Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:44:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Help me find some ice-cream

Started by ccab, April 23, 2007, 04:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccab

I'm looking for some rare, delicious expensive ice-cream in unusual varieties - unfortunately I've never been much of a gourmand - and the flashiest ice-cream I've ever bought was baskin & robbins.

Can anyone recommend something that fits the bill?

buttgammon

Ben & Jerry's Phish Food is absolutely gorgeous but it gets pretty sickly after a while. I like it, though. And if you really are desperate to find some nice ice cream, Italy is the place to go. I was in Rome last year and I spent most of my time eating ice cream. If it wasn't for the Swiss Guard stopping me, I would have taken my caramel ice cream into the Sistine Chapel. I ended up walking around and hoping it didn't melt instead (because a lot of the ice creams over there are reallymassive) and I was enjoying it so much I didn't look as I crossed the road. Two nuns in a banged up Fiat Punto nearly ran me over!

ccab

Is there any way I could get italian ice cream imported?

Mister Six

Quote from: "buttgammon"Ben & Jerry's Phish Food is absolutely gorgeous but it gets pretty sickly after a while. I like it, though. And if you really are desperate to find some nice ice cream, Italy is the place to go.

Oh, yes! There's an AMAZING ice cream shop near the Trevi Fountain that I've completely forgotten the name of. But it's pretty much the best ice cream I've every tasted in my life. And I've eaten a lot of ice cream.

Mr. Analytical

Quote from: "ccab"
Can anyone recommend something that fits the bill?

Daquiri Ice Cream!

Blue Ice Cream (and they won't stop searchin' till they find it!)

CaledonianGonzo

Argentinean ice-cream may be even better than Italian (though I admit, its a near run thing).  The Dulce de Leche flavour, in particular, can be awesome.

May be even more difficult to import though, ccab, though I'm sure they could do you a tin of corned beef.

Failing that, another vote for Phish Food.  My favourite off-the-shelf stuff.

buttgammon

Quote from: "Mister Six"
Oh, yes! There's an AMAZING ice cream shop near the Trevi Fountain that I've completely forgotten the name of. But it's pretty much the best ice cream I've every tasted in my life. And I've eaten a lot of ice cream.

I've been to the exact same place and it's amazing. There's a really nice place in that bit between the river and the Vatican too. I don't remember what it's called or what street it's on but it sold lovely ice cream and some really nice toasted sandwich-type things with a warm roll filled with cold prosciutto. Mmmm!

Marv Orange

Quote from: "buttgammon"
Quote from: "Mister Six"

I've been to the exact same place and it's amazing. There's a really nice place in that bit between the river and the Vatican too. I don't remember what it's called or what street it's on but it sold lovely ice cream and some really nice toasted sandwich-type things with a warm roll filled with cold prosciutto. Mmmm!

I think you are thinking of toasted sandwiches.

buttgammon

That's it! I couldn't remember if they were something slightly different with a rather pretentious-sounding long Italian name but I think they called them "Toasted Sandwiches".

Make me smile

Quote from: "buttgammon"That's it! I couldn't remember if they were something slightly different with a rather pretentious-sounding long Italian name but I think they called them "Toasted Sandwiches".

Pannini?

buttgammon

It might have been, actually. Is that when the bread is warm but the filling is cold (how I stopped myself from comparing this to sex I have no idea)?

Make me smile

Quote from: "buttgammon"It might have been, actually. Is that when the bread is warm but the filling is cold (how I stopped myself from comparing this to sex I have no idea)?

Over here they are normally hot all the way through, I don't know how they serve them in Italy, aside from with mild disdain.

terminallyrelaxed

Loesly Farm is nice.

Delia does a nice toasted oatmeal flavoured ice cream (crunchy!) in one of her books which doesn't even require the use of an ice-cream-maker.

buttgammon

Nah, it wasn't one of them. I think the place was run by an Australian, anyway so it may be more of an Aussie thing to have hot bread/cold meat.

Make me smile

Quote from: "buttgammon"Nah, it wasn't one of them. I think the place was run by an Australian, anyway so it may be more of an Aussie thing to have hot bread/cold meat.

Ahhh, I reckon it's a form of Bruschetta.

buttgammon

Is it still bruschetta if it's inside the bread rather than on top?

Make me smile

Quote from: "buttgammon"Is it still bruschetta if it's inside the bread rather than on top?

Hmmm, I don't think it is come to think of it. Bruschetta, crostini etc are definitely open faced sandwiches and if it's not a panini, I am at a loss!

buttgammon

I think it was just a sandwich made out of some kind of toasted bread with cold prosciutto inside.

Marv Orange

Make me smile

Quote from: "buttgammon"I think it was just a sandwich made out of some kind of toasted bread with cold prosciutto inside.

Fair do.

The best ice-cream I have ever tasted came from Fecci's, which is an ice-cream parlour in Tenby, Wales. They make the most fantastic Knicerbocker Glories, bannan-splits and a creation called the 'Top Hat' which is a marathon eat but delicious.

buttgammon

Oi! Give me your fucking ice cream you little shit or you won't see five!

Cack Hen

I just ate a Cornetto. It doesn't get any better than that.

Lady Beaner

Is it just me or are Cornettos getting smaller?

Cack Hen

No you've gotten bigger.

From all the Cornettos

Lady Beaner

the midnight watch baboon

I had some apple pie flavoured I-Cr. on Sunday from the 'famous Ripley Castle ice-cream shop'. It was nice but not appley at all.

wheatgod

mothman

I'd quite like to find somewhere I can buy Movenpick ice cream.