Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:17:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What do you do for a living?

Started by danielsan, April 26, 2007, 03:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jemble Fred

I pay my rent via videogames journalism.

Me and SNG are therefore like the fox and the hound.

Milo

I'm a lab tech who mainly produces microscope slides for the cancer research people in Cardiff uni to look at and I also support users of the confocal microscopy unit.

It's a bit dull and routine but the lack of stress makes it pleasant.

Office drone.

Dull? Yes. Routine? Why, of course. But the coffee's quite cheap. And I get all the rubber bands I can eat. And on Fridays they open the windows a bit. So....y,know......not all bad.

Mr. Analytical

I'm nominally a teaching fellow at a university.  In fact, I get most of my money as a result of running a network of private seminar groups that run prior to exams and in the third term.

I'm also a critic but I lack the contacts to make this pay more than stacking shelves.

Artemis

You lot are the biggest bunch of cunts I've ever come across.

Joy Nktonga

I fulfill the traditional "mother" role in our house while the actual mum goes to work full-time. While the kids are at school, so am I. I work in a local infant school as a Learning Support Assistant (special needs assistant in old money), specifically with one child whose statement enables me to have this job, and at the same time I'm a TA in the child's class. I'm also the school's IT support, a mid-day supervisor (dinner lady IOM) and the school man doing all the "man" jobs as they're all very sexist and need spiders removing and lids opening.

easytarget

I earn by daily Hovis by writing code for the man.

pro: free coffee
con: RSI

Small Man Big Horse

I'm on incapacity benefit right now, but in the past I've been: A manager at a fish and chip shop, a freelance online content manager, a barman, an actor, a Sainsburies checkout assistant, a production assistant for a tv company, a garden centre yard boy, an assistant stage manager, as well as some really shite freelance 'office slave' roles.

God knows what I'll do next, but hopefully it won't be one of the shittier jobs I end up doing sometimes.

chand

I'm an 'office manager' for a construction company, although I've come to learn that having the word 'manager' in your job title doesn't necessarily entitle you to much fucking money. Until a few weeks back I was in a proper office and because I was the only person who knew how to get anyone paid, I wasn't allowed to have more than a week off. Luckily I've been transferred to a building site now, where I get to explain to builders why they're not getting paid or tell construction managers why their materials/tools/cranes haven't shown up yet. Tomorrow I get to wear jeans.

Carlos Tevez

I've just applied to be a wrestler.

duckorange

I, too, am media scum.

Media news journalist at BBC WS - which is about as anal as it gets - but also news safety, which is thoroughly depressing.

My oh-so-whacky Friends Reunited profile says I'm a professional in the world of Pub Sports.

Sovereign

Fry

Quote from: "Jack Shaftoe"comedy writer
Anything specific?

MojoJojo

I'm a software engineer working for a large mobile phone company. I feel I shouldn't say which one for some reason. I get to work on power management and OS stuff.

niat

SAP Analyst (That's the IT system, not tree sap, though that might have been more interesting.)

Mr. Analytical

Lots of people working in IT.

NEEEERDS!

The Duck Man

Student of English and Creative Writing oop in Aberystwyth.

Waiter in the hols.

Borboski

I work in local government, working for your councillors, trying to eke out innovation and drag managers together to have interesting conversations and commit to solutions.  So at the moment I'm researching ways in which A&E can contribute towards reducing alcohol-related attendances.  

Good god, there's the chance I'll get my dream job as a mover and shaker in health and social care soon, this will be the third interview of three - I didn't get the first two other jobs, they and the tension have been building up to this one.

Well done all you teachers, seems like everyone I know is a teacher.

actwithoutwords

Politics PhDer. I also worked in HMV until recently. Unfortunately, once I had been there for long enough to get the hang of the place and become a properly competent employee, they let me go as I was entitled to more money. Dickheads. I now turn tricks for my college. Said tricks mostly include stuffing envelopes while listening to cricket.

Jack Shaftoe

Fry said:

QuoteAnything specific?

Green Wing, Man Stroke Woman.

I never did pick up those Tumbleweeds.

Jemble Fred

greencalx

"Academic Fellow".  No, I don't know what that means either.

lardboy

Advertising - media planner, meaning that Mars, SC Johnson and other corporate big boys tell how much money they have to spend on advertising and what their plans are for their products, and I then tell them where to spend it.  If you live in Ireland and have seen an ad for a Mars snackfood product, that was me.

I don't make the ads, or decide what they look like, just where they go and how much they'll cost.  My job involves lots and lots of numbers, but also some decent freebies from media companies who want me to spend with them.

Dream job:  Chief taster at Jim Beam.

swarfmonkey

Non-destrucive testing! It involves using x-rays, magnets, ultrasound and a few other bits and pieces of industrial stuff to find faults on aircraft.

SetToStun

Until recently I was a Technical Analyst Programmer, but now, apparently, when I order my new business cards, I am to make up my own title - it just has to have something to do with "delivery", as in "Technical Delivery Principle". But since I'm making it up, I was considering "Technical Delivery Emperor, Father Of His Tribe, The Stag From Whom No Hart Is Safe, Founder Of  A Nation, God Amongst Men." Obviously I'll need the larger size of card. Or I could just abbreviate it to "Studly Superhero".

boki

Not too many bog-standard office bods like me, then.

Payroll-person-type-thing.  Let's move along.

Beagle 2

No, I'm here Boki, bog standard office type bod, at a licensed conveyancers.

It's not so bad really, these are exciting times for remortgaging.

EXCITING TIMES.