Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:55:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

CaB Radio: What Night Would Suit?

Started by Neil, April 27, 2007, 01:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What night would suit you?

Monday
3 (5.8%)
Tuesday
4 (7.7%)
Wednesday
1 (1.9%)
Thursday
0 (0%)
Friday
4 (7.7%)
Saturday
6 (11.5%)
Sunday
15 (28.8%)
I wouldn't listen live, but may download them
19 (36.5%)
I wouldn't listen live OR download them.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Voting closed: April 27, 2007, 01:23:08 PM

Neil

So on the new site the Cook'd and Mix'd page looks like it will return as CaB Radio (geddit?).  And what I'm thinking is it might be nice to have a night where the shows are streamed 'live' for people to listen to - perhaps we could meet up in the chatroom and shoot the shit.

Any thoughts about this?  Any preference?

Ben Ordinary

Oh man.

The idea of live radio is lovely, terribly romantic and when it works, its a beautiful community affair where people group together to talk about the same nonsense. But when people dont turn up and you're shouting into the darkness for no reason whatsoever, its a depressing affair and utterly soul crushing. I imagine no-one will be speaking here and Morris rarities are certainly more of an excitement than shouting Northern men, but be prepared for either happening.

Oddly, for T**F*, the most popular night was Saturday and it became hotly contested between the few of us broadcasting on it. [I was best at it obviously.] I'm keen to restart a weekend-based and more legal station but its definately a damn lot harder now thanks to our friends at the RIAA.

So, downloads - the least exciting but the most popular I'd say.

Neil

Quote from: "Ben Ordinary"The idea of live radio is lovely, terribly romantic and when it works, its a beautiful community affair where people group together to talk about the same nonsense. But when people dont turn up and you're shouting into the darkness for no reason whatsoever, its a depressing affair and utterly soul crushing. I imagine no-one will be speaking here and Morris rarities are certainly more of an excitement than shouting Northern men, but be prepared for either happening.

Well I know that, for the most part, I'll be wanting people to do stuff.  Like jutl's mixes before, or ApexJazz's shows where he spoke and stuff.  Just a bunch of tracks being played is something I'll be doing, and maybe one or two other people, but I'd like the onus to be on people actually preparing something, whatever that may be.

QuoteSo, downloads - the least exciting but the most popular I'd say.

I figure I'll sendspace them after they've been broadcast so people can grab them, but a 'community night' might be nice.  If people turn up.

Thanks for the info regards weekends.

Famous Mortimer

I thought Mondays, but any night apart from Wednesdays is cool. And whereabouts would one go to register interest in doing something for it?

Neil

Quote from: "Famous Mortimer"And whereabouts would one go to register interest in doing something for it?

Post here!  That'll do.  An hour long, preferably not just playing songs (I'll likely be doing that, and NoSleep has made some too) - at the very least creating some sort of mix.  Do you have any ideas?  This would be a prepared hour-long 'show' that I could stream, I don't think there'll be anything happening live.  Yet, anyway.

Marvin

I love the idea, it's not taking away the chance to download them but I really like the idea of having a live stream at a publicised time. I'd be happy to prepare something, got a few ideas anyway.

TJ

I know some people will sneer at this as self-promotion, but I don't care.

If anyone wants an example of how great self-done radio can be, try http://www.myspace.com/allthewayfromoverthere - you'll find some 'podcast' shows done by Ben Ordinary, with contributions from some other posters from here including me, Darrell and Alan Strang. They're great shows and I'm not just saying that because I helped out with a couple of ideas here and there - it's well worth a listen and didn't get enough listeners the first time round in fact, so that's why I'm going against my usual tradition and giving the show a quick plug here.

And the main reason I'm plugging? Well, just imagine if CaB Radio was full of two dozen or so people doing this sort of thing. Every week.

