Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:02:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

tHIS iS GUbbINs

Started by StuartGranger, April 22, 2007, 03:58:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StuartGranger

It's Gubbins.

Q: Primus - Hamburger Train.

Round 1

This is Gubbins,

Round 2

This is Gubbins,

Round 3

This is Gubbins

Round 4

Gubbins.

sproggy

Am I correct in assuming that 'Gubbins' is a colloquial term for 'Shite' then?

wheatgod

Quote from: "sproglette"Am I correct in assuming that 'Gubbins' is a colloquial term for 'Shite' then?

If so, this is Gubbins.

Quote from: "StuartGranger"Q: Primus - Hamburger Train.

If that's the question (it's not really though, is it?), is there an answer?  I fucking love Primus.

You'll be describing stuff as 'well random' next, and then I'll really despair.  Oh dear.

Neil

Good job he stamped them with his name, that Dom DeLuise thing must have taken simply hours, and god knows I feel like passing it off as my own work myself.

Neil

This is bOlLoCkS!

This is bOlLoCkS!

now playing: Billie Holiday - Carelessly.

clareQuilty

So, does anyone actually know what gUbBinS is?  I even tried Wikipedia.  Nowt.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

LoL!!!!Welll Randomm!!!11

rudi

I think I preferred the thread that included instructions on fucking your cat with a Q-Tip...

opyty

I really have to express my disapproval of this thread. This is Gubbins and the man was a war hero !

Remember, laughing at Gubbins is no laughing matter.

StuartGranger

Quote from: "Neil"This is bOlLoCkS!

(picture)

This is bOlLoCkS!

(picture)

now playing: Billie Holiday - Carelessly.

Sometimes Neil, I love you a little.

In other news, when 'Nathan Barley' first aired, I said it was a masterpiece ten years ahead of it's time. Having spent alot of time on B3ta, I can confirm that society is slowly catching up to the show. Watching the first episode again, it feels more relevant than ever.

Oscar

But I just get disorientated through all those layers of irony, I mean who? But why? But what does it all mean? Am I supposed to laugh at him? Or at the people who would be laughing at him? Or at the people who wouldn't be laughing at him? Are there some student notes that come with this? Nobody told me I had to study. I feel sick.

clareQuilty

That's a good way to avoid getting hurt. Layer upon layer of irony. I'll never get my heart broken again.

Make me smile

Quote from: "trotsky assortment"So, does anyone actually know what gUbBinS is?  I even tried Wikipedia.  Nowt.

I use the word 'gubbins' to mean 'stuff', usually stuff of little consequence. I thought the word was pretty well known? Surely someone else except myself and bromide-boy must have heard it before?

boki

Quote from: "Neil"(picture)

I'm still laughing at this - am I going to hell?

StuartGranger

It's Gubbins.

Q: Primus - Hamburger Train.

Round 1

Gubbins.

Round 2

It's Gubbins.

Round 3

Unt Gubbins.

Huzzie

Quote from: "Make me smile"
Quote from: "trotsky assortment"So, does anyone actually know what gUbBinS is?  I even tried Wikipedia.  Nowt.

I use the word 'gubbins' to mean 'stuff', usually stuff of little consequence. I thought the word was pretty well known? Surely someone else except myself and bromide-boy must have heard it before?

Yeah, same here. Is it  northern word? Are you northern MMS? I don't think Dekion is, I seem to remember him coming from Brighton or somewhere like that.

EDIT: Yes, Brighton, not Bournemouth which can be clearly seen as his location by his name.

Mister Six

I've definitely heard of Gubbins as synonym for "stuff" (with an implication of it being useless or rubbish "stuff"). I'm from Leeds.

Ciarán2

Even I know what "gubbins" means and I say it from time to time, and I'm Irish. But I may have picked it up from watching Coronation Street or something.

And again with the reference to 'Hamburger Train' by Primus.  What do they have to do with it?

SetToStun

Where I'm from, "gubbins" means "stuff" but usually in the sense of inner workings or accessories. For instance, if you were talking about TVs, you could say that the Grundig has the same gubbins as the Matsui. Or with cars it would refer to trim level and options - that style of thing.

StuartGranger

Quote from: "trotsky assortment"And again with the reference to 'Hamburger Train' by Primus.  What do they have to do with it?

Huzzie

Quote from: "SetToStun"Where I'm from, "gubbins" means "stuff" but usually in the sense of inner workings or accessories. For instance, if you were talking about TVs, you could say that the Grundig has the same gubbins as the Matsui. Or with cars it would refer to trim level and options - that style of thing.

Interesting but slightly unhelpful cause you don't say where it is you are from.

We are trying to work out if it is a northern saying or not.

mook

Well if it helps you out Huzzie, I'm from Cambridge originally and we always used the word in the same way as SetTo Stun describes, since I've moved down here on the south coast it still means the same.

Huzzie

Cheers Mook. I too use Gubbins in the same way as you too.

So it is defo at least an English thing.

I wonder if we can fin dout if it is used in the rest of the UK. Or EVEN the BRITISH ISLES! That would be exciting!

Howj Begg

Heh, Stuart, i love how shit your work is! You have made me roffleeee!

CaledonianGonzo

It is used in Scotland.  But usually only by wacky Colin Hunt types, usually as a form of etc, to denote extraneous/associated stuff and nonsense.  One might say...

e.g.  I'm never getting married.  You have to organise the reception, get a dress and all that gubbins.

StuartGranger