Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:26:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Gig 'whores

Started by actwithoutwords, April 18, 2007, 09:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: hencoleRight I'm off to my first gig in about 3 years tommorrow. I'm going to see Brian Jonestown Massacre who I know absolutely nothing about other then there was a thread last year about a documemtary they featured in. Anyone seen them? Any good?

I saw them on Sunday at T In The Park.  Overall, I was favourably impressed, even though they're a bit less cool than they obviously think they are - they seemed to play up to their DiG image a bit too much (e.g. Anton throwing his guitar off to storm outside to smoke a fag).  But not bad, growly, shoe-gazery rock'n'roll.

Go With The Flow

I'm going to the Stig & friends gig at The Guild in Liverpool, gonna give out some flyers for my gig, and I'm also going to see Flood of Red in Liverpool on the 27th - but with the pants The Zico Chain headlining (Download Festival Goers will know them as one of the four songs they seemed to play on the main stage whilst waiting for bands, the one with the riff stolen fron QOTSA's No One Knows) Hurray for live gigs! I'm seeing some local hardcore bands on 1st August too.
Any raves going on, maybe in Liverpool, near Hope Street on the 8th August? Any ideas people?

EddyWhore

Sonic Youth - London

Bestival Festival - Isle of Wight

The Nightmare Before Xmas festival ATP - Portishead are playing their first gig in ages there and I finally get to see Aphex Twin

I'll probably be going along to a few local bands gigs as well ( solidarity Reg ) and I recommend you check out AirHammer, LesserGods and Whore!, 3 bands I grew up with who offer something a little different to their local following.  You can find them on google or Myspack.

djtrees

Quote from: EddyWhore on July 14, 2007, 03:37:07 AM
Sonic Youth - London

Bestival Festival - Isle of Wight

The Nightmare Before Xmas festival ATP - Portishead are playing their first gig in ages there and I finally get to see Aphex Twin

I'll probably be going along to a few local bands gigs as well ( solidarity Reg ) and I recommend you check out AirHammer, LesserGods and Whore!, 3 bands I grew up with who offer something a little different to their local following.  You can find them on google or Myspack.
OOh I might actually go to aATP if there are some more good additions to this, but if I don't go can I recommend Kling Klang and Team Brick now in case I forget.

The Argus

I'm going solo to see The Fall tonight at the Carling Academy.  Having only listened to Hex Enduction Hour and 50,000 Fall Fans Can't Be Wrong I expect to not recognize a single song in their set.  Would I be correct in this assumption?

Also: I saw Animal Collective a week ago and although I did enjoy it, I wish they would have played more than one song from Feels.  I was quite taken aback by their setup too - I was expecting more of a traditional guitar/bass/drums setup rather than two guys on keyboards and one guy occasionally banging a cymbal.

buttgammon

They tend to be more inclined to playing their newer songs and never doing 'the hits' so expect to be completely unfamiliar with much of the set The Fall will play.

chocky909

Of Montreal at the Scala tonight (2nd). Fantastic. Blew me away. I also enjoyed Wave Machine as an opener and Pull Tiger Tail were pretty good too but a bit unoriginal.

I might have to expand in the Of Montreal thread.

boki

I was going to be good and stay in as much as poss this month, but I'm seriously tempted by brummie techno maestro Surgeon doing a three-hour set in Manchester on the 18th.  Anyone else fancy that?

Analrapist

I might go to see Eat Tapes in London on the 16th. However, that's the day I get my A level results and so my attendance will be dependent on how I do. If I do well I'll be there to celebrate, and if I do badly I'll be there to forget...

Oh, I suppose that means I'm definitely going then!

Go With The Flow

A gig I've organised is in two days - hurray! I'm really excited but also dead nervous at the same time. I won't advertise it, but needless to say there's more info on my website.

Hopefully this isn't too cheeky.

Mildly Diverting

Going to The Connect Festival at Inveraray Castle in three weeks. £250 in tickets and flights and I still haven't found anywhere to stay. So if any of you go and you see an old man trying to sleep under a tree, do say hi.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Mildly Diverting on August 09, 2007, 10:17:59 AM
Going to The Connect Festival at Inveraray Castle in three weeks. £250 in tickets and flights and I still haven't found anywhere to stay. So if any of you go and you see an old man trying to sleep under a tree, do say hi.

I presume this means you haven't got a camping ticket?  Uh-oh.  Looks like all hotels/b&b's in the area are long sold out.  If I were you I'd flog my ticket for a small loss on eBay and re-purchase a camping one as they're not sold out.

Despite the quality of the line-up announcements deteriorating over time (Amy MacDonald?), the line-up at Connect is still aces!  Only 3 weeks to go...!

