Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:12:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

[muso]singing and not sounding like a twat

Started by A Passing Turk Slipper, April 18, 2007, 11:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Passing Turk Slipper

So does anyone here sing/have a good voice? I like to sing a lot with my guitar when there is no one around but I always just end up getting frustrated at how shit I am. Does anyone else listen to themselves back and think 'well I hit all the notes fine etc etc but I just sound like a twat'? If I feel I am having an alright session I'll maybe record myself so I can listen back hear what bits I get wrong then try and correct them, but I rarely find it comfortable listening. Do other people get that? I mean I can't even listen to myself speaking without thinking my voice is really stupid and horrible. So anyway, does anyone sing here, have tips and stuff, fancy posting some mp3s?

I just recorded five minutes of myself mucking about and if I am cajoled might upload it if other people are putting stuff up. Its embarrassing though and it on top of it all makes me sound shit at guitar.

thugler

Everyone hates their own voice. But I guess the test is getting people to respond honestly to a recording.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

You'll probably find yourself improving the more you sing. I can hold notes OK now because of practising and I can sing more loudly and with slightly more finesse. When I started I sounded like a fairly timid child, and my voice still sounds slightly too young for my liking. I don't think I'll ever be a terrific singer but I hope I can become an adequate one.

I can't sing high notes in a punky style and I lack any element of growl, probably due to the fact I'm 20 and don't smoke. It's quite smooth but I can get quite nasal/whiny at times which pisses me off.

See what you think to this- pretty much me strumming and singing:

http://www.badongo.com/file/2762378

I'm still learning to sing without any inhibitions and nerves- which are the voice-killers, I think. But I can feel them going everytime I perform, you get the confidence of knowing 'ah, this isn't totally shit'.

Feel free to bring those nerves back if you think that my singing is shit, however.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Nah, your singings good there, you don't make any embarrassing mistakes like I tend to, nice work. I'd be very interested to hear mp3s from other people, just to see the range of voices folk have. Some of my favourite singers probably aren't too technically great, don't have a massive range or anything, but that almost tends to be the strength of their voice, they seem to exploit the weaknesses they have, I'd like to know how they find their voice's character, or if they had to try for it at all.

Melody Lee

I have the very same issue with my voice. I can sing the notes, up down and even vibrate them a tiny bit, but I sound really nasal and embarassing. I actually think it's more than just me disliking my own voice, perhaps it's the nasal quality and my phrasing. It just sounds amaturish in a bad way.

I sort of hoped for more resonance and depth, because when I talk loudly I have a nice bit of bottom end on my voice. But singing for the first time it wasn't the Matt Johnson thing I tried for but a scarily good Roger Waters impression. I even did some covers for a laugh. It's not right.

I'm getting better at it but... nah. Not right at all. Though I'm tempted to slip a song of mine (as tarted up as possible) into a mix CD and play it at a friend's house one night. See what gets said.

-

Jemble Fred

My voice is shite. Honestly, it is.

But the odd thing is I've had no end of folk come up to me in person at gigs, and online, enthusing about my voice. Apparently it's rich or something, and is deep but versatile or some such filth. I did some songs when compering an album launch a few weeks back and one particular muso guy â€" keyboardist in a top local band â€" went on for ages about it, using all sorts of weird muso terms about range and stuff that went right over my head. And I'm sure he didn't fancy me, my hetero vibes are way too strong...

The thing is, I was only taking the piss â€" I can only sing sarcastically. Can't take it seriously for a second.

But yes, according to some freaks my voice is angelic. Hooray for me, etc.

El Unicornio, mang

I hate my voice but I'm the singer in my band so it's kind of a necessary evil, and plenty of people have said they like it, so.

The biggest problem is that I can't sing loud. At our rehearsals we have to turn the guitars way down and I have to get right up close to the mic to be able to hear me.

micanio

I do the odd bit of singing in my band, backing vocals and the like, but I do sing two songs - Hard to Handle and Have a Cigar both of which have quite a high range and hit all the right notes without sounding like I've been kicked in the balls.... It hurts my throat something chronic though...

Jemble Fred

One thing I do find absolutely impossible is a good rock scream. I'm just too damn buttoned-up and British to let go.

I'm certainly no Bill Oddie in that department, anyway.