Ben Ordinary

Thank you for the mention, Mr TJ sir although it does make me feel somewhat of an Alanist. I do think its quite tough to build up a podcast audience, like it is for live radio as mentioned previously although iTunes being about now helps. They dont exactly back smaller shows though, so its a weird watershed. I made a bit of an audience on my last series of shows, then something cocked up with iTunes and downloads dropped horrendously.

CaB Radio could be bloody brilliant.

Beagle 2

It would be fantastic. I'm so lazy with this sort of DIY stuff on the net, I know there's great stuff out there but for one reason or another I never get round to seeking it out, but if it was centred around CaB I definitely would, "knowing" the people who would be involved.

To go out Saturday night would be the best bet no? People could be up listening to it go out and buzzing about the chatroom, and those that were out could catch the download on the Sunday and react to it throughout the day.

Lewis

There isn't an option for 'whenever' which is when I would listen. If you make it a certain night I'll try and remember but most likely forget. However if I'm in and it's on and there's a link to it on the front page (like at the other place) then I'll tune it. I would definitely listen though, I enjoyed your shoutcasts recently.

Quote from: "Ben Ordinary"But when people dont turn up and you're shouting into the darkness for no reason whatsoever, its a depressing affair and utterly soul crushing.

You should try working at the radio station I used to work at, jesus.

rudi

Ah!

I can't mong, that wiki thing just utterley baffled me, but music n radio? Oh yes...

I'd be willing to do a thing or two for you Neil and my vote would be Sunday, but that's because in my mind I'm still out every Saturday like a mad thing, whereas I've actually turned into a stay-in twat.

Anyhoo - yeah - me.

Marvin

Sunday could be nice, as it is generally a staying-in night.

Jemble Fred

Fucking hooray. I was waxing lyrical about the wonder of internet radio to Mr Ordinary just the other week â€" I certainly miss it terribly. I mean, I've heard ATWFOT and it's great (Especially the Scrubs pisstake), but generally I really can't get excited about podcasts at all. Two or three people listening to a live broadcast at the same time is worth two or three hundred or even thousand downloading podcasts at different times.

I was thinking that a full half-hour compilation of some of the old UYA cut-ups, themed ideally, would make great earfood. And get some of you chaps to present a music show now and then based around the 'Post Your Own Songs' thread.

chumfatty

It doesn't matter to me which night as my shifts at work would mean me missing some.

I did enjoy the little stream thing you did recently, having everyone react on the board, that would be ace in a chatroom environment.

So basically any night suits me and I would try and listen when not otherwise engaged.

Joy Nktonga

Another vote for Sunday nights from me. I think this is a great idea Neil, and I'd love to put a reggae show/segment together if there's enough interest.

easytarget

I live in a weird timezone so I'd download them.

I should add - I am very excited about this.

Borboski

Monday's.  I really enjoyed it when I was listened to Ben's efforts, whenever it was, and would happily turn the telly off and actually *listen* to something.

Downloads are fun, but there's a big difference between that and someone who's gone to the effort to plan a live show.

mothman

It's certainly something I'd download, and even follow live if I was around on the night - but I'd never be able to suggest one night a week that'd be good for me. Unfortunately, no option for that in the poll.

no_offenc

Fridays and Sundays would be good, at least for me, but if I missed it if it was on, say, a Saturday, I'd more than likely give it a download.  Mr Ordinary's radio thing was very enjoyable, back when it was.  And I trust the music tastes of this place to be good.  So yes.  Radio.

Good.

Sunday or Monday for me. I'd be more than happy to upload a mix or two to play out as and when.
Really enjoyed that whole 'shoutcast' thing you were fannying around with earlier.

Artemis

Sundays for me - there can be something quite unique about radio on a Sunday night. Moods can be taken in any which direction. The lights dimmed and the radio on would make for a good Sunday night experience, I reckon. Sunday is by far the most unburdened night of the week, with that obscure 'start of the week' feel to it. This is why Tommy Boyd's Human Zoo was so successful. I'd also gladly contribute a mix of music, but can't offer much more.

