Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:26:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What do you do for a living?

Started by danielsan, April 26, 2007, 03:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Little Hoover

I'm dole scum, but I have actually really been looking for work, I just haven't been able to get one, but I did have an interview for an Offiice Junior role yesterday.
So If I'm lucky I'll get that.

Go With The Flow

I am a student by day, and occasionally a busser at night. Hoping to move jobs and become a waiter though. Although I have applied for a job at the new Liverpool stadium, so if I get both I have to decide - tickets or tips? A toughie.

Captain Crunch

Quote from: "swarfmonkey"Non-destrucive testing! It involves using x-rays, magnets, ultrasound and a few other bits and pieces of industrial stuff to find faults on aircraft.

Best so far I reckon.

Is it true there's an NDT museum near London Bridge or was that a wind-up?

butnut

Quote from: "kenneth trousers"I repair flying machines.

They're not Synthetic Flying Machines, are they?

Jack Shaftoe

I bet the NDT museum giftshop is ace.

Or possibly just very very solid.

Quote from: "sick as a pike"True.

Actually is it NDT?  Considering they used a geet big machine to thump stuff till it broke.

Lord of divs

Hello.

I work for a rubbish sky television channel  (Sumo TV) and make a film review show, which is also rubbish.  I wish I had a proper job where I got to use power tools.....

Mr. Analytical

Quote from: "Lord of divs"
I work for a rubbish sky television channel  (Sumo TV) and make a film review show, which is also rubbish.  I wish I had a proper job where I got to use power tools.....

Is it worse than that Popcorn thing they used to have on on Saturday mornings?  I can't imagine it being worse, unless it uses some kind of revolutionary digital technology that makes watching it phenomenologically identical to being crudely fiddled with by an aroused silverback mountain gorilla.

danielsan

Quote from: "Lord of divs"Hello.

I've seen Sumo TV. I remember being really disappointed there were no fat Japanese blokes slapping and pushing each other

mothman

I do the same IT support stuff I've done for the past ten years, only now with company car, laptop and a minion/lackey (my very own junior engineer). I'm the go-to guy for several offices and have day-to-day responsibility for a couple of dozen servers, many of them corporate backup systems (as opposed to local file servers). It's all very tedious.

Lord of divs

Ha, no there are no Fat sumo running around slapping each other, just fat headed office types who think they know how to make 'entertaining t.v.' by showing re-hashed viral videos of a fat kid singing along to a Estonian pop hit.

The show I am involved in is ok, its just trying to give independent film makers a outlet to show their work, its just that we get no help from the channel at all to make it. ho hum.

Marvin

I'm a youth worker, had various roles over the last few years and this year going to become a mature student in order to become a fully-qualified social worker.

I also work a bit in events management type stuff, and have been known to do the odd supervisory shift in bars.

TotalMink

Customer Support Manager for a large american software company

chumfatty

CSI and thats the truth, and no it's nothing like the telly, Although I am ruggedly handsome.

Whug Baspin

Heh maybe the grass is greener, but I wish I had chosen to do something worthwhile for a job rather than something I could turn my hand to that would get me cash. I do computer fixing for a Newspaper near Farringdon. I thought that maybe doing what I do for a company I kind of admired might help, but no.

Suttonpubcrawl

Quote from: "Whug Baspin"I do computer fixing for a Newspaper near Farringdon.

The Guardian then? And isn't that exactly what terminallyrelaxed does?

Whug Baspin

Quote from: "Suttonpubcrawl"The Guardian then? And isn't that exactly what terminallyrelaxed does?
It crossed my mind, I was recently in a lift with Sam Wollaston and I remembered TR's comment about how he was a giant, and he is, his hands alone are like shovels.

Lady Beaner

Quote from: "chumfatty"CSI and thats the truth, and no it's nothing like the telly, Although I am ruggedly handsome.

WOW! No, seriously... WOW!

That was for the CSI, not the ruggedly handsome bit.

You better not be lying... I'll cry.

rudi

I have a good friend in CSI.

She loves it.

And CSI HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA god I'm pathetic.

mook

Quote from: "Lady Beaner"
Quote from: "chumfatty"CSI and thats the truth, and no it's nothing like the telly, Although I am ruggedly handsome.

I agree, we need to hear more about chumfatty's job. Do you get to use a shit hot camera with a ring-flash? I really want a ring-flash, but I don't want to take pictures of dead folk though. Do you take pictures of dead folk? I could take pictures of blood splatters I reckon. Do you take pictures of blood splatters? Answer these questions damn you.

I've got a friend who used to take photos of dead folk for the police.  He showed me them once.  They certainly were dead.

Uncle TechTip

Computers. *world switches off*

duckorange

Well, I'll be dipped. Today, I got a series of increasingly interesting phone calls, the upshot of which is that I'm going to be presenting a radio show. In New York.

The deal, unfortunately, does not involve actual travel to NY.

Jack Shaftoe

So you'll be shouting, presumably.

(also, well done)

Peking O

Which radio station is it, duckorange?

chumfatty

Quote from: "Lady Beaner"

Ok I'm not that rugged, but yes it is all true, not all forces call us CSI, some are SOCOs like me, it's the same thing, but if I say CSI everyone knows what it is.

Quote from: "mook"
agree, we need to hear more about chumfatty's job. Do you get to use a shit hot camera with a ring-flash?

No ring flash but I use a Nikon D200, with some nice lenses, flash, tripod etc.

Quote from: "mook"Do you take pictures of dead folk?

Yes at the scene and in postmortems and we have to search them and take there clothes off etc etc, not the nicest part.

Quote from: "mook"Do you take pictures of blood splatters?

Sometimes, although most biologists will attend the scene and interpret the splatter themselves and some take their own photos.

It's really not that hard a job to do, it's not like the TV where everyone is an expert on all forensic disciplines. We just collect stuff from the scene, the skill is just knowing where to look, how to find it and the best way of recovering it, which becomes second nature after a while.

duckorange

Quote from: "Peking O"Which radio station is it, duckorange?

Incrediby worthy public radio station WNYC

I will be "talking" about "news"

easytarget

cor - what's the name of the show? I assume we can listen to it at: http://www.wnyc.org/