Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:43:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

EARTHQUAKE!

Started by Beagle 2, April 28, 2007, 01:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beagle 2

There's been a shit English earthquake in Kent...

linky

DRAMA as a woman is sort of helped over some bricks a bit.

Ever been in one? Strangely enough I've been in two, when I was living in Leicester in 2002 and 2003, lasting only a few seconds, but pretty shit scary at the time. They made the floor feel like liquid, it was a very odd feeling indeed, not like the rumble I thought it would be like but a very fluid motion. Must be fucking terrifying to be a proper full-scale shakedown.

Blumf

eff'ing typical, we had a big one in Dudley a few years back and it barely registered on the BBC news services, but oh oh! Have one in the south-east and it's suddenly the biggest news story of the millennium!

Sodding London centric national media.

Adrian Brezhnev

I've only just heard about this.... is Kent still standing?

micanio

Quote from: "Blumf"eff'ing typical, we had a big one in Dudley a few years back and it barely registered on the BBC news services, but oh oh! Have one in the south-east and it's suddenly the biggest news story of the millennium!

I remember the one in Dudley - we felt it up here (Harrogate/Ripon - about 30 miles N of Leeds) - the whole house shook for about 4-5 seconds. Scared the crap out of me.....

My dad (classic dour Scotsman) said exactly the same thing about the media.  I'm pretty sure the Dudley 'quake was on the news though, IIRC it was stroneger than the Kent one and there was much more damage....

chumfatty

Quote from: "Blumf"eff'ing typical, we had a big one in Dudley a few years back and it barely registered on the BBC news services, but oh oh! Have one in the south-east and it's suddenly the biggest news story of the millennium!

Thats exactly what I thought when I heard. No one cares about the  Blue Panda Pop Swilling Black Country Folk.

VegaLA

We had an earthquake in northridge earlier this week, amybe last week but I did'nt feel anyhting.

Worst earthquake I have felt so far was when I was in an elevator aproaching the top floor, which was the floor I worked on at that time. Two guys got off the lift on floor 7, just as the doors closed the quakes started, moving the elevator from side to side causing me to brick it! As soon as the doors opened on nine I was out of that in a flash! Not that I ws any safer mind. The photo frames on the walls started shaking from side to side and I was contemplating doing  a runner down the stairs but everyone else was going about business as usual.

surreal

My thoughts exactly - no-one made a fuss about the one here in Dudley but the Kent one has been non-stop on the news as though the whole county had fallen into the sea....

quadraspazzed

Bah, I thought this was gonna be about this guy. You disappoint me.

ccbaxter

Not true - whenever English attempts at earthquakes are mentioned, surely everyone but everyone fondly recalls the woman who described in delightful Black Country tones how it was "loike a great big carrrrroot coomin' down the rowwwad..."?

(Hm, apologies for dodgy phonetics).

Santa's Boyfriend

rudi

Why does a story in Kent prove London-centricity?

'Tis only a further 60 miles to Dudley than it is to Folkestone...

Pinball

It's a conspiracy I tells ya.

EddyWhore

I remember the one in the midlands in 2004 or 03.  We all thought somebody had fallen over upstairs, cos it was a pretty run of the mill bang, then nothing.

Pretty unremarkable really

Blumf

The Dudley one sounded like a large group of people running around upstairs to me. 5.0 up here as opposed to Kent's wimpy 4.3, bunch of southern poofs!

rudi

Maybe it was more newsworthy as Dudley post-quake just looked like it had been tidied up a bit...