Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:46:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Catchphrases

Started by Artemis, April 28, 2007, 08:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Utter Shit

I realised the other day that I've unwittingly taken on a few of Russell Brand's catchphrases from his radio show. I think it's understandable, he has a very unique style of delivery that is quite easy to fall into - a couple of my mates do the same without really knowing why or even realising unless someone mentions it. I sometimes do deliberately copy some of his lines (though intended to be taken ironically), for example saying "Citing!" in a...well, excited way, instead of saying something is exciting.

It's mainly more subtle things that I only notice after I've said something, though - for example if I disagree with someone, I'll make my point and follow it up with "...if anything", for example if someone says they don't like something, I might go "I don't agree - it's nice, if anything".

Not a good example. But you see what I mean.

neveragain

'That's the best (x) I've had since Gary Wilmot's wedding!'
Another line lifted from Alan Partridge, I fear.

'Taxi, whoa!' - Can be used in any situation, regardless of sense, and came from a story in a newspaper in which a vicar was dragged along the road by a passing taxi. I forget how he managed to get stuck in it but I honestly couldn't stop laughing at the mental image when I first heard it, despite the fact that he probably died and it isn't my cup of tea to laugh at such things. Generally.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

"Table for one, Sir?", said whenever some freakishly ugly animal/alien/person appears on screen.

This was actually coined by an ex girlfriend when we were half watching Evil Dead III with the sound turned down on a bus on the way to see Suede in 1994.

It's the background details which make a story, I think.

Also whenever I see something excessively maudlin on T.V, I have no choice but to say  "I hate to see you this way, Mr Manilow" in the style of a sympathetic barman at closing time. Imagine a maudlin Barry Manilow at a piano in an empty bar... I don't think I'm explaining this very well.

Also, "The Kraken Awakes" when some weird looking drunk person waddles past you on the street.

Oh, and it is impossible to say the word "wafer" without saying it in the style of John Cleese's French waiter from The Meaning of Life.  

I have tons probably, and I appreciate that they all make me sound like a tosser.

buttgammon

Quote from: "Ballad of Ballard Berkley"
Oh, and it is impossible to say the word "wafer" without saying it in the style of John Cleese's French waiter from The Meaning of Life.  

I do that a lot, too. It's just irresistible!

"The wall must have collapsed and killed all of those people because it was (switching to Python voice) waf-airre thin."

I suppose it's not always appropriate, but I still think the legal proceedings by the families of the deceased were a bit harsh.

duckorange

*Monty Burns voice* "Ex-cellent", for which I am truly sorry.

I've also taken to calling random people "Alright Dave", so I fear I am turning into Trigger.

SetToStun

I have a couple of no-doubt irritating verbal habits. When asked if I'm well, I always respond "tolerably so, thank you" (or "tolerably well, thank you" if just asked how I am).

I am simply awful at remembering names, so most blokes are just "that man", with "that bird" for the ladies.

"That's not what I heard" or "so I heard" when there's any chance of an innuendo.

"Oh look - here come all the Village People" if a chum dresses with a bit too much elan.

Many others, but those are probably the most common and therefore irritating.

Brunette Romana 2

"You're living in a world of make-believe" a la Homer J. and the one that's really lived on in our house is " You want the moon on a stick". Lee and Herring: now, they was the days......

Fry

Quote from: "non capisco"
Quote from: "Fry""Thats what she said!" Whenever a innuendo presents itself. If used corrrectly the user gets high fives from everybody in the vicinity.

It started ages ago when I was trying to annoy my friend, then it caught on, and people I don't know keep saying it to me (this is all at my school, by the way) so I am secretly proud.

Are you Michael Scott?
Could be, who is he?

(sorry if I am displaying extreme stupidity, it's not my day)

duckorange

Having just returned from the woks canteen, I caught myself doing a Harry Hill when ordering over the counter:

"CHIPSSSSSSS"

Oh, popular culture, what have you done to me?

squinky

Ever since I had various bits of snooker lore explained to me, I've taken to expressing happiness by exclaiming, "right side of the blue, baby!"

My friends don't appreciate it as much as they might, but it serves them right for teaching me about snooker.

My father's inexplicably fond of doing the sea captain voice from The Simpsons and going, "arrr, squiddy!" whenever he sees any sort of fish.

