Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:25:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What do you do for a living?

Started by danielsan, April 26, 2007, 03:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koant

Quote from: "aaaaaaaaaargh!"
Quote from: "Koant"I do sums - the funny ones with Greek letters, over and over and over. And I love it!

I'd guessed that, probably from your posts in UYA.
Arf! I suppose it shows that I only have a maximum of 2 subjects of conversation.

QuoteWhat sort of maths thing do you do (student, PhD student, actuary, etc)?
I work at uni, working on stochastic processes. You probably know what that is since you're working in the City - financial maths are based on stochastic processes. I've never touched that though, the applications I have in mind are more in biology and chemistry.

Milo

Quote from: "Koant"the applications I have in mind are more in biology and chemistry.

woo, what sort of thing?

Koant

Well, you can use stochastic processes to include noise or irregularity in your model, e.g. with Brownian motion. There are loads of applications in diffusion in irregular material for example,
Or in dynamical systems (rife in chemistry and biology), it's possible to turn a dynamical model into a simpler stochastic one, from which we can infer long term behaviour.
The problem we're working on at the moment is how to jump ahead in time with some confidence, when you can only observe your system on a short time-scale.

erm..thank you for your interest folks!

hymen spaz

I'm also throwing my hat in with the cunt circus that is the Media gang....

Although I did work for the one of the wankiest of them all....MTV  (well it was actually VH1)

I'm now freelance again so its pretty much unemploymentsville at the moment  which is good for paying the rent.

glitch

I work in multimedia, using Flash to design all kinds of training packages for people like Hilton and O2.

It's not the work I want to do, but the pay's not bad and the experience is great*

* meaning I'm moving to advertising/marketting the first chance I get