you're interested I wrote a little thing about them here http://vitalstats.wordpress.com/2010/02/12/wigflex/)

alan nagsworth

Excellent! Thank you, VS. :) Looks like I'll be spending the majority of my evening in that room then, as opposed to the main room, of which I'll only be visiting for Kode9's set. Thanks again, an interesting read!

kittens

I'm going to see Why? in Bristol this Saturday. 'sgonna be aaaaace.

Hank_Kingsley

Quote from: Hank_Kingsley on March 08, 2010, 08:11:02 PM
I'm seeing Half Man Half Biscuit in Cambridge on the 24th and I'm so psyched I could shit!

Never seen them live before so I'm hoping they're suitably awesome.

Anyone here seen them recently? Did they play much from CSI Ambleside?

Well, they were smashing! I did, however, manage to gimp myself after running away from a bouncer who told me I couldn't take booze out of the venue. I woke up this morning to find my bed covered in blood from my leg wound and piss (from having pissed the bed).

All in all, a success!

Captain Crunch

Nothing booked as yet but I'm looking forward to some or all of the following - Earthless & Russian Circles, Stinking Lizaveta, Iron Hearse & Leather Nun, Moss, Karma to Burn and Astra & Diagonal & Litmus (but I think that much space rock in one night could produce unwanted side effects), 2010 shaping up quite well. 

Johnny Townmouse

I'm up for London dates by Boredoms, Big Sexy Noise and Gallon Drunk.

Big Sexy Noise is James from Gallon Drunk, Terry Edwards from just about everyone who is worth anything, and Lydia Lunch.

boki

Seeing as I just created a last.fm listing for a gig tonight that I don't actually have anything to do with putting on and am not even going to be there for the entreity of, I might as well mention it here.  Looks like quite a mix of stuff, but i'm mainly going to catch me mates the speedcore-black metal filth merchants Hatewire.

sproggy

Noticed the Zappa thread has been locked so I'll plonk this in here.

There are rumblings that Project/Object are considering a European tour next month to include ex Mothers Ike Willis and Ray White playing Zappa's stuff.

Only information I've gleaned so far are some unofficial dates/venues:

Tourlist 2010/May

18 TUE IT Mailand "Blue Note"
20 THU NL Eindhoven "Effenaar"
21 FRI DE Dresden "Tante Ju"
22 SAT DE Dortmund "Musiktheater Piano"
24 MON DE Aschaffenburg "Colos-Saal"
25 TUE DE Berlin "FritzClub"
26 WED DE Bremen "Modernes"

No UK dates there, unless anyone else has more info?

Hank_Kingsley

Is anyone here off to see The Brian Jonestown Massacre on the 14th?

actwithoutwords

Been at two great gigs in the last week. Ted Leo and the Pharmacists on Saturday were excellent. Small crowd but some stonkingly performed tunes, and Ted Leo is an absolute gent. The Books this evening was somewhat different. Seated venue, and a huge focus on the video accompaniments to the music. Beautifully done though. Haven't been to a performance where the visuals were so tightly intertwined with the music. Very funny as well, which was something I wasn't expecting. Very enjoyable altogether. They should play live more often.

alan nagsworth

Couple of recent gigs, both at the O2 Academy in Birmingham:

I saw Dropkick Murphys with my dad a few weeks back and they were great. Nearly lost me shoe in't mosh pit an' all. I have only ever heard one album of theirs about three years ago, so to be honest I just went because I really enjoy punk gigs. I wasn't disappointed, same old reliable ruckus embracing me with open elbows. :-)

Two weeks ago I saw Cathedral supported by Church Of Misery. The support was blinding (they were who I paid to see in all honesty; I'd never even heard Cathedral before). Japanese doom/psych/blues with songs solely themed on serial killers, yes! Awesome stage presence from a frontman constantly making slow sweeping space-hippie hand movements with his big moustache, long hair and denim flares... Yes, they were ace! But...

Cathedral were about four minutes of piss drivel before we walked out. Your formidable crowd-loving merch stall-hogging hero has not once walked out from a gig based on how shit it was, or based on anything for that matter, but so utterly dire were the lead act - these so-called doom legends - that one quick glance and nod between my amigos signaled a hasty departure.

I've heard rumours that after their first album they were never quite up to standard, but fucking hell! The intro music was some bullcrap folkish whimsical flute and organ job that just whinged on and on for too long, you know like the Brass Eye 'end of part one'/part two' segways? And their first track went something like "I / WENT WALKING THROUGH THE FIELD / I SAW A VISION THERE ... THEN / I CLIMBED INTO A TREE / AND MADE MYSELF A HOME ..." and I'm not even joking, I've obviously transcribed it somewhat poorly from memory but the walking in a field/treehouse thing was proper real innit. It was horrifying!

And when the frontman busted out the air guitar standing right behind the lead guitarist (doing his awful, real solo), and then the dropped to his knees and made wiggly-finger crystal-ball bands in the air... we scarpered.

Outside the venue just round the corner, we sheltered from the rain to smoke a crafty joint and saw about 15-20 people with long hair and doom shirts walk past. Three lads ran past with their shirts over their heads shouting "FUCK CATHEDRAL!"

Treguard of Dunshelm

Atari Teenage Riot were everything I hoped for on Wednesday night - noise, beats, anger, energy, sex and politics. Fucking storming set, the place went mental. Alec gave a nice little speech at the end too, about how they'd always felt they owed London a gig after Brixton, and this was it.

Well, they were almost everything I could have hoped for. They weren't quite as loud as I was expecting, though certainly not quiet. And the new MC didn't really add anything, to be fair he had some big shoes to fill but it could have just been Alec and Nic and wouldn't have made much of a difference. But still! ATR! Quality!