Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:53:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

How do I learn Microsoft Access in a couple of hours?

Started by buntyman, April 19, 2007, 10:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buntyman

Hi bullshitsmen,

I applied for some shitty data entry admin job recently and have got an interview next Tuesday for it. Problem is one of the requirements was competency in Microsoft Access. I said on my app form that I have a sound knowledge of the Office applications but in actual fact, i've never used Access. Turns out part of my interview is a test on Access specifically and while i've used other database programs, Access looks a bit different.
I could do with this job as i'm pretty skint but it's probably a big ask. Anyone know the best place to start? I'm down in London until Monday night so its now or never! As a bare minimum I don't want to come across as a complete bell-end.

Cheers

Uncle TechTip

Well if you've used other databases then you'll have no problem designing a table, which is the first step, then look at forms and design a screen to input your data, then look at a query to extract some data to put on another form. If in doubt, use the wizards for everything.

Buck Naked

Putting "microsoft access" and "tutorial" into google would be a good start. The first result has plenty of pictures and doesn't look too lengthy but I'm not sure how comprehensive it is.

Angst in my Pants

If you're used to other database packages then that tutorial from Buck Naked looks like it'll give you enough info to bluff your way through to your claimed "sound knowledge".  

If you're familiar with SQL, that tutorial doesn't show you that when designing a query you can click on the "SQL" icon in the top left of the query window to switch to a blank screen where you can type your query in SQL instead of using the pictorial method.  Switching back to design view (the set-square and ruler icon where the SQL icon was) will translate this into the MSAccess pictorial view of the query.

It's not cheating, and personally I'm more impressed when I see this method as it shows tranferable skills that can be used outside of MSAccess.

Good luck to you.  Do you know what form the test will take?  Designing something from scratch or proving you can enter data into a pre-designed database?

buntyman

Cheers, I had a look at a couple of on-line guides and they seemed a bit long-winded but this one seems ok: http://www.learningelectric.com/access.htm, has some geek talking you through it too.
Far too complicated for an evenings work  but fuck it, i'll give it a bash.
My experience of databases is just searching already established records rather than creating them from scratch.

Edit: Sadly not got a clue either what SQL is or what the test will consist of. Given the generally low qualification requirements they've asked for, i'm optimistic that it'll be bluffable.

Uncle TechTip

Never heard of SQL? So you're not that intimate with databases. Good luck, it'll either go really well or really badly (tip: don't lie about demonstratable skills to get a job, as they might ask you to demonstrate them)

buntyman

I didn't lie, most of the temp work i've done has involved searching and entering into databases. Looks like my 'sound knowledge' is confined to these very basic and unimpressive areas! I've been working away at this guide and having established some foundations, a lot of it's now fairly intuitive.  
I'll probably nail the Access test in the end but let myself down by forgetting to do up my fly.

Marv Orange

Quote from: "buntyman"Hi bullshitsmen,

I applied for some shitty data entry admin job recently and have got an interview next Tuesday for it. Problem is one of the requirements was competency in Microsoft Access. I said on my app form that I have a sound knowledge of the Office applications but in actual fact, i've never used Access. Turns out part of my interview is a test on Access specifically and while i've used other database programs, Access looks a bit different.
I could do with this job as i'm pretty skint but it's probably a big ask. Anyone know the best place to start? I'm down in London until Monday night so its now or never! As a bare minimum I don't want to come across as a complete bell-end.

Cheers

If the job is data entry you probably dont need t know anything apart from how to type and press tab to change the field you are working in.  Your description doesn't say you'll have to be tinkering with its back end so i wouldnt worry about it.

Blumf

buntyman

I got the job. Thanks to all that contributed to this wonderful success story.