Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:44:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bastard Bridge Building Game.

Started by mook, April 25, 2007, 12:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mook

Ever really wanted to build a bridge as cheap as possible and test it by driving a big fuck off truck over it. No me neither, until this morning that was when I found this.

http://bridgecontest.usma.edu/download.htm About 3MB.

I've tried about half a dozen different designs and still the fucking thing collapses. Look, one of my better efforts, and that cost $430,000!

At least the truck made it almost half way. See if you lot can do any better. Bear in mind the idea is to keep the bridge as cheap to build as possible.

Marv Orange

Here is another game that boils down to bridge building.

http://www.armadillorun.com/

Suttonpubcrawl

I love games like this. Someone posted one up a while ago and I had so much fun on it. I'll get started on this one now.

Deadman97

RFT

Go for the design with the structure above the road surface and you can build a successful bridge for 370k it bends a bit, but it'll take the weight.

mook

Heh, that's brilliant, and to think it only cost $1,100,000 too!

RFT

in fact, the key to cheapness is to set the deck height as low as possible, then you can build a bridge for just over 200k...

Suttonpubcrawl

I got a working bridge almost instantly, but it costs about 500k. I'm working out which bits I can make cheaper or eliminate completely.

Deadman97

I BUILD SPLENDID BRIDGE

This is hard.

Marv Orange

DAmm it dont you lot realise lives are at risk!

Suttonpubcrawl

No one seems to have chosen to use bridge piers. Here's my current work of art, costing $387,508.75 (very precise eh?).

There's still quite a bit of room for improvement on it though, I can get the cost down quite a bit by slimming it down where it doesn't need the extra strength.

mook

I've just managed to build a suspension bridge for a whopping 800 thou. I might have over engineered it a touch though, it barely moved when the truck went over it.

Suttonpubcrawl

What's the cheapest anyone's got so far? I've got this bridge for $195,298.06:

Goldentony

Downloaded it but it looked far too complicated and after 5 minutes of pissing about absolutely no trucks crashed into the oblivion, so screw it.

mook

That's good going SPC. I'm still hovering around the $500,000 mark. Bloody game.

lordaxil

Quote from: "Suttonpubcrawl"What's the cheapest anyone's got so far?

How about $160,832.06?

(picture)

mook

$171,768.54. Although I wouldn't like to go across the bugger.

lordaxil

Quote from: "lordaxil"
Quote from: "Suttonpubcrawl"What's the cheapest anyone's got so far?

(picture)

Revision 2 of that design slims down to $156,021.23, but the dilithium crystals are really squeaking, and I've got work to do.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

http://www.bridgebuilder-game.com/

A few other bridge building games on this website. Not quite as technical as this one but a bit more fun.

opyty

Okay so it costs more than 3 million dollars but think of the tourist revenue...

mook

That's a work of art and a marvelous feat of engineering opyty. Something that beautiful and profound just needs to be built.

Suttonpubcrawl

This is weird, I seem to have created an incredibly cheap bridge. I don't know if this is to do with the settings I chose, all the other times I've chosen to have one big truck instead of the two little ones but this time I chose the two little ones. Anyway, it costs £149,635.39.

To be honest, I think the bridges you come up with when trying to make it really cheap are just shit. They're really boring, they're so simple and unimpressive. The only way to do it seems to be to dig down as far as possible and then bridge a tiny gap. There's no sense of the bridge being a majestic and elegant solution to an engineering challenge, they just look like an easy way out.

shite on a bike

Someone should turn this around and create the most unstable bridge for the most amount of money. Winner gets their design sent into a real bridge building competition. I'd do it but this game repulses me Im not frittering away another 5 minutes of my time on it.

mook

Quote from: "Suttonpubcrawl"
To be honest, I think the bridges you come up with when trying to make it really cheap are just shit. They're really boring, they're so simple and unimpressive. The only way to do it seems to be to dig down as far as possible and then bridge a tiny gap. There's no sense of the bridge being a majestic and elegant solution to an engineering challenge, they just look like an easy way out.

What I should have done when I posted this thread was to suggest a bridge type everyone should have worked on. i.e. the suspension bridge. Nevermind though.

Mr. Analytical

Quote from: "sick as a pike"There's nothing wrong with being careful.

I like the fact that despite it costing $17m, it still glows pink when the truck goes over it.  Suggesting it's not only over-designed but quite poorly designed too.

I think you're a very rude man.  A lot of thought and love went into that bridge.

edit: doing it sensibly the best I can do is a very boring rickety bridge for $161,200

Suttonpubcrawl

Has anyone noticed any difference between the cheap steel and the more expensive steel? It seems exactly the same to me. Anyway, I think it'd be a laugh to see who can design the most "extreme" bridges of various types. For instance, here is my attempt at building the thinnest bridge and the bendiest bridge:

Personally,  I'm beginning to suspect the calibre of the drivers.

What have you stopped there for, it hasn't collapsed?!  Put your foot down, you baby!

edit: Half suspension bridge. Costly, aesthetically displeasing and highly dangerous.