Marvin

Hooray for Oxford Academy's autumn listings being up properly. Next week I'm booking me tickets for The Decemberists, Super Furry Animals, Los Campesinos!, Pendulum (at the post-Furries club), 65daysofstatic, Cardiacs, The Ukelele Orchestra of Great Britain, Sensational Alex Harvey Band and Scout Niblett. Well, that's the aim anyway.

Anyway, off to Green Man festival tomorrow.

Viero_Berlotti

I'm going to Leeds Festival for one day over the bank holiday. Could only get a day ticket for the Saturday though. Desperately wanted a ticket for the Sunday, The Arcade Fire followed by The Chilli Peppers head-lining would have been fantastic. Razorshite are headlining the Saturday on the main stage, with Ash head-lining the NME stage or whatever it is, not inspired by either really so will probably end up at one of the smaller stages. Looking forward to Gogol Bordello, Gossip, Maximo Park, and Interpol though.

What I want to ask though is, is there anyone else going to Leeds? And have your tickets been delivered yet? Still not had mine and I'm getting worried now.

Famous Mortimer

Off to see ...And You Will Know Us etc. on Monday in Sheffield. Should be bloody top.

Trail of Dead were great the two times I've seen em. Lots of energy and passion. I worry bout em these days though, their latest stuff doesn't sound too great.

Canted_Angle

I'm going to see tool and LCD Soundsystem pretty soon, i'd kill for tickets to reading though.

Go With The Flow

I just won VIP tickets to Leeds. (yay!)

On the Saturday. (awww)

But Enter Shikari are playing! (yay!)

And I'm in the VIP area, away from the ruffians and plebs! (yayyyyy!)

So, a good result all round.

Famous Mortimer

...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead were absolutely magnificent last night. I've not heard their new record so didn't recognise a fair proportion of the songs, but they just played the hell out of everything and only stopped when the venue pulled the plug on their equipment ten minutes after the scheduled end of their set (although they did play on for a few minutes more just using drums and shouting).

niat

Anyone going to see Tool in Manchester on Thursday? And if so, do you know who's supporting?

Neville Chamberlain

I'm off to see The Locust next week! Anyone here seen them?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: niat on August 21, 2007, 03:29:51 PM
Anyone going to see Tool in Manchester on Thursday? And if so, do you know who's supporting?
Wish I'd known with more time in advance (and been less skint). I bloody love Tool.

Canted_Angle

I'm seeing tool in london tonight and yeah I'd also love to know who is supporting, although last time I went to see them they had no support (way back in 2006).

niat

Russian Circles are supporting Tool, apparently. Their MySpace page is here: http://www.myspace.com/russiancircles

Sound pretty good to me, instrumental proggy stuff.

samadriel

They couldn't be any worse than the fucking Melvins.  What an overhyped pack of snooze-engines they were.

Canted_Angle

Tool were a slice of fried gold last night...some guy came out and played guitar with them halfway through lateralus which was extended to like 20minuites...my gf thinks he was the tosser from dragonforce, i'd like to believe otherwise.

buntyman

Anyone see Sonic Youth in Glasgow? I was quite pissed but from what I could make of it it was brilliant. I got my bag searched going in, took too long getting all my clothes back in and missed most of Teen Age Riot which I was annoyed about for a while. I wish i'd gone yesterday too and got there a bit earlier because they seemed really on form and I feel now that I didn't get as much out of it as I should have done. If anyone here is near London i'd recommend spending silly money on ebay for tickets to one of their Roundhouse shows.
Yesterday I saw the Smashing Pumpkins which was another dreadful, self-indulgent Billy Corgan wankfest.

George Oscar Bluth II

Spent the weekend at Leeds festival. Personal highlights were Seasick Steve and The Hold Steady on the Carling Stage, the Carling Stage in general, Maximo Park, Patrick Wolf and LCD Soundsystem. Lowlights include half the crowd for Arcade Fire being Red Hot Chilli Peppers fans trying to claim a spot down the front and therefore not knowing what a great live band is when they see it, being made to feel really, really old by the crowds of 16 year olds there to celebrate their fucking GCSEs and spending two hours getting out of the carpark last night.

EDIT: and yeah, the Smashing Pumpkins set was another dreadful, self-indulgent Billy Corgan wankfest.

t_kingpin

Quote from: boki on August 03, 2007, 09:25:59 AM
I was going to be good and stay in as much as poss this month, but I'm seriously tempted by brummie techno maestro Surgeon doing a three-hour set in Manchester on the 18th.  Anyone else fancy that?

Bravo. Just re-reading the thread. I was there!!
I was gonna go Voodoo's 14th Birthday party (Le Bateau, Liverpool) last night, but it was an all nighter and I had shit loads to do today so didn't bother, but I am the biggest of biggest of biggest (You get the message) of techno lovers..!!