Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:24:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Why were there so many users on Fri Feb 11, 2005 at 10:36 pm?

Started by Al Tha Funkee Homosapien, April 28, 2007, 09:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

butnut

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Milo

I wonder if there'll be as many people around next time there's new Morris on the telly?  

Nathan Barley pre-dates my being here, but I always imagine a good chunk of those 250 people asking 'What is this shite?'.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Wasn't it mainly new people signing up to say "OMG LOLZ!" and then turning abusive when regular users said it was shit?

Hollyoaks omnibus

Quote from: "Hollyoaks omnibus"They hadn't all been banned back then.
Who has been banned, altogether - anyone know?

Incidentally, what with this thread and the one about log-ins, could there be a version of the 'Techy' thread in General Discussion for website questions? (perhaps there is one already and I haven't seen it), since alot of the time the answer you're looking for wouldn't only be providable by a moderator.

Catalogue Trousers

Boing's been definitively banned, hasn't he? As well as Niggle/Naggle/fupping/etc?

And I suspect that mattp of the fireman's lift fetish and plummugs came close, but I don't think that he was ever banned as such.

Edited to add:

QuoteWasn't it mainly new people signing up to say "OMG LOLZ!" and then turning abusive when regular users said it was shit?

Oddly enough, I've just been through the first six or so pages quickly, and there's not a single wacky text-speak comment to be seen. And only a few posters defending the thing. Is it possible that the memory cheats?

Neil

Wasn't it something to do with a load of sly two-faced crowd-following twats having not yet decided that they'd been "usurped" and hence departing for a cheap VerbWhores rip-off while simultaneously trying to poach as many "good eggs" as they could, with scant disregard for how it would effect the forum they'd spent years making tens of thousands of combined posts on?

QuoteFirst night of Nathan Barley

Oh yeah that was it.  I was close, though.

actwithoutwords

Quote from: "Neil"while simultaneously trying to poach as many "good eggs" as they could,

I can just see Frinky now, running between a PC and a saucepan of boiling water.

Neil

...and someone else's wife who he's been fucking for a while.  Oooh, bad old bitchy me!  I went too far.  Apparently this is the second time he's done the 'can't build my own userbase so I'll just nick one instead' thing, too.  Maybe he was raised by strict Victorian parents who never let him own his own toys, so he had to take other people's and stash them in hedges.

EDIT:  Yeah, mrpants, fair enough.

CaledonianGonzo

mrpants

Come on guys, I thought we'd reached some sort of détente -it's pointless opening old wounds.  Let's all play nice.

rudi

Quote from: "CaledonianGonzo"Are 'good eggs' still being poached?

I do enjoy a good poached egg.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: "Catalogue Trousers"
QuoteWasn't it mainly new people signing up to say "OMG LOLZ!" and then turning abusive when regular users said it was shit?

Oddly enough, I've just been through the first six or so pages quickly, and there's not a single wacky text-speak comment to be seen. And only a few posters defending the thing. Is it possible that the memory cheats?
It's quite possible. I was still on crappy old dial up back then and I wasn't that interested in Barley so I didn't pay too much attention to the threads about it. There seemed to be a lot of arguments when I did check them though, the overriding impression of which was of new users expecting the show to be unequivocally loved on here and being taken aback that that wasn't the case.

The Widow of Brid

Quote from: "mrpants"Come on guys, I thought we'd reached some sort of détente -it's pointless opening old wounds.  Let's all play nice.

Can we still laugh at  'yeah, we've been fucking for a while now'? Because - speaking purely as a rubbernecking ghoul with no emotional investment at all in the row in question - that line produced a laugh/cringe that a BBC 3 sitcom would kill for.

edited for typo

NoSleep

I think I might have been lurking around that time.

If it hadn't been for this forum, which I had only become aware of through UK Nova, I think I would have viewed the first episode and then forgot to bother watching any of the rest. Much like what happened after seeing the first 'Jam' - I only got to see any more of them recently and was underwhelmed - again, only bothering to catch up on them, perhaps, because of this forum.

Because of the ongoing discussion about Nathan Barley, I morbidly watched them all to compare notes. It won't happen again.

MissInformed

Quote from: "Mrs Trousers"Can we still laugh at  'yeah, we've been fucking for a while now'? Because - speaking purely as a rubbernecking ghoul with no emotional investment at all in the row in question - that line produced a laugh/cringe that a BBC 3 sitcom would kill for.
I bloody hope we can. This time next year (or thereabouts) I am planning to use "yeah, we've been fucking for a couple of years now" - I'm counting the days, don't spoil my fun by banning it.

ab901

Can someone point me in the direction of the thread which Charlie Brooker supposedly appeared in defending Barley?  Unless I'm incorrect that he did..

MissInformed

Quote from: "ab901"Can someone point me in the direction of the thread which Charlie Brooker supposedly appeared in defending Barley?  Unless I'm incorrect that he did..
My ovine companion suggests that I type this at you:

http://chilled.cream.org/forums/search.php?search_author=Charlie+Brooker

ab901

Quote from: "MissInformed"
Quote from: "ab901"Can someone point me in the direction of the thread which Charlie Brooker supposedly appeared in defending Barley?  Unless I'm incorrect that he did..
My ovine companion suggests that I type this at you:

http://chilled.cream.org/forums/search.php?search_author=Charlie+Brooker

Cheers!