Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:57:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I Can't Sleep

Started by hoverdonkey, April 26, 2007, 03:58:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoverdonkey

Sodding birdsong has started now and I still can't sleep. It's happening to me more and more often in the last few months. I was knackered at 10.30pm so we went to bed and usually I am asleep after two or three pages of my book but tonight I read 50 pages and then started to feel sleepy again so got my head down.

An hour later and I'm wide awake, buzzing, so I get up  at about 1am and watch some TV before heading back at 3am, thinking that I must be tired by now. And here I am, it's 4am and my brain is still whirring away. I have the least stressful job in the world, I played football for over an hour this afternoon and I am back at work at 10am, so why can't I sleep? If I'm not asleep by 5 I'm not going in.

Meanwhile pregnant Mrs Donkey is sparko.

Edit: Is it possible to develop mild insomnia?Is there even such a thing? I know a few people (including Neil I think) suffer from it, but it's happening to me a lot more lately.

Second edit: I have just re-read this post and I must apologise for my appalling use of tense. I appear to using footballer-speak.

Lady Beaner

Looks like everyone else was asleep then!

Neil

It's definitely possible to have varying levels of insomnia, sure.  It's a constant pain in the hole for me, and I'm not sure I will ever be rid of it.  I've been suffering badly again this last month, and ended up sleeping during the day for a few weeks.  This happens fairly regularly, for some reason my body finds that a more natural state of affairs, perhaps because of all the hours I spent working night-shift when I was a teenager and in my early twenties.  

It's a huge annoyance though, obviously.  It's easier to get things done at night, but sleeping during the day at this time of year is so horrible, you miss all the lovely sunny weather, and that also makes sleeping quite uncomfortable.  For years, my technique to reclaim a decent sleeping pattern was to simply stay up all that night and then all the following day.  Tough to do, and not good for the body.  You end up being awake fro in excess for 30 hours most of the time, and there have been frequent occasions where I've found myself past the point of exhaustion, and completely unable to sleep, despite being totally wrecked.  So my longest period awake was 4 or 5 days or something, it was horrible.  Another problem is that after being up for 30 hours or so, you're - unsuprisingly - REALLY FUCKING TIRED!  And this can then make it absolute hell to actually get up the next morning.  Many times I've slept in till the afternoon, meaning that the whole prolonged period of staying awake was a complete and utter waste of time.

These days, I do it differently.  When I lapse into a very poor routine, what I do is to stay up a few hours more each day.  Just two or three.  Within a week or two, you're back to normal.  I've been battling with this for the past few weeks, and finding it difficult to sleep and stay asleep.  So I've been struggling to stay up till about 10 or 11, and then waking up at 4 in the morning.  It's preferable to sleeping all day though!  A couple of days ago I got up at 4, listening to music for a couple of hours, then went out for a cycle.  Got back, had a nice bath and some scrambled eggs, sat down to listen to more music, and it wasn't even 9am!  Felt good to have all that done and dusted as the day was just beginning for most.

Anyway, good luck getting it sorted.  Don't forget to conside your caffeine and sugar instake.

SetToStun

Hoverdonkey, you're expecting a baybee, aren't you? It's your hormones, innit? Although one has to consider the fact that you support Spurs, thus making you a mental and susceptible to brainal dysfunction.

The Plaque Goblin

I've been sleeping all night, but now I can't sleep at all. What's that all about?

Uncle TechTip

My advice is to close your eyes, rest your head on a pillow and clear your mind of thoughts to the extent that you drift off into an unconscious state. Works for me.

Mr. Analytical

Actually if you can't fall asleep you're supposed to get up and do something else and then come back and try again.  So posting on the internet is probably a reasonable idea.  As would pruning the roses or trying to look into your neighbour's bedroom with binoculars.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Artemis

Quote from: "Neil"Don't forget to consider your caffeine and sugar instake.
Yep, that's important. Also do consider the 'adrenaline cycle'. The body gets tired every 90 minutes or so, then it produces more adrenaline. That's why it's possible to feel tired at 10.30pm but when you come to go to bed at 11.30pm you're not so tired anymore - the body's given up the hope of rest and you need to wait a bit longer.

LadyDay

Try melatonin, the bloody suff made me sleep for three days. It was only supposed to stop me having jetlag.

The Duck Man

To be honest, this is all baby training. Once the sprog's here, you will delight in how quickly you can leap to its needs, whilst mrs hoverdonkey staggers out of bed like a Tottenham player with food poisoning.

hoverdonkey

Thanks for that. It seems there are many reasons why I couldn't sleep:) Anyway, I finally got to sleep at 5.30am and woke up at 7.30. I took the day off and just slept from midday to 3pm so am in that weird but strangely satisfying groggy state.

hoverdonkey

Quote from: "The Duck Man"To be honest, this is all baby training. Once the sprog's here, you will delight in how quickly you can leap to its needs, whilst mrs hoverdonkey staggers out of bed like a Tottenham player with food poisoning.

Hehe, if that is true, I am very impressed with nature'n'all.