Neil

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"I was thinking that a full half-hour compilation of some of the old UYA cut-ups, themed ideally, would make great earfood. And get some of you chaps to present a music show now and then based around the 'Post Your Own Songs' thread.

That's a good idea.  Why don't you do it?  Cause I don't want this all to be mixes, I want people to MAKE something.  Perhaps I should upload some of the old ones to give people some ideas - I was listening to ApexJazz's ones again and they're cracking, and am just about to stick on jutl's - which I used to periodically get emails about.

I like Sunday too, I'm glad it's leading.  Sunday is also a good night for chatrooms.

Jemble Fred

Suggested title: Time Trumpet â€" The Stupid Version... Nah, not really.

I do have quite a lot of cut-ups downloaded over the years, all it would need is a jingle to separate 'em. If anyone has any cut-ups they'd especially like included, perhaps PM me download links.

Neil

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"Suggested title: Time Trumpet â€" The Stupid Version... Nah, not really.

I do have quite a lot of cut-ups downloaded over the years, all it would need is a jingle to separate 'em. If anyone has any cut-ups they'd especially like included, perhaps PM me download links.

Are you gonna talk and stuff?  It'd be nice if people talked and stuff.  I really am looking forward to making up mixes, but am also nervous as I listen to a very wide range of stuff and not everyone is into 78rpm recordings of turn-of-the-last-centure jazz or experimental noise jams.  Or at least they maybe won't like the wild swing from that kind of thing to sickly sweet indiepop.  But that's the best thing about the internet and mp3s; it allows you to pull together a huge range of different music without any real fannying about.  It's revolutionised the way I listen to music.

OK let's see, here's the first one ApexJazz did last time, it's hard to believe these were way back in 2003:

The Norwin Swarmcycle Internet Radio Show - Episode 1

Jutl's:
Jutl mix 1

And mine, all comedy-related I think:
Neil cookdandmixd 1

We should be able to have better quality this time round, TTT has very kindly offered some good facilities for us.  We're gonna have to stress-test this before I announce it on the main site.

Jemble Fred

Just listened to most of what I've downloaded from last year or so â€" separating radio cut-ups and TV cut-ups (and there are loads of sundry topical cut-ups which could be distributed evenly). There's some great stuff in there, the only problem is I didn't label the creator of each file so it might need to be a sort of gestalt thing. It'd need a few links to set the scene, but otherwise I reckon this lot'd stand fine as two half hours â€" radio and TV.

If anyone who heard the last one thinks a second 'JF Gentle 78s' show would be the ticket, I wouldn't mind preparing something for further down the line.

Neil

Go for it!  Those are good ideas, and the sort of variety I was hoping for.

rudi

Quoteam also nervous as I listen to a very wide range of stuff and not everyone is into 78rpm recordings of turn-of-the-last-centure jazz or experimental noise jams. Or at least they maybe won't like the wild swing from that kind of thing to sickly sweet indiepop.

Yes, yes and yes!

This is why i DON'T listen to 'noral' radio. Have you ever listened to FIP, the French broadcaster? This is exactly what they do. No jingles, little chat and it's a state- owned broadcaster!

Anyhoo - when do you want the stuff and how would you like it please thank you?

Famous Mortimer

I had an idea of playing outsider music, noisy things, in the late late slot to drive people to go to bed for work the next morning. "Uneasy Listening" was my idea for a name (although a google of the phrase reveals rubbish euro-rock band HIM have nicked that from my brain). I suck at the super-technical side of things so if you're after people to do original stuff then I'll bow out.

By the way, at the Get Your Bootleg On forums, they have competitions all the time for the mashup artists there to make mashups on a specific theme. How about we ask them to do comedy-based ones and one of the shows could be full of them?

Jemble Fred

The Cut-up thread seems to have disappeared, by the way, so if anyone contributed any to it over the last couple of years, can you claim your cut-up for credits?