King of scurf

A catchphrase I'm currently trying to develop is, "This is a bit of a hot potato" (in a politician's voice) whenever I eat a jacket potato.  Sadly I keep forgetting and I don't really like jacket potatoes anyway.  Actually it would probably work better with roast potatoes because they really are a bit of a potato rather than an actual potato.

actwithoutwords

Quote from: "Fry""Thats what she said!" Whenever a innuendo presents itself. If used corrrectly the user gets high fives from everybody in the vicinity.
I do that as well, though particularly when said innuendo makes no sense whatsoever. See also, "Chance would be a fine thing."

I also inordinately use the phrases "Well, that's just how I roll" and I throughly enjoy employing the sentence construction: "X is nothing if not Y".

I am very annoying. But I amuse myself far more than I have a right to.

non capisco

Quote from: "Fry"

Are you Michael Scott?
Could be, who is he?

(sorry if I am displaying extreme stupidity, it's not my day)[/quote]

He's the 'David Brent' character in the US version of The Office, who is also very fond of 'that's what she said'.

I've managed to start a trend amongst my close friends and girlfriend of rhyming everything said - not even good rhymes, just phonetic rhymes of nonsense. So if you were to say "that's what she said", then it would be changed to "cats cot gee fled"/"shats flot bee med"/"flats shot nee lead"... really enormously unfunny but the persistance and now almost OCD nature of it keeps it going. I hope one day to not do it ever again but mance muud lee a mine bring (work it out..).

mjki5gs2

My friend and I went through quite a lengthy phase of saying "Oh (x), what won't you say?" while talking with anyone, but especially when watching sitcoms, I don't know where it came from but i don't think for one second that we made it up.

Utter Shit

Oh yeah I do something like that, usually with Homer in The Simpsons..."Oh Homer, what WILL you do next?".

Go With The Flow

I sometimes do "[x] is crazy, you're crazy" in a Scrubs - "Hooch is crazy" voice. I also try and crowbar in GOB's "Come On!" but no-one else gets the reference. I do go for the occassional TMWRNJ phrase too "I'm not saying I'm Jesus, but I'll let other people say it for me" or "ahhhhhhhh" (or when someone else does it "no, no 'ahhhh'")

swarfmonkey

I've started using CJ's catchphrase (Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin):

I didn't get where I am today by ......

petula dusty

Quote from: "DevlinC"I've managed to start a trend amongst my close friends and girlfriend of rhyming everything said - not even good rhymes, just phonetic rhymes of nonsense. So if you were to say "that's what she said", then it would be changed to "cats cot gee fled"/"shats flot bee med"/"flats shot nee lead"... really enormously unfunny but the persistance and now almost OCD nature of it keeps it going. I hope one day to not do it ever again but mance muud lee a mine bring (work it out..).

That made me laugh and I can imagine it being amusing if I did it myself but that everyone I spoke to would want to kill me.

For a while my daughter would say 'That's discrimination' after nearly everything someone said but it's recently changed to 'Ooooh, defensive!'. She also says 'Yeahhh, course you did' after I've told her anything. She's very annoying.

SetToStun

Bloody hell - she's a bit advanced for a baby, isn't she?

Godzilla Bankrolls

I still say "BURRRRRRNED!!" in a chesty loud voice - a la Kelso off of That 70s Show - whenever I'm in the company of someone who has just been insulted. It makes everyone happy!

Russ

I always itch to say Fry's line from the Futurama episode when they're deducing who has dun all them murders.

Fry:[to Dr Zoidberg] This is boring. You're boring.

Turns out it just comes over as really offensive though.

Timmy O'Toole

C'MON! In an obnoxious GOB manner. No-one gets it though, obviously, since Arrested Development was seen by about 10 people in the UK, all of whom seem to post on this board.

ArchieGemmel

I use 'Well, that's just how I roll' as well, I think I stole it from Jamie Foxx's character in Miami Vice beacuse it was used in such a stupid way.

Go With The Flow

When driving, I do a Happy Gilmore style heckle when something annoys me - "Nice park/Well done turining in the middle of the road/<insert>,...Jackass!"

It's fun.

petula dusty

Quote from: "petula dusty"

For a while my daughter would say 'That's discrimination' after nearly everything someone said but it's recently changed to 'Ooooh, defensive!'. She also says 'Yeahhh, course you did' after I've told her anything. She's very annoying.

Quote from: "SetToStun"Bloody hell - she's a bit advanced for a baby, isn't she?

She would be if she wasn't 14.  I do have a baby son though.

(Yes we know - the whole universe)