Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:07:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Couch Surfing

Started by Tommy Trumpet, April 28, 2007, 08:55:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy Trumpet

http://www.couchsurfing.com/

In summary if you don't know - it's a website with a network of registered users who are willing to let a stranger stay at their house, the idea being that you can arrange places to stay for free if you want to go travelling.

Is anyone a member? Has anyone used it?

It seems like a great idea but of course its a bit open to abuse... and apart from anything else I'd worry that I'd be really awkward meeting strangers and just sit around in silence all evening, failing to make conversation.

Artemis

I was a member and have had one person from the website surf my couch, and I'm not a member any more. You can draw your own conclusions from this. As a concept, I think it's terrific and it works for many people, but once you start to network a bit with other couchsurfers, I found it gets more then a bit cliquey and there's a whole side of it that descends into a battle of one-up-manship about how widely travelled everyone is.

Ultimately, I don't want some smelly hippy in my flat.

surreal

Quote from: "Artemis"I was a member and have had one person from the website surf my couch, and I'm not a member any more. You can draw your own conclusions from this.

more info!!! more info!!!

ccbaxter

Quote from: "Artemis"I was a member and have had one person from the website surf my couch, and I'm not a member any more. You can draw your own conclusions from this.

Okay, I have done, and I can only say they were absolutely right to ban you, you foul piece of work. Even Marv Orange wouldn't plumb quite such depths.

(Or alternatively, what surreal said....!)

Artemis

Quote from: "surreal"more info!!! more info!!!
As you wish. She was an Australian (need I go on?) who I'd spoken to several times online as well, and got a pretty strong feeling wasn't going to sexually violate me in my sleep. Despite this, I invited her to stay over for the one night she was in Manchester and when she turned up it started going wrong. A couple of nights before, I'd given her very simple directions to my flat, which is right in the city centre and easy to get to. She agreed to make her way and call if she had any problems. About half an hour after she was due to arrive in Manchester, she hadn't turned up or phoned so I gave her a buzz. She was still at the coach station and seemed very put out that she'd have to walk to my place despite agreeing to do so. Being the gent I am, I walked down to the coach station and lugged her rucksack back to my place. When she arrived she plonked herself down on the couch and sprawled out with her shoes actually on it, taking up the entire thing (it's a two seater) and spent a good hour or so moaning on about all the various types of people she "hates". I offered her my laptop just to shut her up and she spent the rest of the evening on it. Despite my best efforts, she barely spoke and didn't ask me a single question about myself, or about Manchester (this was her first time here). In the morning she hung about until way past 3pm when I had politely told her I had a couple of things to do and needed to make the most of the day, then when she did finally go she didn't thank me once!

In conclusion, fuck that for a game of soldiers.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: "Artemis"She was an Australian (need I go on?)...

I found this bit rather amusing...

Vaguely Phallic

Vaguely Phallic

I think it's a stupid idea. Capitalism works fine for this; if you want a place to stay where you don't have friends, pay for regulated accommodation and avoid the plethora of potential problems, including "yeah, uh, I owe you one".

Famous Mortimer

I actually feel like having a go of this. Not that anyone would probably want to visit the boring shithole I live in, but you never know.

Vaguely Phallic

Well they'll always be some kind of person who does want to use your place for a bed. The question is, in that Groucho Marx kind of way, do you really want to accept the kind of person who wants to stay at your place? And how would you feel if you woke up the next afternoon (due to being drugged) and found your head neatly decapitated and your wallet missing? (rhetorical  question) I really do feel quite strongly about this issue and will be closely monitoring this thread for anyone who supports this activity.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: "Vaguely Phallic"And how would you feel if you woke up the next afternoon (due to being drugged) and found your head neatly decapitated and your wallet missing?
I think I'd feel moderately upset. If it were messily decapitated, then I'd be fuming (naturally).

You may well be right, and if I do get anyone wanting to stay on my settee, I shall let you all know.

Uncle TechTip

Well y'know, the 'drugging' fear must be playing on the minds of the couchees too, so it's swings & roundabouts. Don't assume the worst!

gazzyk1ns

Artemis - basically, you were just disappointed that the encounter didn't result in sex, weren't you?

:appropriate winky:

Artemis

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"Artemis - basically, you were just disappointed that the encounter didn't result in sex, weren't you?
yes

Timmy O'Toole

Quote from: "Uncle TechTip"Well y'know, the 'drugging' fear must be playing on the minds of the couchees too, so it's swings & roundabouts. Don't assume the worst!

Well exactly. Although I wouldn't do it myself, it's nice that there are people out there who are trusting enough to allow complete strangers to stay in their homes/stay with complete strangers. Sort of bucks the trend doesn't it?

jutl

Quote from: "Timmy O'Toole"
Quote from: "Uncle TechTip"Well y'know, the 'drugging' fear must be playing on the minds of the couchees too, so it's swings & roundabouts. Don't assume the worst!

Well exactly. Although I wouldn't do it myself, it's nice that there are people out there who are trusting enough to allow complete strangers to stay in their homes/stay with complete strangers. Sort of bucks the trend doesn't it?

Depends on if you see the trend as being mistrustfulness or stupidity, I guess.